XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leather on dash 'pulling'

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi TBerg,

Congratulations on the restored dash in your XKR!

I have been reading your posts on this and they are indeed numerous! I am talking to Jag NA at this moment to see what they will do as the dash cover is starting to pull away and lift. My feeling is that they MAY offer some kind of co pay as has been spelled out.

I was intrigued with your success story and as I am in the Valley myself I thought to ask about the shop that pulled your dash and the upholsterer of course!

I have had great work done on the headliner of my Mercedes by Kev's Auto Tops on Reseda, but I wouldn't mind having an alternative.

Can I ask you for those details please?

Many thanks

Phil

Originally Posted by tberg
One of the options I considered before we actually lifted the dash was to have the windshield pulled so that we could get at the edges of the leather at the back of the dash where it has become disconnected as it meets the windshield. I believe we could have re-stretched the leather and reglued and stapled it to the shell from there. Since companies like SafeLite charge about $200-300 to install a new windshield including the cost of the glass, I figured they would do it for somewhere around $200. An upholsterer could probably have done the work in an hour or two for a couple of hundred dollars. So all in all, not too terrible a price tag. I chose to have the dash removed since my car was going to be in the bodyshop for a couple of weeks having the rear bumper and side skirt modifications fitted, so that while it was there I could have my upholsterer work on the dash at the same time.

I believe this solution could be a viable option at fixing the problem.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Phil,
I've sent you a private message with the information and my phone number. And by the way, it's now been about three years, and it looks as good as the day it was repaired. Finally, the defroster vents will most likely break when removing the dash as they are quite fragile. We just glued them back together, and you wouldn't notice unless you looked hard.

The following users liked this post:
Jhep993 (01-27-2019)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Default Activist!

Having gotten fed up with arguing with Jaguar NA who continue to deny that any problem exists in the design of the dash covers, and have told me that they have never heard of this happening (really?) I have decided to bring a few cases to their attention...

...and what better way than to Tweet it to my several thousand followers.

So, please feel free to post any pictures of lifting dashes - I will be glad to pass them along.

Maybe they will do what they told me - that "if there were any design problem in the dash cover - that there would be a Service Bulletin issued"

Evidently the change in design between the bonded and the latest bonded AND stapled design, should be enough for them to admit that a fix was necessary.

Kindly

Phil

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Hi Phil,

I recently, in the past year, purchased a brand new dash from Jaguar and it was no different in design from the original one removed from my car. Where have you seen a revised version? Also, while I agree and feel your pain (obviously I had mine replaced), this problem is TOO common across multiple brands. I had it happen to my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit after 2 years and 20K miles and have seen it happen to many other Jeeps as well and Asian import cars with leather dashes and even my friend's 3 year old Bentley GTC with only 6K miles AND Bentley gave him a very hard time. I went with him and the service advisor told him that it was a common problem and told him it was time for him to buy a new one like their other customers do.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Why not print out the 20 pages of these posts with over 200 entries to show them that it is a well known issue and has been discussed at Jaguar corporate. My posts #143 shows before pictures and #187 shows after repair pictures.

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ajzride
This photo gives me extreme anxiety

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update on my dashboard. So it's been nearly 3 years since I got my 2010 XKR, complete with dash bubbles and "shrinkage." As I previously stated in a post on this thread at that time, once we pulled the dash it was so obvious why this was happening, and my upholsterer proceded to stretch the leather back, put new adhesive, and STAPLE the edges down at the windshield edge and around the center speaker. This morning, when I washed my car, inside and out (before it started raining), I specifically checked my dash as I was doing so, and marveled that nearly 3 years later, on a car that has not spent one day (under my ownership) in a garage, through summers where the temperature is typically over 100F from June through the end of October, with no sun barrier in the front window, my dash looks showroom fresh! Now, my dash was not as bad as the one pictured above, but the remedy for that one is exactly the same. And, if as jahummer stated in a fairly recent post that Jaguar is still shipping replacement dashes without anchoring with staples, it will, without question, continue to happen. The actual repair took less than an hour, but either the dash needs to be pulled, or I suspect that if the windshield is pulled, it can be done from the front of the car.

There is a cure!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Does anyone know how to remove the dash? Anyone have a tutorial?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Does anyone know how to remove the dash? Anyone have a tutorial?
There is a thread here with pictures from a member that did it. Search this forum and you should find it.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Came across this on ebay, maybe useful for some of you guys with this problem. The dash part over the instrument cluster seems to be a bit of a funny colour, but the rest may be what you're looking for. I obviously can't vouch for the seller/product.

Jaguar XK XKR X150 Dashboard Dash No Air Bag - Never Fitted | eBay

kj07xk (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Came across this on ebay, maybe useful for some of you guys with this problem. The dash part over the instrument cluster seems to be a bit of a funny colour, but the rest may be what you're looking for. I obviously can't vouch for the seller/product.

Jaguar XK XKR X150 Dashboard Dash No Air Bag - Never Fitted | eBay
Great price! If only it were the right color, LHD, and on this side of the pond, I would buy it, just to have as a spare.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Looks like its time for me to get a different car. Dash started to bubble up.. What a shitty quality workmanship

2008 Jaguar xkr dash bubbling<br/>

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Default Complaints about this dash design

I would encourage all who have posted here to Tweet links, photos and complaints to @JaguarUSA

I have done so, and spoken with them several times and they refuse to even acknowledge the existence of this design fault. While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I am only able to do so much as an individual; we need to unite and pool our efforts.

I would like to see them accept this as a design problem, and issue a bulletin or a recall.

Phil

Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Agreed, while you are at it tell them they need to recall because of the Water Pump, Duckbill, AC Compressor, and Crossover Pipe.

Nevermind, they should just issue lifetime warranty for all parts in the car. Ten year old cars should be factory fresh when I buy it used, or in your case on a salvaged title.

Just having fun man!!!! I make fun of myself all the time too...

Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by philbone
I would encourage all who have posted here to Tweet links, photos and complaints to @JaguarUSA

I have done so, and spoken with them several times and they refuse to even acknowledge the existence of this design fault. While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I am only able to do so much as an individual; we need to unite and pool our efforts.

I would like to see them accept this as a design problem, and issue a bulletin or a recall.

Phil
You do know that this happens to every marque with leather dashes under the same high heat/sun conditions? I am not saying that it isn't a problem, but it is by no means exclusively a Jaguar problem. For the record, the leather-covered dash in my 07 is absolutely perfect, but when my car is left in the sun the dash is always protected by sun shades and I use a good leather conditioner on it periodically.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

This is perhaps the most discussed posting in X150 history. As one who had the same issue when I bought my 2010 XKR, I can tell you without any doubt that it was most definitely a design flaw (albeit not one limited to Jaguar). The proof of that is that I had my dash leather restretched and STAPLED around the underside edge of the dash as well as around the center speaker and three years later, it is as good as the day we did it. My car has never been garaged, is subjected to 100F+ temperatures in the San Fernando Valley from June-October, and has remained perfect throughout. Jaguar chose to use an adhesive and NOTHING ELSE (!) to anchor the leather. The adhesive was "asked" to do an impossible task and has failed in thousands of instances. (Ferrari has had the same problem) The fix takes less than an hour to do (once the dash has been removed), and would have taken minutes to do at the factory had it been done during manufacturing. It was incredibly short-sighted (and Stupid with a capital S) by JLR to have taken this shortcut. You can and probably should yell at Jaguar corporate about this issue but it won't get you anything. My aunt's ten year old Toyota minivan received a notice a few months back announcing Toyota's intention to replace the dashes of anyone who had premature cracking (after 10 years!) at no cost. This is what Jaguar should have done and would have created a lot of good will and customer loyalty had they done so.

ralphwg (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Some companies do it right, I guess Toyota is more consumer friendly. If only that pesky killing of a bunch of people and the subsequent cover-up that resulted in record fines we can just ignore.

Maybe when JLR does the same they will give some free dashes. Little consolation to the bereaved families, but hey that will be forgotten and Jaguar can be celebrated.

Last edited by tampamark; 04-21-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Just got a call from Jaguar Australia Customer Service, they have assigned a case worker so interesting to see what happens!

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Leather on dash 'pulling'