XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Leather on dash 'pulling'

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leather pulling

Originally Posted by Nevette
Canucken,

I'd like to help you out but a picture would be helpful.
Just a guess but you can probably take it to a good upholstery shop and have them re glue it. Repeat (GOOD SHOP)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dash leather

To really help this problem treat the dash with "303 protectant" I think Napa carries it and if not order from Amazon. It's SPF protectant This is great stuff. Spray on rag and then on the dash. Then get a dash cover. The UV rays cook EVERYTHING. It's not just the heat but that does speed up the process. UV rays happen even on cloudy days. Covercraft has custom dash covers that fit the cars correctly. Can be ordered from O'reilly etc, there about $65, Or go to the Jag dealer.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have removed 2 dash panels from 2 different XK and I must tell you it is a major job. I'am surprised they only charge for 5 hours. For those of you that don't want to be raped by the dealer I advise pulling the dash yourself. It is a major job but if you take your time and you have the right tools it's not that difficult.

One of the dash boards I removed has the same problem. I'll take it to a good local upholstery shop, get an estimate and ask if a different material would hold up better but still look the same or better. Why replace it with the same and have it do exactly the same thing again.

If you do take your dash out be careful when removing the plastic pieces that cover the bolt close to the windshield. If your dash is damaged from the sun most likely the plastic parts are brittle and could break.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SeamlessAutomotive
I have removed 2 dash panels from 2 different XK and I must tell you it is a major job. I'am surprised they only charge for 5 hours. For those of you that don't want to be raped by the dealer I advise pulling the dash yourself. It is a major job but if you take your time and you have the right tools it's not that difficult.

One of the dash boards I removed has the same problem. I'll take it to a good local upholstery shop, get an estimate and ask if a different material would hold up better but still look the same or better. Why replace it with the same and have it do exactly the same thing again.

If you do take your dash out be careful when removing the plastic pieces that cover the bolt close to the windshield. If your dash is damaged from the sun most likely the plastic parts are brittle and could break.
so youre surprised we ONLY charge for 5 hours but define that as rape????
Center speaker grills should always be replaced with a dash since theyre sitting in the sun and crack. I dont ever replace a dash without a new grill, vents as needed only. Also we know were all the hidden screws are too
FYI the new dashes are glued differantly, longer material in affected areas and stapled in addition to glued.
And we at the offending rapist dealers think this whole thing sucks too because Jaguars NEVER had this issue before. I have a sit in the Texas sun 96 VDP with a still perfect dash

Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 XKR dashes bubble also

Brutal,

My 2010 XKR has 54000 miles now so it's out of the factory warranty and into the Select Edition warranty. This issue came up when it hit 102 deg. a couple of days in a row in May and I had to drive the car to work (no shade). The dash now has a bubble and slightly curled up edge on the right hand side of the center speaker cover nearest the windshield. It is about 4" x 2" in size. And yes, I use Meguires conditioner.

Is there any way to get this covered under the extended warranty? Dash was PERFECT up till then . I'll even bring it to another state if I can find a dealership willing to work with me. I have not bought it to my local dealership because they didn't even try to help me out with the rear fog LED light. Even thought it went out before 50,000 miles and I just did not have time to get it in the shop (work demands) but was told by the selling dealer (Jaguar of Tampa) the Select Edition warranty covered EVERYTHING the original did ! "Direct extention of original warranty" was their words.

What would be the best way to approach this situation at a dealership?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by nuclear xk-reactor
brutal,

my 2010 xkr has 54000 miles now so it's out of the factory warranty and into the select edition warranty. This issue came up when it hit 102 deg. A couple of days in a row in may and i had to drive the car to work (no shade). The dash now has a bubble and slightly curled up edge on the right hand side of the center speaker cover nearest the windshield. It is about 4" x 2" in size. And yes, i use meguires conditioner.

is there any way to get this covered under the extended warranty? Dash was perfect up till then . I'll even bring it to another state if i can find a dealership willing to work with me. I have not bought it to my local dealership because they didn't even try to help me out with the rear fog led light. Even thought it went out before 50,000 miles and i just did not have time to get it in the shop (work demands) but was told by the selling dealer (jaguar of tampa) the select edition warranty covered everything the original did ! "direct extention of original warranty" was their words.

what would be the best way to approach this situation at a dealership?
unfortunalty i just had a customer in yesturday out of warranty by 2months, and a couple 1000 miles. Had select( they nor any other ext warranty will ever cover trim of hoses or even say a metal ac pipe with a inch of rubber in it)
our regional jaguar manager was here and we tried to get some "goodwill" on this and told no. I know they also looked at history and noticed only warrany work no services, or customer pay work like tires, brakes, if they bought the car new or preowned etc... That is all looked into when i guess they make that descision and he had none of this going for him. So as far as that goes is it probobly case by case

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
bobdr1 (03-02-2014), Nuclear XK-Reactor (07-27-2012), tommyd (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
unfortunalty i just had a customer in yesturday out of warranty by 2months, and a couple 1000 miles. Had select( they nor any other ext warranty will ever cover trim of hoses or even say a metal ac pipe with a inch of rubber in it)
our regional jaguar manager was here and we tried to get some "goodwill" on this and told no. I know they also looked at history and noticed only warrany work no services, or customer pay work like tires, brakes, if they bought the car new or preowned etc... That is all looked into when i guess they make that descision and he had none of this going for him. So as far as that goes is it probobly case by case
Good to know. I'm starting to have this issue on my dash. Sounds like I need to get over to the dealer pronto before my original factory warranty expires.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My definition of "being raped by the dealer". Having a dash replaced and the total cost being $2500.00 when it should be covered under warranty. If I offended I honestly apologize for my poor use of words.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM

^^^ any warranty goes to point "a" not "b". It is covered under the original factory warranty but no extended warranty be it select or any other, ever ever covers trim items. But like like i also said, sometimes there goodwill to be had if original purchaser, bought new at that dealer and get everything done there, but its not a given, depends on dealer, and more so the jaguar rep that makes the decision. We tried because the one we had's warranty just expired. Unfortunatly, had purchased the car used from somewhere else(non jag dealer) and hadnt had the that car long.
I remember in the 70's in highschool and a shop teacher telling us that if you purchased all the parts to build a then $5000 car. The parts would run well over a $100,000!!! Do know the factory charges dealers more because theyre under contract to purchased those parts
its all supply and demand in this free trade economy, they supply and they demand

Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
This may sound dumb, but how much would it cost to have someone replace the dash out of warranty?
I just paid $2079 for the part. The labor if the 5.9 hr quote is accurate ($117/hr) is going to make the total be $2991 with 8% NY tax.

All this because somebody made a poor design choice for adhesive. Bad chemist...bad chemist.

Last edited by BigOil; 08-01-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOil
I just paid $2079 for the part. The labor if the 5.9 hr quote is accurate ($117/hr) is going to make the total be $2991 with 8% NY tax.

All this because somebody made a poor design choice for adhesive. Bad chemist...bad chemist.
And to think that people dare to have the opinion that Jaguar has quality/maintenence issues?? Is it any wonder? With things like this occurring on a well-kept $85,000+ car is truly telling. Not only of the quality/craftmanship of Jaguar, but of the idiots at Corporate that are ruining the reputation of the whole Marque just to save a relatively small amount in repairs. If they won't stand behind their own products, then why should anyone put up with them??

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (03-02-2014)
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by tnt10
And to think that people dare to have the opinion that Jaguar has quality/maintenence issues?? Is it any wonder? With things like this occurring on a well-kept $85,000+ car is truly telling. Not only of the quality/craftmanship of Jaguar, but of the idiots at Corporate that are ruining the reputation of the whole Marque just to save a relatively small amount in repairs. If they won't stand behind their own products, then why should anyone put up with them??
While I am disappointed at the expense, I paid under a third that price for the car...still well under the LTV all in.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Read some of the other brands forums. Examples abound of problems not dealt with by manufacturer's.

Jhep993 (01-27-2019)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a leather conditioner on my 2007 XK to strectch it from this defect and instead it shrunk and now im forced to get the entire dash reuphostered. Does anyone know where I can aquire a new leather hide that matches my slate blue interior?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I recently bought an '07 XK coupe with 13k miles. Most of its life was in Hilton Head, SC (humid) and always garaged. There is no evidence of dash leather pulling or of prior repair.
Alarmed by this web report, I ordered a blue carpet dash cover from www.dashmat.com; and am disappointed with the product. Its color is nowhere near a match, and the carpet material itself looks really cheap. Basically, it's ugly.
Then I bought 303 Aerospace Protectant from a marine supplyer. I caution against spraying this product directly onto the dash as overspray on windshield is difficult to remove. Spray to a clean cloth first and then apply cloth to dash. It is too early to determine if this product "works."
I recently had my windows tinted 35% with LLumar window tint product. My installer has recommended tinting the windshield itself with Windscreen Windshield Film: LLumar Automotive Films. Cost is $125, and I will do this.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jetpilot1
I used a leather conditioner on my 2007 XK to strectch it from this defect and instead it shrunk and now im forced to get the entire dash reuphostered. Does anyone know where I can aquire a new leather hide that matches my slate blue interior?
What brand leather conditioner did you use?

If your dash leather had already started to shrink, I doubt that any "conditioner" product would have been able to stretch it. There are several leather "stretch" products, made primarily for shoes, that might work. Search Amazon.com. As for matching the OE slate color, you can try local trim shops but I think you might have to get that part from your Jag dealer for an exact match.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM

So I just took in my 09 XF for my 60k mile tune up. I also had issues with my Dashboard similar to the pictures displayed. My service agent told me since this wasn't a moving part it would not be covered under warranty. My car is a certified pre-owned with a 6 year 100k mile warranty and I purchased it about 20 months ago. I have some kind of warranty with EnviroGuard and I will call them to see what they say. However, i agree that this should fixed by the dealer as a warranty/ goodwill. Especially since i am being quoted $1200 for repairs and $4000 for a new dashboard. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

bobdr1 (03-02-2014)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stJAG_XF
However, i agree that this should fixed by the dealer as a warranty/ goodwill. Especially since i am being quoted $1200 for repairs and $4000 for a new dashboard. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.
Ouch. This should be covered or something done in your favor. Jaguar screwed up royally on their design and should step in to fix it when it happens. Nothing will turn a repeat buyer off like something like this.

A bad experience, especially en masse can do a lot to hurt a brand's reputation, for more than the dollars to just fix their screw up.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM

So, I got a call back from EnviroGuard and my claim was denied because according to them I am only covered for stains. Highly upset about this and I am not sure what to do next. I really would hate to pay out of pocket for this and its is going to leave a very bad taste if i end up having to fix this myself.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1stjag_xf
so, i got a call back from enviroguard and my claim was denied because according to them i am only covered for stains. Highly upset about this and i am not sure what to do next. I really would hate to pay out of pocket for this and its is going to leave a very bad taste if i end up having to fix this myself.
take it to a trim shop and have them fix it. The material can be pulled back after removing the windshield demisters and center speaker cover( may want to buy a new one since they break easily after sitting in the sun) they can clean, reglue and staple it back to the dash. Its a trim item and no one covers trim.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather on dash 'pulling'