XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jammed Hood / Tonneau Release

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Jammed Hood / Tonneau Release

My car is a 2006/7 XKR. A sunny day in UK (rare this time of year) pressed the electric convertible top switch (with the driver door open!) and after operating for a second it stopped. I read the instructions in the handbook for manual re-setting... located the Allen key, inserted it and turned it anti-clockwise as instructed....

Together with my mechanic pulled the front of the top backwards - lifted the rear (window) section up.... and the tonneau top is supposed to automatically unlatch / open so that I can then drop the top into the trunk / rewind Allen key / press + reset hood operation.

The tonneau just won't unlatch or budge an inch but stays firmly closed!!

Any suggestions anybody?

Thanks - jd

Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a strap you have to pull in order to unlock the tonneau. It is located at the hydraulic pump where you use the Allen key. It is hidden above or beside the pump.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant Mr McDutch..

Thanks!

I discovered the strap when Phoning the Dealer for adive and the Service Receptionist grudgingly read the Users Handbook to me... My handbook illustrates the strap but does NOt mention it... Anyway got the top into the trunk and the tonneau down but NOT latched. Pressed the overhead switch to put the top back up: The tonneau opened up to 180 degrees but the bloody (heavy) top didn't!.

Went back - allen key bullshit, tonneau (eventually as the hydraulic pressure leaked out) dropped down again - pressed this time for Hood down hoping to close / latch the tonneau. Nothing happened.

I should mention that I have an auto battery cut out switch so that I can leave the car in a garage with NO electric power for trickle charging. As the battery loses power sitting there, at the minimum level required to start the engine the battery cuts out.

So the problem may be entirely down to insufficient charge in the battery - which is being re-charged as i write.

Will keep you posted.

Great forum - and great help McDutch - Thanks again - jd