XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Laptop / code checking prior to purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy
Is it? If no fluid changes other than oil, needs tires, leaking shocks, Trans oil need changed , brake fluid, serpentine belt, brake pad rotors need work, will it pass Pa state inspection..not without work. 3k of maint lagging....if the MD salt or salt ocean air hasn’t started undercarriage or elsewhere corrosion either. So the car needs to be evaluated and a thorough inspection prior to any cash outlay for sure. So the price may or maynot be out of line either way pending. I’ll find out Sunday. They had gotten 18”+ of snow there with 3’+ drifts. Kids just went to school there today, since Christmas. Car needs dug out.
I use NADA to price value of cars (as do dealerships). NADA values that vehicle on CL that Ranchero provided @ $24,300, but KBB put's it lower - around $18k.
I would have thought them to be more valuable than KBB. Who knew?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

It's been for sale for a while. I kept seeing it while browsing for parts and maybe back when I was looking for mine.

The only thing that really rusts is the suspension bracing. You can read my rebuild thread to see some pics. I'm sure mine spent many a winter on the road and it's in fine shape underneath. If it's in Ocean Pines and kept garaged it should be OK. Look for white chalky paint chips anywhere on the body. That's aluminum corrosion and a real PITA to repair. I have some on mine from a previous crash repair. Looks like it has the high dollar fender vents too.

To me if it's what you are interested in and have the patience / ability to repair it get it. There's a bunch out there for sale right now. It looks to have the normal dings and dangs in the interior. The metal seat belt latch tab is hard on leather. I really like the different wood. These cars are just a pretty body with lower prestige parts bolted on. They share a lot of parts with other makes and models which is a good thing.

Pity it's so far or I'd offer to check it out with you. I have an uncle who lives in Ocean City but he over winters in the everglades.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Oleguy,

Looking at the pix, it appears that it was just professionally detailed and at first glance the exterior is impressive (even though I'm not a fan of the red pinstripe). However, the interior is somewhat disappointing, as the driver's seat and door panel show significant wear and tear. Sure, it has 72,000 miles, but with proper upkeep the leather could have been in much better shape.

My main concern is the appearance of the engine compartment. Because it's in Ocean City, MD, I'd be concerned about salt water flood damage from the recent hurricanes.

Of course, you'll have to drive it to determine what's right and what's not.

If it passes your initial inspection, I recommend spending the money for a CarFax Report to see the ownership and service history and if it discloses any other potential deal killers. If it's still OK, I'd pay for Pre-Purchase Inspections from (1) a Jaguar dealer (per jagtoes' Post #12, above) and (2) a Jaguar-approved body shop that specializes in aluminum repairs for body/paint damage repairs. Inspections by knowledgeable professionals will give you a better assessment of future repair and maintenance costs and possible areas for negotiating price if you're still interested.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to learning what you find.

Stuart

Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I use NADA to price value of cars (as do dealerships). NADA values that vehicle on CL that Ranchero provided @ $24,300, but KBB put's it lower - around $18k.
I would have thought them to be more valuable than KBB. Who knew?
Price guides are valid for high volume cars, but are less accurate for low production models. The XKR Portfolio is low production, so the value depends more on what the seller is willing to accept than what NADA or KBB says it's worth.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Oleguy,

Looking at the pix, it appears that it was just professionally detailed and at first glance the exterior is impressive (even though I'm not a fan of the red pinstripe). However, the interior is somewhat disappointing, as the driver's seat and door panel show significant wear and tear. Sure, it has 72,000 miles, but with proper upkeep the leather could have
been in much better shape.

My main concern is the appearance of the engine compartment. Because it's in Ocean City, MD, I'd be concerned about salt water flood damage from the recent hurricanes.

Of course, you'll have to drive it to determine what's right and what's not.

If it passes your initial inspection, I recommend spending the money for a CarFax Report to see the ownership and service history and if it discloses any other potential deal killers. If it's still OK, I'd pay for Pre-Purchase Inspections from (1) a Jaguar dealer (per jagtoes' Post #12, above) and (2) a Jaguar-approved body shop that specializes in aluminum repairs for body/paint damage repairs. Inspections by knowledgeable professionals will give you a better assessment of future repair and maintenance costs and possible areas for negotiating price if you're still interested.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to learning what you find.

Stuart
Yes there is always the ‘if they/he had only done this’ it would be in a lot better shape. The portfolio so I’ve read uses a even softer leather. I’m pretty **** with my leather in my Lariat F-150. We will see. The red stripe does distract I think. He said it was on car when he purchased it w 13 k on it from a women. He has used dealer in Annapolis for repairs / some maintenance and I asked for the records. We shall see. I’ll start a new thread after buying or declining.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The seat wear is indicative of a lot of short trips where the driver was in and out a lot. Looking at the seat design it's easy to see how this would wear. Worse case is you can get it recovered or replaced with a used (better) seat. If the strip is painted then SOL or you can have someone go over it with a different color that may blend in a little more.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Owned by a woman. Explains the dings on the interior. Mine has the same marks and I may have added a couple more before realizing how deadly the metal tab was. Expect fingernail or ring dig marks under the outside door handles too.

Still, overall I wouldn't sweat it. You are buying a 10 year old $80k grand touring car that still has at least 2/3 of it's life left and will make you smile every time you fire it up. Comparably I ended up with a clunker and absolutely love it.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Price guides are valid for high volume cars, but are less accurate for low production models. The XKR Portfolio is low production, so the value depends more on what the seller is willing to accept than what NADA or KBB says it's worth.
Yes of course and agreed but you have to start somewhere or you're just pulling number out of your.....

Looks like the OP knows what he's looking for at this point and hopefully we'll see pictures Monday or some details if he walks away.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The seat wear is indicative of a lot of short trips where the driver was in and out a lot. Looking at the seat design it's easy to see how this would wear. Worse case is you can get it recovered or replaced with a used (better) seat. If the strip is painted then SOL or you can have someone go over it with a different color that may blend in a little more.
g
There is a restoration shop not far from me whom I spoke with. He did say he doesn’t usually get car this new but that he has a Jag rep that does get him the leathers. The only issue is coloring matching. He said they are able to replace just that ‘panel’ in the seat is the rest of seat is good if not do the whole seat. Again color match is issue. Kevin

Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

I used leather dye from Dynamix, a UK company, to refinish the wear on the outer bolster on my driver's seat. It's an easy DIY job and the results exceeded my expectations. The Ivory color match was almost perfect and today it's virtually impossible to tell. See my Post #12 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-173932/