XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Icarsoft I930 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Icarsoft I930 experiences

Has anyone had any experience with the icarsoft I930. I just ordered one ($120.00) to read and clear codes. I own Land Rover and Jaguars, and just need to read and clear simple codes. A one time visit to have codes read will pay for itself. The mongoose just seems to complicated right now. Plus I read too much on the problems, reliability, and crashes of the mongoose. I have to admit I am also a little intimidated by it. I know I shouldn't be, but I havent needed a program that detailed yet. But, as they say "winter is comming" and so will be the need for a Mongoose as this car isnt getting any younger. Neither am I.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Mark,

Hopefully some of our X350/X358 members will respond with some helpful info, but you might also reach out to Jim Lombardi in the X308 forum - I know he bought one of the iCarsoft i930 Jaguar versions.

I have the iCarsoft i930 BMW version and it works OK. The interface is not as intuitive or self-explanatory as it could be, and the display is quite small, but so far it's been able to do the things I needed it to do. The only issue I had was that it would not clear an airbag code until I updated the firmware or software, but that wasn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (12-08-2015), EssOess (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Several reports show much as the above. Not cheap, bit awkward, may need software update. (But usage far easier than mongoose.)

Old 12-03-2015, 02:33 AM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi Ive got one for the jag not had to use it for anything yet but have connected up to the car easy to use had a few old faults on which I cleared also reads live data not a bad bit of kit screen is small but not had a problem with that personally and at that price will pay for itself in no time if you need to read any codes

Last edited by clifton94; 12-03-2015 at 04:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clifton94:
AD2014 (12-08-2015), Don B (12-06-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

They do much more than read and delete codes. I'm still on my crash course studies to understand all the data streams from every sensor on the engine,trans,breaks,AC. Set on auto scan (not data)it goes through all systems where it flashes through and reports 100% on each if they're OK but when a problem is detected it's the data streams we need and need to understand to diagnose..

Last edited by ZenFly; 12-03-2015 at 05:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZenFly:
AD2014 (12-08-2015), Don B (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

I received my I930 today. Hooked it up and went thru all the features. Wow what a great investment. It told the tale of the history of the car. This would be a great tool prior to vehicle purchase. Told me current and past data including dates/mileage since cleared. The best investment I've made on this car along with my BT streaming unit. It will be so much easier to troubleshoot with the live data feature, fuel trims ect. Without it, and ofcoarse you guys on the forum, I would just be throwing $ at the car, and hoping that I would find the fix with minimum parts.
Dont be afraid to pick one up (no affiliation). Its the most affordable, and works fairly well. Especially if you also own a Land Rover. 2 for the price of 1. Probally will making a few less trips to the dealer. $$$$$$ Christmas came early this year.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mark in Maine:
AD2014 (12-08-2015), Don B (12-06-2015), jello_g (12-12-2015)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just also got my i930. Not as intuitive at the first use as my more general purpose code reader, but easy enough to get the hang of in a couple of uses. It helped me sort through a P0101 trouble code that was preventing the car from passing its annual NY state inspection as well as providing all the codes that had been posted by the various car systems over its 11 year life...probably about 20 of them! Definitely a good investment.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Mason
I just also got my i930. Not as intuitive at the first use as my more general purpose code reader, but easy enough to get the hang of in a couple of uses. It helped me sort through a P0101 trouble code that was preventing the car from passing its annual NY state inspection as well as providing all the codes that had been posted by the various car systems over its 11 year life...probably about 20 of them! Definitely a good investment.
Wow..I didn't know that was there.. I'm going outside to ck that history right now..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

What I discovered with this tool is that I needed to select "OBD11 Diagnose" to read the ECM DTCs, but then when I select simply "Diagnose" and worked through some pages to define my car, I ended up at a page that listed all the other systems...Transmission, ABS, etc. When I selected each one in turn, I could read the codes by each system that had been previously posted and clear them. Since I have owned my car for about 5 years, I'm guessing I'm the first to ever do that. The only code that remains pertains to the rear distance warning system, which I've been meaning to fix for months.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Mason:
Mark in Maine (01-07-2016), ZenFly (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

What I discovered with this tool is that I needed to select "OBD11 Diagnose" to read the ECM DTCs, but then when I select simply "Diagnose" and worked through some pages to define my car, I ended up at a page that listed all the other systems...Transmission, ABS, etc. When I selected each one in turn, I could read the codes by each system that had been previously posted and clear them. Since I have owned my car for about 5 years, I'm guessing I'm the first to ever do that. The only code that remains pertains to the rear distance warning system, which I've been meaning to fix for months.
Does it read all the Jaguar specific chassis codes? I'd like to determine the cause of my occasional air suspension fault message and I believe there are 35 codes that can trigger that message. I never did get my Mongoose clone and software to work for me so it is a $42 paperweight right now.

One thing I learned the hard way is to never leave batteries in a code reader. The Duracell batteries in my Actron CP9580 leaked and gassed and corroded the PC board in the reader to the point it would no longer turn on. The duracell package says they are guaranteed not to leak they will repair or replace any damaged items, but Duracell has never responded to a claim submitted on their web site.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Hi Phil,
What I can tell you is that "Air Suspension" is one of the selectable items after 'Diagnose" and that while my car is not showing any related DTCs (at least not this morning!), it does seem to have the ability to read 43 parameters. Whether these would all produce a DTC when beyond prescribed limits, I wouldn't know, but my guess is that it does. Amongst the 43 parameters were items such as ride height, sensors and valves.

Good point about removing the batteries from electronic devices that only get used once in a while. The i930 does not have batteries. It gets powered up by plugging into the connector under the dash. My other scan tool takes a 9v battery which is kept in a ziplock bag when not in use - A lesson that was learned the hard way.

Regards

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (01-09-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default I have one for the x350 XJR and one for a 2007 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Has anyone had any experience with the icarsoft I930. I just ordered one ($120.00) to read and clear codes. I own Land Rover and Jaguars, and just need to read and clear simple codes. A one time visit to have codes read will pay for itself. The mongoose just seems to complicated right now. Plus I read too much on the problems, reliability, and crashes of the mongoose. I have to admit I am also a little intimidated by it. I know I shouldn't be, but I havent needed a program that detailed yet. But, as they say "winter is comming" and so will be the need for a Mongoose as this car isnt getting any younger. Neither am I.

I was sent the data to use my Mongoose clone, it ate me up. The software files are huge, requires an ancient computer, not got it sorted. Bought it mainly to turn off the speed limiter.
Ordered the iCarsoft and use it every couple months. Loiked it so much I bought another for the wife's BMW. Both have paid for them selves.
And I have never driven the XJR over about 80 mph in the 6 months I have owned it. So I guess the speed limiter is not holding me back.

philwarner (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I was sent the data to use my Mongoose clone, it ate me up. The software files are huge, requires an ancient computer, not got it sorted. Bought it mainly to turn off the speed limiter.
Ordered the iCarsoft and use it every couple months. Loiked it so much I bought another for the wife's BMW. Both have paid for them selves.
And I have never driven the XJR over about 80 mph in the 6 months I have owned it. So I guess the speed limiter is not holding me back.
Hi Phil,
What I can tell you is that "Air Suspension" is one of the selectable items after 'Diagnose" and that while my car is not showing any related DTCs (at least not this morning!), it does seem to have the ability to read 43 parameters. Whether these would all produce a DTC when beyond prescribed limits, I wouldn't know, but my guess is that it does. Amongst the 43 parameters were items such as ride height, sensors and valves.

Good point about removing the batteries from electronic devices that only get used once in a while. The i930 does not have batteries. It gets powered up by plugging into the connector under the dash. My other scan tool takes a 9v battery which is kept in a ziplock bag when not in use - A lesson that was learned the hard way.

Regards

Thanks, guys,

Guess I should stop beating my head against the Mongoose/XPPro wall and save up for the icarsoft code reader. One reason I went for the Mongoose clone, besides being cheep, was that it was supposed to also read codes in my 98 LR Discovery 1 and the icarsoft i930 does not list that model, only Discovery 2s.

Good to know the i930 uses only the 5V OBDII power and not batteries. I've never had a 9Volt battery leak, but I took the one out of my metal detector just in case after the Duracell AAA fiasco in the Actron. I can live with batteries hosing inexpensive flashlights (and even a few expensive sealed maglights) but the destruction of the Actron really frosted me. Seems quality is hard to find these days except for Henry rifles, Mac tools, and X350s.

Is there a better source for the i930 than Amazon whose's price is $135 with free shipping?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Just to toss it out there, but there is an icarsoft i930 2 out now, also available on Amazon. I am unsure if the few added features are worth the increase in price though ($135 vs $188).

philwarner (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
Just to toss it out there, but there is an icarsoft i930 2 out now, also available on Amazon. I am unsure if the few added features are worth the increase in price though ($135 vs $188).
In Q&A on Amazon it says:

The main difference between i930 and LR II are The new generation support Oil service reset, EPB and It Has large chip volume with better design also When icarsoft release FREE update for their device. To update the i930 you need to connect the device to computer but updating LR-II much faster and easier! you just need to update the Micro SD Memory Card ( 4GB Micro SD Memory Card come with device) Hope this information helpful feel free to contact us for any more questions you might have. Best Regards hotsales21 sells team.

The description for the i930 says " FULL COLOR, 2.8" LCD SCREEN" while the i930 II says "4.0" TFT LCD With 480 * 320 Pixels" so it has a slightly larger screen and does some resets the i930 does not, but the description also says "LR II is mainly for LandRover . The software of Jaguar is free of charge as value-added services for customers."

A i930-II listing on ebay says "As an added bonus, the scanner is equipped with full OBDII capabilities that allows you to scan all engine readings and related trouble codes (check engine light) on ANY vehicle make/model 1996 and newer.(U.S. only)" If true that would be an advantage, although an ebay listing for the i930 says the same thing.

Does the i930 read other cars engine codes? And is the added ability to reset some items valuable on our X350s?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
Does the i930 read other cars engine codes? And is the added ability to reset some items valuable on our X350s?
I have the older one. VERY useful all-around on my 2005 X-350.

Also got the job done on the various used cars I scouted. Still supports me on the one I bought (2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring).

I've become a 'don't hit the road without one' convert, have two other makes, but the i930 is by far the best amongst my ones..

philwarner (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thermite
I have the older one. VERY useful all-around on my 2005 X-350.

Also got the job done on the various used cars I scouted. Still supports me on the one I bought (2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring).

I've become a 'don't hit the road without one' convert, have two other makes, but the i930 is by far the best amongst my ones..

Thanks, Bill,

Good to hear it works on other vehicles as well. Saw one Q&A answer that it would work on a 1997 LR Discovery 1, although the icarsoft site only lists D2s. Hope it does more than just engine codes on my 98 D1.

Interesting too that the difference in price between the i930 and the i930-II (aka LR-II) on ebay is almost to the penny what I paid for the Mongoose that I've not been able to use so far. Not earth shaking, just an observation and perhaps a bit karmic for my not going the i930 route in the first place.

I rather like the fact that the cord is removable on the new model making storage cleaner, but that connection could also be one more possible source of error. Still weighing the options. The YouTube videos of the new one leave much to be desired; no narration - just paging through various screens too fast to mean much with one video up side down to boot.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

icarsoft 930i
Does anyone have any detailed instructions for live streaming. Like for the Air Suspension Module it shows about 40 items but I don't find anyway to get live info. from it. I saw a demo on youtube but that didn't really explain the procedures.
I think it's a pretty good tool for the money but way short on instructions. It would be nice to have an expert user explain all the various procedures and capabilities of it.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

i'm certain only the sensors that are accessible in data stream ,
ether via numeric or graph ,
can be live monitored .
you can only otherwise retrieve codes from the modules via i930 .

preacherbob (08-07-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default i930 for Jaguar XK8

I received a email from iCarsoft today telling me the i930 will not support the XK8.

The following 2 users liked this post by XK8 Comfort:
sdbill (09-21-2017), VroomForTwo (07-19-2021)