XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? Debates On This Subject Heating Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? Debates On This Subject Heating Up

Here is my review.

As we already know that Jaguar and Aston Martin are related. I own an 04 XKR myself. I had the opportunity to test drive the 08 XKR (X150) body style and the Aston Martin DB9 convertibles. Here is my overall review. The XKR is gorgeous and sexy all around. The model I test drove was an 08 XKR and it felt very similar to my XKR I have now. I like the new body style it has some new technology features that I like. Its fast and I love the styling. Next I had the opportunity to test drive an 06 DB9. The DB9 is stunning and sexy. I like the door handles and the way the doors opens its very unique. The exhaust is cool I liked the sound. It was fast as well. Then I test drove an 08 Vantage as well. I like the Vantage it was cool. Overall I preferred the Jaguar over the Aston and here is why. The Jaguar is faster than the Aston. The Jaguar was more sexy and desirable over the Aston. The Jaguar interior was better than the Aston. The feeling inside the Jaguar was better than the Aston. Its kinda hard to explain but the Jaguar gave me a better feeling that unique. Dont get me wrong everybody likes James Bond and the Aston made you feel like Bond to an extent. I liked the Aston. But overall the Jaguar was the best also it cost less and you get to drive the better and faster car for less. If your gonna spend double for an Aston Martin think twice its better to get the Jag instead. This is my review and my opinion only. I do like the DB9 and preferred it over the Vantage.

Whats your thoughts on this subject ? Debates are heating up on this site

Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? My Real Review Discuss - 6speedonline.com Forums

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Looks like you are trying to provoke some controversy by posting how much better a Jaguar is than an Aston-Martin on an Aston-Martin forum no less. For those in need of an addadicktome operation, the AM will serve the purpose better than a Jaguar.

Doug

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

There is 2 other threads over there on the 1st page people inquiring about the XKR. So topics are being talked about on the AM forum. Others are trying to get a comparison as well. I gave my 2 cents.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The point is that likely most people who buy the AM are doing so to show how rich and successful they are. They are not about to go for something that is better but less $ even if that something other is a better product. Just like the guy on that forum who bragged that he wears a Patek Phillipe watch even though he knows a Casio is better--more power to him.

Doug

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast

I do like the DB9 and preferred it over the Vantage.

Whats your thoughts on this subject ? Debates are heating up on this site

Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? My Real Review Discuss - 6speedonline.com Forums
Exactly same as yours , DB9 and DBS are my fave models to AM . I think I would go for AM then Jag but when Ford owned these two brands things could be different because Astons largely used Jaguar parts .
If you like to impress girls , Jaguar is also up to the job lol

Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

Again everything is my opinion. I like AM but I prefer the Jag better.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I drove a 2007 AM Vantage before getting my 2007 Jag XK. Loved both, but couldn't see why I should have paid more for the Vantage. I thought it was a bit less car, and for more money! Add in the fact that the AM dealership was over an hour away, and my choice was clear.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've driven XKR's, a '09 and a '11. So with both the 4.2 an 5.0L engines. I've also checked out AM's. The AM dealer is right next door to the JAG dealer here in AZ. IMHO, the Jag is simply better looking. And, the Jag is faster and handles better. The interior of the Jag is cleaner, classier. I'm probably biased because Jags were my first love, but I just can't see buying an AM over a Jag. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Vantage isnt junk but seriously overpriced. Only GREAT thing about is the engine note, XKR runs circles around it otherwise. Its the model for someone to say they have an Aston. DB9 or DBS is another story, but the XKR keeps up nicely

Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I owned an Aston martin Vantage before my XKR. I have to admit it's probably one of the best and classiest looking cars on the road. If it was to be a second car that I take out the occasional weekend I would have kept it. To live with everyday is a different story.
Yes Ford owned them both, but something went wrong on the Aston side of things over the Jag team. It's as if they dipped into the part bins from the family group; Volvo, Ford etc. The result a miss match of bits inside that are not integrated together properly. All this bits are then hidden covered with expensive leather and suede and a price hike.

The Jaguar however feels like a modern car. A proper everyday usable car. Yes I know people moan about the technology in the XKR, but stepping from the Aston into the Jag feels like a leap into the 21st century. All the bits are integrated together, as any modern car should be. The Jaguar feels a lot more solidly built..and yes many bits either came lose or fell off my Aston!

The Aston was marketed as 'an every day sports car'. They haven't quite managed that yet. It's still an enthusiasts car for people who just want to drive and enjoy a prestige sport car away from all the electronic gismos that take away from the experience. Thats how it should had been sold, and why it was such a let down for people like me that had moved from German makes.
The Jaguar seems to fit in the middle of the two well. I don't like computers taking over everything. I still want to experience the raw power. I wan't an individual looking car not made in masses. The Jag ticks all these boxes and why I now own one!

The following 2 users liked this post by johnnnnnnyy:
Lord_Eduard (02-01-2021), ronev (09-06-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Very interesting perspective. What year was your Vantage and your XKR?

Bruce

Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If you want a manual transmission, you'd SOL on the Jag, but not on the Aston.

Here's my XK next to some Astons. I was suprised by how many liked the XK more visually.

Name:  DSCN4870.jpg
Views: 5779
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  DSCN4868.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  54.5 KB

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Very interesting perspective. What year was your Vantage and your XKR?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Both where 2007 cars.
I bought my current 2007 car as a cheeper test before spending a lot on a newer one. I was intending to run it for a few months then get a newer one..but really bonded with my current car.
I'll probably keep it and see whats in store in 2014 when the new XK gets launched.

John

Old 08-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow...couldn't make the comparison more fair than that...thx!

Bruce

Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 5.0 vs 4.2

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I've driven XKR's, a '09 and a '11. So with both the 4.2 an 5.0L engines. I've also checked out AM's. The AM dealer is right next door to the JAG dealer here in AZ. IMHO, the Jag is simply better looking. And, the Jag is faster and handles better. The interior of the Jag is cleaner, classier. I'm probably biased because Jags were my first love, but I just can't see buying an AM over a Jag. Just my 2 cents.
Hi bklynchris,

Could you describe how the 2009 4.2 felt compared to the 2011 5.0? I haven't had a chance to drive the 5.0 and I'm curious on how different the experience is. Kinda like the iphone 4 vs the iphone 4s where most said if you have the 4 just wait for the iphone 5... Should I just wait for the 2014 XKR?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned

4.2 and 5.0 are similar. The 4.2 has the whine. But the 5.0 is faster and has a nice exhaust. Overall why wait when you can buy one now ? I recommend convertible so you can hear that "Jaguar Music" louder.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
If you want a manual transmission, you'd SOL on the Jag, but not on the Aston.

Here's my XK next to some Astons. I was suprised by how many liked the XK more visually.

I am also surprised that people prefered the visuals of your jag over the aston.
I think from the outside looks AM > XKR Hard for me to imagine someone thinks differently. But then again, people have the strangest taste.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I traded an 08 XK convertible on a 12 XK convertible. In my opinion, the difference between the two cars is unmistakable. the 5.0 is much faster than the 4.2 and eats more hi-test fuel. Overall the 12 seems much tighter and far more responsive as well as being better equipped. All in all if the 08 is a an 8 on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest, then the 12 is at least a 9.5.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Hi bklynchris,

Could you describe how the 2009 4.2 felt compared to the 2011 5.0? I haven't had a chance to drive the 5.0 and I'm curious on how different the experience is. Kinda like the iphone 4 vs the iphone 4s where most said if you have the 4 just wait for the iphone 5... Should I just wait for the 2014 XKR?
Hi Mike V. Personally, I like the looks of the '07 to '09 XKR a little more. I'm not a fan of the front vents, but with that said, it's still a drop dead gorgeous car! Driving them, the thing I noticed immediately is how much faster the '10 XKR is. The torque is amazing!!! And I'm not just talking 0-60, I'm talking 55-90!! (Best I could do with the dealer in the car). The engine note is deeper, more melodic. I would think the handling is pretty much the same, though I can't really say, I didn't get to dive on any twisty roads or on a track, but it felt the same. IMO, the first thing you will notice is the power, the '10 can fly!! Throttle takes some getting used to. As soon as you press it, you're away, like you were shot out of a cannon. But the delivery is smooth, very, very smooth. If it weren't for the g's pushing you back in the seat, you probably wouldn't notice. The shifter is a nice gimmick also; it kinda rises up into your hand. Cool, very cool! Another feature, which is a must here in AZ where it gets HOT...incredibly HOT, is the cooled front seats. That feature is not available on the '09 to my knowledge. I'm shooting for '10 based on that feature alone. Both cars have way more power you'll probably use on a daily basis. The extra horses/torque on the '10 is nice, I mean very nice, but the '09 is by no means a slouch. Well, that's my perspective. I hope it helps in your decision. There are plenty of guys in this forum that have owned both and would have a much better perspective than me. Right now I'm just an enthusiast. In 90 day or less though, I will be a proud owner of one!!

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default First Impressions

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Hi Mike V. Personally, I like the looks of the '07 to '09 XKR a little more. I'm not a fan of the front vents, but with that said, it's still a drop dead gorgeous car! Driving them, the thing I noticed immediately is how much faster the '10 XKR is. The torque is amazing!!! And I'm not just talking 0-60, I'm talking 55-90!! (Best I could do with the dealer in the car). The engine note is deeper, more melodic. I would think the handling is pretty much the same, though I can't really say, I didn't get to dive on any twisty roads or on a track, but it felt the same. IMO, the first thing you will notice is the power, the '10 can fly!! Throttle takes some getting used to. As soon as you press it, you're away, like you were shot out of a cannon. But the delivery is smooth, very, very smooth. If it weren't for the g's pushing you back in the seat, you probably wouldn't notice. The shifter is a nice gimmick also; it kinda rises up into your hand. Cool, very cool! Another feature, which is a must here in AZ where it gets HOT...incredibly HOT, is the cooled front seats. That feature is not available on the '09 to my knowledge. I'm shooting for '10 based on that feature alone. Both cars have way more power you'll probably use on a daily basis. The extra horses/torque on the '10 is nice, I mean very nice, but the '09 is by no means a slouch. Well, that's my perspective. I hope it helps in your decision. There are plenty of guys in this forum that have owned both and would have a much better perspective than me. Right now I'm just an enthusiast. In 90 day or less though, I will be a proud owner of one!!
bklynchris: Like they say you only have one chance at a first impression and just like my 08 XKR blew my mind as a first impression, I wanted your pure experience as a first impression of both 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XKR.

Awesome review, I really appreciate you sharing your impressions and your honest take on both. I agree about the front bumper but cooled seats is a good trade off. By the numbers the 0-60 differnece could be covered by a good vs. poor launch (.03 second difference) but I believe you on the 55-90 mph feel and in a rolling start the 5.0 will easily pull away from the 4.2.

Best of luck getting a great deal on a 10'

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (08-03-2012)

Quick Reply: Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? Debates On This Subject Heating Up