Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts
Default The Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program Experience

I recently had a check engine light come on my 12 XKR 3 months after buying this 4 yr 100k mile 4,300 dollar warranty. Evaluation of the error showed a Bank 1 exhaust VVT solenoid connector had corroded.

I will be getting information back here within the next day on how much I paid and how much they paid. To ME...this problem was a functional problem - not cosmetic. I would think it would have been covered 100% but they told the dealership they would "only pay so much".

I will be paying "some" out of my own pocket so I will let everyone know. If this vehicle protection program from Jaguar doesn't really protect the cars - then everyone after me and myself in the future will keep their 4000 bucks in their OWN POCKETS. Stay Tuned.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 06-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

That just BLOWS Lother! Sad to hear please keep us in the loop with what they come back with. I'm sure you're already doing this but keep all correspondence via written letter or email so you have a paper trail if/when this should progress to possible next step(s). Give them the chance to be "the hero" and resolve this to your satisfaction, if not hoping you stand your ground and take this to higher levels. We've seen it go both ways maybe they'll step up got my fingers crossed on your behalf as you've certainly been through the ringer on this.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Once I know the amount the work cost vs what I am to pay that will tell you the percentage of coverage. We shall see. I pick up the car tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I too bought the Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program. Very interested to hear your outcome.

Mike

Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Loth, if the administrator refuses to pay for the full cost of the repair, you should tell your Jaguar dealer that you want a written document that cites the specific provisions in the contract that explain why coverage was denied and how your share of that repair cost was determined. Be sure to follow up immediately by sending a letter by certified mail, return receipt, to your Jaguar dealer confirming your request with a copy to the contract administrator. That sets the foundation for you to challenge their determination if need be.

Stuart

Below is some background information you may find useful.

See: Jaguar Limited Warranty and Services | Jaguar USA
"Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan
Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan allows you to benefit from continuing peace of mind after your existing 4 year / 50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires. If you own a Jaguar car with 1,000 miles AND 30 days remaining of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, and would like to maintain the reassurance and protection against unexpected repair costs please contact your local Jaguar Retailer for the Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan.
This comprehensive coverage provides protection against costly repairs due to mechanical failures. From engines and suspensions, to heating/cooling and electrical, the Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan covers the majority of components originally covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. In the event covered repairs are performed by a Jaguar Retailer in the United States, the $100 deductible will be waived to $0."
See the discussion on the F-Type Forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...y-today-99763/

This so-called "Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program" appears to be an extended service contract offered and administered by an unrelated third party and approved by Jaguar. If so, then it is not an extended warranty, since only the factory can stand behind the materials and workmanship of its product; that's the definition of a warranty. This "Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program" isn't backed by Jaguar, even though Jaguar and/or the dealer receives compensation from that third party for allowing them to put the Jaguar name on their document. It's really an insurance policy to pay for repairs, complete with copays, deductibles, limitations, pre-existing conditions, and non-covered conditions - like health insurance for your car.

Even though I haven't read that service contract, odds are that it contains a provision that says that the written document is the entire agreement and that you can't rely on any oral representations made by a salesperson or anyone else. So basically, you need to do your homework and read that contract, particularly the limitations and exclusions from coverage provisions. Odds are that some provisions are intentionally vague and ambiguous in order to enable the administrator to weasel out of providing coverage. You should also pay close attention to the section of that contract pertaining to disputes.

The internet is full of horror stories about automobile extended service contracts. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying - I'm not saying that this "Official Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program" isn't worth buying; it very well may be. I'm just saying that you need to read it thoroughly and understand the limitations and exclusions so you can make an informed decision to buy it or not.

Buyer beware; never buy an extended service contract until after you have read and understood the entire contract.

ralphwg (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Loth,
You just got some good legal advice from Stuart. I think he is not at liberty to say that himself.

Just throwing another thing out there, emission related items are covered by law above and beyond typical warranty. Please check I think they are supposed to be covered for a minimum length of time.

As another poster had asked you how exactly did they find out it was a corroded connector? And is that expensive to repair. The service managers have leeway when it comes to what they can write as warranty repair.

Also ask the guys that replaced the VVT how that could have happened.

Stuart S (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Ok so I just heard from dealership. The Vehicle Protection Program is paying for the bad Solenoid and Labor, but would not cover the Harness (sp?). I dont know exactly what that means or how much I am out. I will have a detailed description of what they covered for me, and what they did NOT. Unfortunately they did not cover everything.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 06-09-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
The Vehicle Protection Program is paying for the bad Solenoid and Labor, but would not cover the Harness
Thats their way of saying; the admission is free, the cabaret is free, the ice tea is $18. On surface it evens out but you paid $4k to join this club.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I just want to chime in on Stuart's well put comments. As a retired trial lawyer who litigated many contract and insurance issues I agree the devil is in the print.

The question in my mind is whether or not you received a complete copy of the "Plan" when you purchased it? There are a lot of issues that flow from there, but delivery of the policy is required in all states I am aware of. How else can you now what you bought.

The following 2 users liked this post by SickRob:
Lothar52 (06-09-2016), Stuart S (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Not as bad as I thought. Out of 612 dollar bill they covered 374. I will say this... its hard to be mad when the jag is fixed and riding amazing on DWS 06's!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

The protection plan specifically states ... "This comprehensive coverage provides protection against costly repairs due to mechanical failures. From engines and suspensions, to heating/cooling and electrical ....” Therefore, I don't see how they can say that your damaged electrical wiring harness (the heart and soul of your Jag's entire electrical system!) is not covered under "electrical".

Like a steering wheel ... a wiring harness should last the life of the car (barring a serious short or fire). It certainly isn't anything a consumer "wears out" (like tires, windshield wipers, etc.) by driving the car!

The harness was either engineered wrong, installed wrong, defective or suffered 'corrosion' during the time that THEY had it sitting OUTSIDE AT THEIR DEALERSHIP FOR 3 MONTHS last WINTER!

And, based to the last sentence of the plan, you don't owe them the $100 deductible!

Don't let Byer’s Jaguar get away with this! If necessary, I’ll call in a favor from Frank Byers, an old friend and former client of mine.

Lothar52 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Completely 100% agree with Snide. "All it takes for bad to win is for good to do nothing"... don't let them get away with this through complacency. The car might be amazing but the situation you've gone through just blows and this company ought not be compensated for either poor care or faulty parts at your expense regards of the amount of costs. When companies get away with this crap it perpetuates the bad behavior.

I'd suggest a detailed letter outlining what you experienced from the get-go and that you should not only not have to pay a thing but be fully covered for the remainder of this time without further concern for costs due to what you've endured thus far. $300+ isn't the end of the world but it does tarnish the joy a bit I'm sure.

Best of luck, so glad the car is running well for now and you finally get to enjoy it

Last edited by Leeper; 06-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Lothar52 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I would be livid if I paid $4300 for a plan like yours and then had to pay half the bill.

Lothar52 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Hi Lothar, I would be very interested to see the list from your contract as presented, it is one of two ways, a Covered Items list or an Exclusion (non-covered) list. Could you scan that page and post it for us, this is helpful regardless for others to decide down the road whether to use this program.

From what I read after some google work about other Jaguar Protection Plan owners with different model cars the covered components include the Solenoid AND Harness. If this is the case you should contact the 3rd party provider (Insurance Underwriter) and open a dispute. I did this on a Coverage Plan on my previous BMW and was able to negotiate with a specific person who internally arbitrated disputes between client and adjuster. I ended up getting more coverage than was originally decided at the shop.

So many people make the mistake and think these are Extended Warranties, they are insurance plans administered by an insurance company. They count on winning more than losing!

Lothar52 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Loth,

Since the amount in dispute is only $238 ($612-374), you may feel that it's not worth the effort to try to get the Administrator to pay it. But if you feel that the principle is more important than the amount, because that amount is so small you can file suit by yourself (pro se) at a low cost in your local Small Claims court for breach of contract against the Administrator. Here's the kicker: because it would cost the Administrator far more than the $238 you seek to have their lawyer litigate this matter, I would expect them to throw in the towel, ask you to file a motion to dismiss your case, and pay what they owe you. Don't forget to tell them that you want to be reimbursed for for your court costs and other expenses as a condition of accepting their settlement offer.

You should read the DISPUTES provision of your contract. If it requires mandatory arbitration and prevents you from filing suit, my above suggestion might not be feasible, although you may want to try it anyway just to give them some grief and let them know that you're serious.

Stuart

Lothar52 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

I need to get the contract out and re-read it. It was very vague when I looked at it a few days ago - Unfortunately being that my job is 14-15 hours per day and I am scheduled to work every day till next Tuesday this is going to have to wait. I am single as well so I can get my wife on it. I will probably end up eating this but this example of not covering 100% of a claim we may all learn how to "get it covered or else".

Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
The protection plan specifically states ... "This comprehensive coverage provides protection against costly repairs due to mechanical failures. From engines and suspensions, to heating/cooling and electrical ....” Therefore, I don't see how they can say that your damaged electrical wiring harness (the heart and soul of your Jag's entire electrical system!) is not covered under "electrical".

Like a steering wheel ... a wiring harness should last the life of the car (barring a serious short or fire). It certainly isn't anything a consumer "wears out" (like tires, windshield wipers, etc.) by driving the car!

The harness was either engineered wrong, installed wrong, defective or suffered 'corrosion' during the time that THEY had it sitting OUTSIDE AT THEIR DEALERSHIP FOR 3 MONTHS last WINTER!

And, based to the last sentence of the plan, you don't owe them the $100 deductible!

Don't let Byer’s Jaguar get away with this! If necessary, I’ll call in a favor from Frank Byers, an old friend and former client of mine.

It is hard to argue with what Snide says... I need to look into this on my next day off. At this point those who were at fault from the dealership - namely the customer service representative are fired - As soon as he was fired all the sudden the techs were calling me trying to fix my car and keeping me up to date personally. I really think that guy had it in for me!! At any rate id be happy at this point understanding EXACTLY WHY the harness was not covered. I need to look at the bill more closely. It would be best that we all use this as a learning experience as to how the "Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program" does business so that those in the future including myself either purchase this warranty - or not. I went from 4300 in the whole to about 4000. We shall see.

That being said I do not want anything to go wrong with my JAG and hope it runs this smooth forever - very good 50 mile drive to work going 80 mph.

Last edited by Lothar52; 06-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, when you are busy this nit-picky crap is hard to address. Especially when it is a fairly minor cost of $238. Newport Beach Jaguar has the protection plan available to look at online, the list shows as an EXAMPLE of covered items, not the covered items, so perhaps different models have different inclusion lists. Yours will be in your contract.

In a different thread there is talk that the program is administratered by United Service Protection Corp (actually Assurant, Inc) with an underlying insurance policy from American Bankers Insurance Company. You could give a call to your Service Adviser at the dealer, they would have had to be in contact with an Adjuster. That is the person you should speak with, who can tell you WHY it is not covered and then possibly direct you to another dept if you do not agree.

Vehicle Protection Plan for Jaguar Vehicles - Jaguar Newport Beach

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from the webpage, I marked the area in RED that shows you should be covered, at least in this "general" list:

Examples of Covered Parts/Components

Engine Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: all internally-lubricated parts, including: pistons: pins, rings, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and main bearings.

Transmission Components

Parts Covered, but not limited to: (Automatic or Manual) All internally-lubricated parts contained within the cases. Transmission case and transfer case are covered only if the breakdown occurred due to an internally-lubricated part. Torque converter, filler tube, dipstick, vacuum modulator, internal linkage, and transmission mounts are also covered.

Drive Axle Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: (Front and Rear) All internally-lubricated parts contained within the differential housing, transaxle housing and final drive housing (includes housing if the failure occurred due to an internally-lubricated part).

Air Conditioning Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: (Factory-Installed Units Only) Air-conditioner compressor, clutch, clutch pulley, clutch coils, and electrical HVAC actuators.

Heating/Cooling Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: water pump, thermostat, radiator and mounting brackets, fan shroud and fan controller module; and coolant recovery unit.

Electrical Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: starter, alternator, voltage regulator, distributor, ignition coil, wiring harness, solenoids, and ignition switch.

Braking Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: master cylinder, power assist booster, wheels cylinders, combination valves, metal hydraulic lines and fittings, and disc calipers.

*Except for items listed in the Exclusions section of the Service Agreement
Suspension Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: struts, mounting plates, retainer and bushing, upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bushings.

Steering Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: gear housing and all internally-lubricated parts, including the rack and pinion, power steering pump, main and intermediate shafts.

Fuel Delivery Components

Parts covered, but not limited to: fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel tank sending unit, metal and plastic fuel lines, and fuel injectors.

Enhanced Systems Protection

Coverage is available for the hi-tech components in your vehicle. Some of the components covered are: blind spot monitors, hands-free systems, rear monitoring systems, driver information center, keyless access systems, navigation systems, multimedia interface, and voice recognition/command system.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

So that should have been covered.. WTF!?!?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
So that should have been covered.. WTF!?!?
Again, it says EXAMPLE of covered items, you may have different and more specific verbiage in your contact.