XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking Lights Will Not Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Parking Lights Will Not Turn Off

I can not get my parking lights to turn off. Twice before over the past couple of years I have parked my car at night only to return in the morning with an almost dead battery. The car would not start and I was able to determine that the parking lights were the problem because they were still very dimly lit.

Well this time I realized that the parking lights did not go out before I went in the house. The control stalk does nothing! It doesn't matter which position I turn it to the parking lights stay on. I had to disconnect the battery last night and manually lock the car to prevent coming out in the morning with a car that wouldn't start!

I will definitely be taking the car into the dealer on Monday but I welcome any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
I can not get my parking lights to turn off. Twice before over the past couple of years I have parked my car at night only to return in the morning with an almost dead battery. The car would not start and I was able to determine that the parking lights were the problem because they were still very dimly lit.

Well this time I realized that the parking lights did not go out before I went in the house. The control stalk does nothing! It doesn't matter which position I turn it to the parking lights stay on. I had to disconnect the battery last night and manually lock the car to prevent coming out in the morning with a car that wouldn't start!

I will definitely be taking the car into the dealer on Monday but I welcome any suggestions as to what the problem might be.
As your battery goes flat, that is one of the quirky things that happens. The networks go down and the park lights come on. Don't know why, it just does.

Cheers,

Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you find out the cause? Hope everything is back to normal.....

Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

They changed the defective control stalk for a new one. It works fine now and I have not had any problems so far.

I experienced a previous problem that I believe was symptomatic of the defective control stalk. Randomly as I was driving the car the display on the console would say "Auto lamp 30 sec delay", "Auto lamp 60 sec delay", etc. I took my car to the dealership on three separate occasions to have them fix the problem. Each time they would tell me that they could not duplicate this behavior. I even recorded it happening on my iPhone yet they could not figure it out. I even suggested that it might be a problem with the control stalk!

It's funny that now that my car is out of warranty they were able to determine that the control stalk was defective. $400 repair. Easy care only covered $109. I have a $250 deductible. Do the math!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

They changed the defective control stalk for a new one. It works fine now and I have not had any problems so far.

I experienced a previous problem that I believe was symptomatic of the defective control stalk. Randomly as I was driving the car the display on the console would say "Auto lamp 30 sec delay", "Auto lamp 60 sec delay", etc. I took my car to the dealership on three separate occasions to have them fix the problem. Each time they would tell me that they could not duplicate this behavior. I even recorded it happening on my iPhone yet they could not figure it out. I even suggested that it might be a problem with the control stalk!

It's funny that now that my car is out of warranty they were able to determine that the control stalk was defective. $400 repair. Easy care only covered $109. I have a $250 deductible. Do the math!
That's not good business, and it sucks that they (what seems obvious) waited.

But glad you got your problem fixed.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Moe-she-sa;

I think that's my problem too? It's kind of rare and I have had the "Auto Lamp Delay" off and on for a long time. Not really bothersome.

Will try the turn signal stalk. Thank You. Are chance you have a part number or price when you replaced it?

Last edited by clubairth1; 05-28-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Stalk

Hi I have the same problem with the parking lights going on even when car is parked for the evening, XKR 2008 convertibel

Battery goes flat and can not start the car,

Did you encounter other problems or ?

Regards Magnus in Sweden

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2023, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
As your battery goes flat, that is one of the quirky things that happens. The networks go down and the park lights come on. Don't know why, it just does.

Cheers,
This is correct. The situation is the reverse of what you would expect. On the XK a failing battery triggers the lights, which may flash on and off or remain on until the battery gasps its last.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-01-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

If the car is going dead is has a current drain?
Sometimes it's hard to find but there is a reason.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If the car is going dead is has a current drain?
Sometimes it's hard to find but there is a reason.
Please reread #8 above; the parking lights being ON is the last sign of a dying battery on these cars. What caused the battery to fail may be age, chronic under-charging, an internal battery defect, poor connections, or indeed a battery drain - but this is the least likely scenario.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Cee Jay (08-02-2023), McJag222 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Understood. Sorry for the wrong suggestion.
Can you post back if this fixed your problem?