XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Just curious about -the fastest xk5.0 non supercharge

Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by DENNIS LEE
Sorry I hadn't responded to my original post questions till now because of the holiday seasons. I want to firstly thanks to all the valuable comments and advice to my curiosity. To answer what some of the questions on the post, I feel that even without the SC like the XKR, the XK is by no means a low-performance car with 385 hp. Therefore I feel that If the hp can somehow bump up to anyway around 450 plus, its performance potential wouldn't be so far compared with a stock xkr per say. I think that from this thread; we can already see that with a few simple reasonable mod that we can well achieve this goal.
I.E.
- Better air Filter ( About 2 to 3 hp gain)
- Ecu Tune ( about 30hp gain)
- Exhaust mod with xpipe and resonator, muffler and possibly cat delete/ 200 cell cats installed ( about 20 HP gain or more )
We are already at about 51 to 54 hp gain without even touching intakes or ,,,,,,,, That put us to around 440, not including the subtracting the weight off the car in the removal of the muffler which must be at least weights 50 to 60 pounds which can only be a gain to the acceleration and even overall speed band on the performance. The last thing is that after talking to Paramount, they told me that they have a water methanol injection kit for the XK that can increase about 30hp For around $500us.If that is the case then we are looking at another 30hp gain which will total the hp gain to around 80 to 85 and now we looking at the hp gain close to 470 which is closing in on the gap between a stock xkr with not a huge amount of money spent.
Please let me know the above speculation are realistic and my speculations have any merits.
Cheers.
Until you put this all on a dyno it's just hopeful speculation. Show us the numbers when you do it and then show us the strip runs.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I have had extensive discussions with the R&D department manager over at Paramount who specializes with jaguar modifications. He has informed me that they had come up with a water methanol injection kit for the F-type yet also fits the XK (XK 150). It runs about US $500.00 and an hp gain of around 30.
F-Types are supercharged, your XK is not... were they aware that you were specifically talking about an XK, not an XKR?

I also have a question in regards to the exhaust. Currently, I have an Xpipe muffler in the middle section of the car with muffler and resonator deleted. I am very happy of the way it sounds and the levels are perfect.
My Question is How much difference in power gain and noise factor does switching to a 200 cell cat
How much difference if I do a cat delete again in regards to hp gain and noise level factor.
The cats on these cars are very effective mufflers.

Stock cats = quiet
400 cells = pretty loud
200 cells = LOUD!
100 cells = LOUDEST!!!!!!!!!!
no cats = same as 100 cells

I would not expect any noticeable HP gains between 400, 200, 100 or none at all. The main thing is you've got new cats that aren't choked up, and flow much better than the standard 600/400 combination.

Noise difference between 100 cell and no cats would be hard to tell to be honest, same for emissions. 100 cell cats are used in Australia because no cats at all can land you a massive fine, even though a 100 cell cat does more or less nothing, it is still a cat, so ticks that box.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (12-31-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I have had extensive discussions with the R&D department manager over at Paramount who specializes with jaguar modifications. He has informed me that they had come up with a water methanol injection kit for the F-type yet also fits the XK (XK 150). It runs about US $500.00 and an hp gain of around 30.
I think the Paramount dude is talking out of his nether-regions, or else has given you a bum steer (see what I did there??)

Methanol injection is 90% for Forced Induction engines and the power gains on a N/A will be significantly down, I have supercharged a car from stock and added my methanol system after the SC was installed. Am not aware of any NA car having one fitted.

Also you have to look at where you'd put a 1 gallon tank? AEM is the system they use and can be purchased for around £400/$500 here in the UK, but then you'd have to get someone to fit it, do you have that local resource? How will this affect your insurance?

As you can see a pretty hefty piece of kit that renders an F-Type boot/trunk virtually unusable (OK more unusable than it is)

Do you have someone that can install for less than $1000USD? Paramount's price for install and testing is £995GBP so $1300USD

A good safe idea but I'd not consider it on my XKR, as more than enough available power for my needs

More essential reading here:

Base kit (Universal 6-30psi)

All of the sites state supercharged or turbocharged, no mention of NA is made, so I suspect your barking up the wrong tree.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess he got confused yet he shouldn't as we had dusscussion on topic for long time. Thanks for heads u p.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong the Paramount guys are normally good and helped me mod my X100, they even advised where I should get my cams reprofiled an a performance header made (at the time they didn't offer one)...but that was over 10yrs ago and they probs don't have any f the same team left

Old 01-03-2019, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Don't get me wrong the Paramount guys are normally good and helped me mod my X100, they even advised where I should get my cams reprofiled an a performance header made (at the time they didn't offer one)...but that was over 10yrs ago and they probs don't have any f the same team left
So if I want to tune my ecu , do you recommend doing a remap or chip tunning. It seems like for the N/A cars 30 hp gain is pretty standard with either method. Is so who do you recommend would be the best to used.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 AM

Question for Cambo: So if I mod the cats into a high flowing one but you are saying that no hp will be gain in results of that but just noise then why would anyone do that.

Last edited by DENNIS LEE; 01-03-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

So if I want to tune my ecu , do you recommend doing a remap or chip tunning. It seems like for the N/A cars 30 hp gain is pretty standard with either method. Is so who do you recommend would be the best to used.
Dennis, crucially in your posts and signature you've not stated you MY (unless I'm missing it).

I went for a tuning box on mine that increases 510 to 545. My For already has performance exhaust upgrades, k&n filters and a smaller SC top pulley...but mine is running standard map as my 2014 may (open to debate) have a Bosch ecu amd not a Denso. Jag master says mine's Bosch, Cambo advises no so was ever fitted with Bosch, but then mine has D3S bulbs the same as the F-type when everywhere on the forum it says D1S.

My belief is that a lot was standardised with the F in the last year of so production..
but the proof will be in actually seeing the eck fitted to my car.

My tuning and pedal box have not been fitted (due to weather) but I've done the tcm flash and that seems to make changepoints smoother.

I used a company called DTUK, but they come out of Germany and parent company is DTE, they've an awful lot of positive reviews for over 5yrs and are well respected in the VW/Audi comminity . But it's not cheap with all three purchased for £1000 on a Cyber Monday deal.

The key point as mentioned previously is to get a dyno at stock and then one at each change made on rhe same machine, that way you can verify performances enhancements and not SoTPD

What you have to work out is, will a 9% hike in hp/torque be enough for you from an ecu flash or tuning box?

Last edited by MarkyUK; 01-03-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

....my 2014 may (open to debate) have a Bosch ecu amd not a Denso. Jag master says mine's Bosch, Cambo advises no so was ever fitted with Bosch....
You still going on about this? The X150 NEVER got the Bosch PCMs, your "Jag master" is wrong. Stop spreading false information.

You were shown the part numbers of the PCM's on the other forum, only one part number for 5.0L XKR's until the end, the XF's and XJ's changed to Bosch, the XK never did.

but the proof will be in actually seeing the eck fitted to my car.
Or you could just accept that they are all Denso, since they are.

I had a 2014 XKR at my place, one of the last with vin in the 55000's, I flashed a tune to it. So I know, whereas others assume.

Question for Cambo: So if I mod the cats into a high flowing one but you are saying that no hp will be gain in results of that but just noise then why would anyone do that.
The effects of high-flow cats are different on naturally aspirated and forced induction engines, because of volumetric efficiency and other factors.

On a naturally aspirated motor you can expect some gains over stock (as seen with the Astons) but on the supercharged cars there's not much of an improvement over stock.

Where they are an improvement on a supercharged car is if the original cats are choked up and unable to flow enough exhaust gases.
I've seen this on a number of supercharged cars as they get older with higher mileage (two of my own cars, plus many others).
In which case we're not gaining power, but recovering lost power, which is still good of course.

A lot of people fit high flow cats because people are selling them...

But they will be of benefit to your naturally aspirated XK. Most important thing for you too keep in mind is that louder is not necessarily better.
The factory cats are a dual brick, one 600 cell upstream, one 400 cell downstream, per bank. So anything less than that is an improvement in flow.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-03-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I was very curious the xk 5.0 non-supercharge
1/ how fast and how many hp?
2/ what mods done to achieve that
3/ any special advise or pointers in regards to the mods

i know most of the people in the form saids the same thing " dont waste time and get an xkr" but i am sure there are a fair number of us that would be curious what the limit is with the xk.
Thanks

Dennis any updates I'm curious to see how quick you'll be able to get one of these going