XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window operation with top retracted/down

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear window operation with top retracted/down

2008 XKR Portfolio Convertible - I searched but could not find if the rear windows could be operated up with top down unless a jumper is installed (X-100)
I do know that with top up, just tapping the top operational button on the retract side the rear windows go down. Since I had ‘crisis situation knowledge gain’ of how the top can’t be stopped during cycle and the window syc are all tied together and the manual operations needed to realign the computer logic,
I figured I would ask 1st.
- How can I raise the rear windows with top in the retracted stored position?

Last edited by GGG; 10-06-2018 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy
2008 XKR Portfolio Convertible - I searched but could not find if the rear windows could be operated up with top down unless a jumper is installed (X-100)
I do know that with top up, just tapping the top operational button on the retract side the rear windows go down. Since I had ‘crisis situation knowledge gain’ of how the top can’t be stopped during cycle and the window syc are all tied together and the manual operations needed to realign the computer logic,
I figured I would ask 1st.
- How can I raise the rear windows with top in the retracted stored position?
It is very difficult on the X150 because unlike on the X100, the relays that control the window motors are buried inside the convertible top control module and there is no easy access to jumper them.
My Remote Top kit offer it as an option. With the kit installed, three pulls in a row of the passenger window switch will raise both rear windows when the top is down (stowed). This is performed through computer messaging.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

'Oleguy..... BUY HIS CONTROLLER!!!!!
The Remote Top Control (with window control module) is what Jaguar SHOULD have included OEM. The best and easiest mod to an X150! I also had one on my X100.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Buy it.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Remote Top kit purchase

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
It is very difficult on the X150 because unlike on the X100, the relays that control the window motors are buried inside the convertible top control module and there is no easy access to jumper them.
My Remote Top kit offer it as an option. With the kit installed, three pulls in a row of the passenger window switch will raise both rear windows when the top is down (stowed). This is performed through computer messaging.
-Where do I get this kit?
-What is the time/effort required for installation?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy

-Where do I get this kit?
-What is the time/effort required for installation?
See NEW!! '06 -'15, XK / XKR (X150) Convertible Top Remote Control - TheJagWrangler. Lots of information is on the website. It takes about 2-3 hours for most people, some a little less and some a little more.
I am here to help out if you ever run into an issue during or after installation.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I am here to help out if you ever run into an issue during or after installation.
He is there with fast answers and nothing snide, even when I was using the driver window switch instead of the passenger switch.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you explain to me how to reach these window motors? My car was stolen and the top is not working....i tried the reset ....at the point where I need to take to the dealer. But my problem is that the rear windows will not go up. I have reset the top about 50 times and tired the window reset etc.....i have all of the rear seats out and just need to get to the motors to let the windows up so that I can drive until its time for storage...but in my case the shop! This is for my 07 Jaguar XK...fyi I have the remote top kit but never installed it.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jlpatton
Can you explain to me how to reach these window motors? My car was stolen and the top is not working....i tried the reset ....at the point where I need to take to the dealer. But my problem is that the rear windows will not go up. I have reset the top about 50 times and tired the window reset etc.....i have all of the rear seats out and just need to get to the motors to let the windows up so that I can drive until its time for storage...but in my case the shop! This is for my 07 Jaguar XK...fyi I have the remote top kit but never installed it.
Please Private Message me your phone number. You settings do not allow me to send you messages.

The following users liked this post:
jlpatton (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All just when I thought it was hopeless and I was going to have to take the car to the Dealer WhiteXKR helped me out!! Saved me thousands!!! Anyway, my problem was that I was resetting the top by letting it down manually then MANUALLY letting it back up then testing it to see if it worked. Once I read the instructions again I manually let down the top then once it was down I tighten up the knob on the pump in the rear of the car then attempted to let up the top using the button inside the car and BINGO!!! it worked. Thanks so much and I hope this helps out someone else.

envincibal (10-03-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by jlpatton
...fyi I have the remote top kit but never installed it.
I'm glad you got it fixed! You should install the kit now. If I can do it, so can you. If you don't already have a rear wind blocker screen, buy one. That, together with all 4 windows up, makes the cabin much calmer when driving over 60 MPH with the top down.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:52 AM
Ivo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

New member, first post.
Since a few months I own a 2010 XK 5.0 convertible. Pristine condition, low mileage, very happy with it! Really a fantastic car sofar.

Not sure if it's good etiquette to revive an older thread, but my question seems on topic here:
When the roof is folded down / stowed away, I cannot get the rear windows to go up. And I think I would like them up, when driving open?

From this thread, I get the impression that the rear windows staying down with the top open is normal behaviour for the 2010 XK, correct?
I have read about the kit which enables remote control of the roof and also adds rear-window functionality; that could be an option, but to be honest: I had a remote controlled roof on another convertible I owned and while it's nice to have, I don't really miss it. Is there a simpler alternative that only fixes the rear window issue? I would for instance be OK with having them come up together with the door windows, I'd think, or after the door windows when I hold the switch longer. Car will go in for regular service in a few week, so I could ask the dealership to perhaps reprogram this if that is an option.

Unless there is a reason why it was designed this way? Perhaps the rear windows stay down on purpose?
I have the rear wind blocker screen and with both door windows up, the airflow is actually not bad, it's pretty comfortable in the cabin. Is it noticeably better with the rear windows up? Are the rear windows strong enough to take the windflow on higher speeds without the support of the roof?

Thanks for your input,

Ivo

Old 03-04-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Ivo:
Get the ‘kit’ mentioned above. WhiteXKR’s (theJagWrangler) kit is the easiest way to accomplish what you want, and is the best mod you can make on your car. Top down, side and rear windows up, make for smooth cruising at highway speeds when you have that wind deflector behind you.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
ralphwg (03-04-2024), Stuart S (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

What kj said, plus Steve's kit makes the roof One-Touch instead of 'hold for an hour' to control the roof. I had the top controller on my old XK8 and when I got my XKR, I hated not having the controller so I bought the XK controller and will NOT remove it. I use it nearly every time I drive.
Yes, the top down with ALL windows up on a cold day is MUCH better, especially with the rear deflector. Wifey's hair doesn't go flying around anymore. Me, I don't HAVE hair.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (03-04-2024), Stuart S (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

If and when You buy the kit from thejaguarwrangler.com, make sure that you buy the rear window option extra so that you can control the rear windows independently.

Stuart S (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

+1 on the above replies. I have the remote control kit, too. It's what the factory forgot. Steve's illustrated instructions are outstanding. If I can install it myself, so can you.