Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommendations for OBD II readers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for OBD II readers

Hello.

Brand new to these forums. Thanks in advance for any help.

I did a search for ODB and didn't find any subject lines (but a lot of keyword references) so here goes.

I'd like to get an OBD II reader which is savvy to the ODB II protocol extensions which Jaguar (+ Land Rover, I'd guess) use. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd emphasize I don't just want any reader -- they are all over the place on Amazon -- but rather one that recognizes the unique codes for Jaguar.

I'm looking at this now:

Amazon.com: LAND ROVER / JAGUAR iCarsoft i930 OBD2 Engine Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Code Fault Multi-System OBD-II Scanner: Automotive Amazon.com: LAND ROVER / JAGUAR iCarsoft i930 OBD2 Engine Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Code Fault Multi-System OBD-II Scanner: Automotive

Does anyone have an experience to share?

Also, any decent iPhone/iPad ODB II applications which are Jag-savvy?

Thanks much!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I noticed at the bottom of your listing link:
Vehicle coverage:Freelander
Freelander
Defender
Discovery II
Discovery III
Discovery 4
Range Rover Sport
Range Rover
Range Rover Evoque

Makes me wonder, and a bit leery. Maybe some more investigation is in order.
In the Q&A it states that a Jag XJ works, but who knows...

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the response Cee Jay ... since Tata Motors owns both Land Rover and Jaguar, there is some plausibility to the statement that the reader which reads Land Rover codes also reads Jag codes; however, to your point, the models of Jags aren't called out. I'm wondering how strongly I can depend on that assumption ...?

I suppose I can try it and return it. Amazon is pretty good about that.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

there is a thread in the General Tech section for recommended OBD readers (link below). Many have gone with the ELM327 Bluetooth reader and download the Torque Pro app for about $20

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanks Steve -- I looked for the Torque Pro application on the Apple "App Store" and don't see it (I do see a lot of related apps). Is it only for the Android or am I looking in the wrong place?

Any recommendation for the ELM327 adapter? They're all over Amazon ... Lacking other info, I'll just buy one with the best feedback.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Hi, Welcome,
The other guy is right you need to use Torque app. Its the standard.
However, Bluetooth does not work well with apple. Consider an old android phone or make sure you read the reviews of a wifi adapter and see if others have been able to make it talk with apple.
Do have some engine light on right now?
Also check with some others that the ODB11 adapter does not itself cause malfunction in your car. there have been reports.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I bought this $22 ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII reader from Amazon in April 2014
Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive
I use it in my 2009 XKR and 2013 XJ together with the free Torque app that I downloaded to my obsolete HTC Droid Incredible, which I resurrected to use as a dedicated device to display water temperature and voltage gauges. It also shows fault codes and lets you clear them. It works great in both Jags!

Sorry about the reflections.

Note that it's for Android, not Apple (iOS) devices.

Stuart

Old 03-17-2016, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Apple OS doesn't support Android apps so you need an iApp and Apple are rubbish at Bluetooth so use WiFi. There are WiFi versions of the elm327 so find an OBD app for those.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:44 PM

I like the idea of repurposing an older Android phone ... Hadn't thought of that and I just happen to have one in a drawer! I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 PM

... Oh and I absolutely HATE the lack of instrumentation in my 2007 XK8! No coolant temp gauge??? What do I do ... wait for the Engine Temp High light to come on and the engine to seize 30 seconds later? I'll take Stuart's advise and use the 'Droid for additional instrumentation ...

Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Indeed, good use for an old phone.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by farkle-edina
Thanks for the response Cee Jay ... since Tata Motors owns both Land Rover and Jaguar, there is some plausibility to the statement that the reader which reads Land Rover codes also reads Jag codes; however, to your point, the models of Jags aren't called out. I'm wondering how strongly I can depend on that assumption ...?

I suppose I can try it and return it. Amazon is pretty good about that.
The X350 forum members give decent reviews of the i930.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...iences-154143/

I have the autoenginuity software which made sense for me at the time because I also had an MB so I had both the Jag and MB modules. Paid for itself when I got an SRS warning on the MB. $900 repair at the dealer. $65 used seat belt receptacle and a code reset = broke even.
And the software isn't just a scanner.... I can execute resets, live data etc...

Can't complain about it except the price. Their site does indicate the years makes and models it's been tested for.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:39 PM

I bought the suggested BAFX ODBII Bluetooth reader, got a used 'Droid phone, bought Torque Pro and got it all working together. On my 07 XK8, TP flags the BAFX reader as "suspect" with an occasional error but the data it transmits to TP seems legit and the application is amazing (thanks for the tip!). I plugged the same adapter into my 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander, built a profile for it on TP, plugged it in and after driving a few hundred feet the MIL lights went nuts! Everything was flagging an error. I put the car into Park at a red light, shut down the engine, pulled the BAFX unit, restarted the car and all the status lights were off (except Service Engine Soon, of course, since so many errors had been thrown). Car drives fine and the SES light went off after a few drive cycles.

I am returning the unit and buying another from the same seller, in case my unit is defective. Amazon is awash with positive feedback for this particular unit so I want to give it another shot. Will keep you posted.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sean, I see in the post above you have the Autoingenuity package. I'm dealing with and trying to work thru a CATs System Fault on the dash, which has firmed up my suspension as the default. There are several elements to this system (four shocks, two levelers and a computer). I need the proper code to figure out which shock, etc is bad. Nothing looks out of sorts visually..is this something Autoingenuity could reveal, or is it dealer-only? Vehicle is a 2008 XK with 48k miles.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

There is a WiFi OBD reader for us iPhone readers too. I have a KIWI II
by PLX Devices, Inc.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macon6500
Hi Sean, I see in the post above you have the Autoingenuity package. I'm dealing with and trying to work thru a CATs System Fault on the dash, which has firmed up my suspension as the default. There are several elements to this system (four shocks, two levelers and a computer). I need the proper code to figure out which shock, etc is bad. Nothing looks out of sorts visually..is this something Autoingenuity could reveal, or is it dealer-only? Vehicle is a 2008 XK with 48k miles.
Macon you might want to open a new thread on your question but my two cents:

Yes the software will Jaguar specific display trouble codes stored in the ADCM.

From there you can investigate where the code leads you. The attached shows you some specific data the software provides within that ADCM. I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for OBD II readers-screen-shot-2016-05-02-6.48.18-pm.png  
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

If you're on the fence on the i930, they're available through Walmart.com for just under $95.free shipping at the moment!

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wa3ra
If you're on the fence on the i930, they're available through Walmart.com for just under $95.free shipping at the moment!
That would be a low cost risk/ reward option. Buy it, run several diagnostics on a Saturday afternoon. See if has reset capabilities etc. If not, take it back on the same weekend.

I have a question for the forum. Those of you that use the bluetooth devices, does your agreement for the app grant access of your android to the vendor?

I don't download any apps on my phone because any that I've been interested in want data mining rights. contact info etc...

I don't use my cell for any transactions so I'm not concerned about hacking, just don't like other people minding my business. Feels like one of those Progressive insurance OBD II dongles that monitor your driving habits.

OK maybe a tad paranoid but I'd like to read your thoughts.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Who reads that fine print! My thoughts...As far as "data mining goes", if you do any online searching they have all the need of your choices now........
Happy Trails....

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider48:
glenmo25 (10-11-2021), Sean W (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
I have a question for the forum. Those of you that use the bluetooth devices, does your agreement for the app grant access of your android to the vendor?
My copy of the Torque App for my Bluetooth came as the full version on a mini-CD included with the OBD2 adapter. It also came with Dash Commander, but I much prefer Torque.
There were no "Permissions" required other than use the Bluetooth. The entire App is self-contained. You WILL however need to change your settings on your device momentarily to allow Third Party App Installation. You can reset that immediately after the install.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Recommendations for OBD II readers