Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red TeK refrigerant

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Red TeK refrigerant

Has anyone tried using Red Tek in the XK, XKR??

I've used it in my Ford Explorer and it works well - I see no reason not to use it in a Jag.

2009 XKR, 70,000 kilometers.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It doesn't look like they have a R134 option and you can't use the R12A I don't believe.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

JT - the red tek replaces R134a - that is what I had in my Ford.

Just wondered if anybody had tried it in a Jag as I'm probably looking at re-charging the system as it wasn't as cool as I'd like it to be - can't remember the center vent temp now though.

RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit | Canadian Tire

Old 10-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
JT - the red tek replaces R134a - that is what I had in my Ford.

Just wondered if anybody had tried it in a Jag as I'm probably looking at re-charging the system as it wasn't as cool as I'd like it to be - can't remember the center vent temp now though.

RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit | Canadian Tire
When you put a set of gauges on your system did it tell you that you are low on freon. Because it's not as cold doesn't mean you are low .

Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
When you put a set of gauges on your system did it tell you that you are low on freon. Because it's not as cold doesn't mean you are low .
In regards to the Jag JT no - I didn't want to tinker with it this last summer.

In the Ford - it was low - If I remember rightly the clutch would not even engage. I'd already had the Ford evacuated and refilled, but within 1-2 years I'd lost pressure. Whether the tech had done a leak check I dunno.

I decided to do the Red Tek - used the leak seal and the car has been good so far.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I would advise against using Red Tek. From what I understand, the Red Tek is flammable. I just dont like the idea of that under my hood. In addition, once you use Red Tek, you must place the label they provide in a visible area. The reason being, if a mechanic ever evacuates the system, the Red Tek product contaminates their system somehow. I see you are a fellow Canadian from Vancouver. If you can cross the border to the USA, I believe Walmart has the real refrigerant available to purchase. I purchased R134a in Buffalo NY Walmart for another car I was able to recharge.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by themorningman
I would advise against using Red Tek. From what I understand, the Red Tek is flammable. I just dont like the idea of that under my hood. In addition, once you use Red Tek, you must place the label they provide in a visible area. The reason being, if a mechanic ever evacuates the system, the Red Tek product contaminates their system somehow. I see you are a fellow Canadian from Vancouver. If you can cross the border to the USA, I believe Walmart has the real refrigerant available to purchase. I purchased R134a in Buffalo NY Walmart for another car I was able to recharge.

Hope this helps.
You are right they are flammable - this is from the site:

HC's are considered flammable gases, in concentrations of 1.9% and 8.5% of the total amount of air volume contained in a sealed or enclosed space.

Due to the smaller amounts of Alkane refrigerants required in an air conditioning system, this is not a relevant issue and has been addressed through a number of extensive liability risk assessments carried out on these products.

It is important to know, that outside of the North American marketplace, Hydrocarbon refrigerants make up approximately 50% of the refrigerant used throughout the World. And, as of this date, there has not been one recorded incident anywhere on the Globe, in the past century, where Alkane / Hydrocarbon refrigerants have caused or been involved in a fire or explosion in mobile or stationary air conditioning systems.

RED TEK® 12a is heavier than air and will therefore tend to collect in pits, trenches, basements, well type display cases / chest freezers. Such areas should be ventilated to disperse vapor.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Because its flammable that would be my number 1 reason not to use it. The other reason is that youre replacing the refrigerant with another that was not used in the car when it was new. I would keep it real and get the proper refrigerant or better yet get your system pressure tested to see if you have a leak. It may not be an expensive fix.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I believe I used the brand Enviro-Safe in my 86 XJ.

You're correct, it's flammable. It's approved for use in the US. You evacuate the system to zero pressure (you don't draw a vacuum.)

It's less stressful on the A/C system because of the lower operating pressure.

It isn't harmful to the ozone.

Cost is about the same as 134a refrigerant now, I think.

The cabin cooled quickly with no noticeable difference.

There's no significant advantage to using other than impact to the environment weighed against the risk of fire (really the risk is spark or flame). There's nothing different in a Jag A/C system that would prevent you from using it.

I tried it as an experiment. I think these products are common in Canada. Maybe Mikey can weigh in.

I'll stick with 134a.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by themorningman
The other reason is that youre replacing the refrigerant with another that was not used in the car when it was new.
This is not relevant if the system is evacuated. Think back to when R12 was replaced by R134a. The valves and brings were changed (rings to address the higher pressure if memory serves), and that was it.

The fire risk is low as pointed out above and around the world real life scenarios. Mentally, I can't get past it though.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion I think its totally relevant. Also, if the system doesnt have a leak the risk is reduced for sure. If it has a leak, I wouldnt want that stuff escaping under my hood due to it being flammable. I personally wouldnt use it. Another consideration, if its so safe, why arent manufacturers using a similiar product to Red Tek in new cars? After all its better for the environment. I have to say, I am not sure if there are any new cars being sold using this product. If there are I would be surprised. In any event its up to the original poster to chose. Both will provide adequate cooling.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

I did evacuate the Ford before using the Red Tek - they do provide a sticker to state the system has been charged with it and the amount in OZ's.

I'm happy with how it worked out - I will check the pressure on the Jag to see if it has lost pressure.

As for the flammability - I don't really consider it an issue, the stuff is heavier than air - the engine compartment is not sealed so there would be no build up of gas.