Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New 07 owner and blower motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default New 07 owner and blower motor issue

Hi Guys,

I recently bought an 07XK to replace my 97XK8. Wow this car is fun, but I noticed that the blower motor isn't functioning. Auto function lights up and controls work fine on the screen. I believe the AC fine as the motor note changes when I select/deselect Auto, just no blower in auto or when I rotate dial manually. Screen show fan speed increase.

I pulled the schematics from the forum (awesome guys) and checked the fuse which by visual inspection looks OK but I will confirm with a meter.

I searched and found that the blower resistor or control module (denso I guess) as they call it can be an issue. Car has 38K and is very clean so I doubt the motor went.

Is there any quick procedure to determine if it's the module or motor?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can just supply 12vdc to the motor.

Of a bigger worry is the probable cause of the failure. This happens when the AC drain tube gets blocked. Water backs up to the module and shorts it out.
The AC repair is costly.....

Vince

Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Pulled the fuse and it checked out fine. Lowered the blower motor cover and everything looks spotless, no apparent signs of moisture on carpet or anywhere that I can see, but I will check the AC drain tube to confirm no blockage.

I saw there was an AC drain tube fix and I take it that was to prevent the above issues from happening.

Thank for the response.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 PM

So I talked with the the dealer I got it from and they gave the me the mechanic that replaced the blower motor for them as it was inoperable when they had it.

They checked the motor and it was fine but not getting ground due to the control module failing. Looks like the dealer will take care of it for me so that's good news. It will take a couple of days to get the part and in the mean time I have the car back. The cover panel under the glove box was down when I went to pick it up and I left it temporarily that way. When I drove back to my business I noticed a few droplets of water falling on the white insulation.

So I guess I will see about checking that drain or have them do it so I don't have to deal with this poor design of the duck bill. I saw in one thread where you just close all your vents and set to full blast to try and clear the duck bill. Guess I give that a shot first to see if water comes out under the car. At least that should give me an idea of whether or not it's functional.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Smile

Car is back and all is well, module was replaced and the blower is working again. Dealer covered half so it cost me $170.00 for the diagnose and repair of the module which was less than the cost of the part.

I also did the glove box fix when I got it back so all is right in the XK world again.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad to hear. But if you don't fix the A/C drain, it will happen again. Also, if you search, I put the part number for an aftermarket blower motor control module on here. It runs about $60 or so. And there are details on how to replace it as well. Cheers

Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

my garage fixed my drain issue by lowering the gearbox and pinching the outlet using a scope camera.. it poured a few liters and cost me around 200$.. and this is after 7 years of use..

Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 PM

I figured I try the suggestion I saw in the AC fix post.

Every time you fill up, close the vents and put it on high. Blow that duck bill out . If water comes out then at least it's working and should force out any excess in there. He mentioned he's never had the issue like the rest of us.

Anyways, winter is coming so I don't think I will have to worry about it until next summer.

If I don't see anything coming out by summer then I will have to do something.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I too did the blower motor trick and thought all was fine. Then I was 400 miles from home on the Gulf in 94 degree weather and mine quit. The only dealer was 100 miles away and didn't have the part. A few days of that temp with no blower or A/C will change your mind. Good luck and hope you have no troubles.