Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger seat recline issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger seat recline issue?

Hi all,

New to the forum as I am looking to purchase a used XK or XKR, but I have a potential deal killer that I need to look into.

My wife is both very tall (6') and has a serious nerve/spine injury. So she needs to "try on" any car we buy. We checked out 2007 and 2008 XKs today and while she is "fine" in the driver's seat, she couldn't get the passenger seat to recline far enough for her back in the 2007 or 2008. Leg room in the 2008 wasn't an issue.

So the question I have is whether there are certain years / configurations that allow for more recline in the passenger seat than others? Someone on the forum mentioned that their seat was stuck horizontal but I think it was a '99, which I think is a bit too old for me to pick up. The 2008 coupe was much better than the 2007 convertible, so I'm hoping we can find one that works. Or whether its possible to modify the rear armrest/trim (or whatever it is), since the issue seems to be the seatback pressing against that, moreso than the rear seat. I really want an XK but if she can't fit comfortably I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

Similarly, I know Jag's reliability has improved greatly, so are there older years in particular that I should avoid even if it works?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Nope, the seat back hits the wheel arch and the only way to make it lay down more is to move the whole seat fwd and then the back will lay down more..........but now you have to consider if there's now enough leg room. The same problem exists in a SL550 imho.

I'm assuming the drivers and passengers seats in Your car are both moving or laying back the same and the passengers seat isn't broken. Since you say it hits the wheel arch back there..........then I assume it's the normal XK seat back range.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Disappointing, but thanks for the info.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

My wife has some minor lower back problems and does not like getting into or out of the 2009 XKR.

Once she is in, there is plenty of room and with the electric memory seating, she has a several memories set for her seating in and out which really helps.

It's just getting in and out as the car is rather low compared to her higher seating in her Hyundai Tucson SUV.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
milhouse (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM

If she raises the seat, then reclines the seat, the back will recline a bit further.

Last edited by Hailers; 09-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hailers
If she raises the seat, then reclines the seat, the back will recline a bit further.
Interesting. Felt a bit pressured by the salesman when she was trying it out, so maybe that would help.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The driver's seat is OK with her, but the passenger's seat is not? She's playing you.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I am 6' and I have had major successful back surgery. L4 & L5 fused and laminectomies at L3, L4 and L5 all done at the same time in 2000. I have had two XKs; my former xk was a 2008 vert and my current xk is a 2012 vert. I drive with the seat back straight up, the lower cushion extended all the way forward, the seat cushion back as far as it will go on the tracks and the lumbar support fully inflated. In addition I use the side bolsters as well to hold me in the seat. I get plenty of support and we have taken the car on several extended road trips. Suggest you go back to the dealer and let your spouse play around with the seat controls until she gets something she likes. This is an expensive vehicle you are looking at and the sales people should be very accommodating.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I am 6' and I have had major successful back surgery. L4 & L5 fused and laminectomies at L3, L4 and L5 all done at the same time in 2000. I have had two XKs; my former xk was a 2008 vert and my current xk is a 2012 vert. I drive with the seat back straight up, the lower cushion extended all the way forward, the seat cushion back as far as it will go on the tracks and the lumbar support fully inflated. In addition I use the side bolsters as well to hold me in the seat. I get plenty of support and we have taken the car on several extended road trips. Suggest you go back to the dealer and let your spouse play around with the seat controls until she gets something she likes. This is an expensive vehicle you are looking at and the sales people should be very accommodating.
Agreed....and keep in mind, that the Jaguar XKR has great memory seat settings. Once you get a very comfortable point for riding or driving have that memory locked in. Then in another memory setting, set the seat (driver or passenger) that will make you feel comfortable on exiting the car. This is exactly what I and my wife does. It works GREAT. Memory 1 is my selected driving setup, memory 2 is my setting for exiting the car. This is a great feature on a premium automobile.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 AM

I can ID with the wifes 'problem'. Sitting there and driving the car is one thing, getting in the passengers seat to relax is another. She's not hanging on to the steering wheel engaged in driving in the passengers seat. She wants to kick back and relax. You can't do that in the XK because the seat back hits the wheel arch and if you move even further back it twists the upper seat back.

I've had this problem. I've driven for say seven hundred miles and I'm at my half way point. Now I pull over in a rest stop for a 30 minute break. The seat back won't go back far enough to be comfortable. It's fine (almost fine) when driving, but for leaning back and taking a rest........forgetaboutit. Might as well keep on driving. When resting you want to be sitting in a position other than the one you've been in for the last several hundred miles. Your butt and back need a rest. Ain't happening in a XK unless you five foot two and eyes of blue.

Other than that I like my car.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Exactly - when she drives she can't lay back so she fights through it (though she is medically limited to no more than 15 minutes of driving). So its mostly for me to drive, though she'd like to be able to drive it once in a while. The passenger seat will be the issue, since we go on one hour drives fairly often and I'd like to make them in an XK rather than an SUV.

In any event we are trying again Saturday, so thanks for the suggestions.