XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote open roof of a Jaguar convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote open roof of a Jaguar convertible?

I would like to be able to remote open my roof and lift the rear windows. My dealer says installing an aftermarket device as below is risky. Anybody tips or experiences?

Video Demo - TheJagWrangler

Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael.

The remote roof was developed by a forum member, and has nothing but positive feedback...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-109235/

I've deleted your other posts, please do not post the same thing in different threads.

When you have a moment please stop by our new members area and introduce yourself...New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
Michaell (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaell
I would like to be able to remote open my roof and lift the rear windows. My dealer says installing an aftermarket device as below is risky. Anybody tips or experiences?

I was one of the Beta testers for this mod. on Steaves behalf and myself and others spent almost 4 months putting it through every test we could come up with, time after time and Steve woud not release it to the public untill he was sure that all problems had been satisfied ,So go ahead treat yourself with every confidence , its amazing. Bernie

The following 2 users liked this post by sherbercars:
Cambo (08-05-2014), Michaell (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:35 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Michaell, there is no problem installing the remote unit. Did it myself and of course, a jag dealer is always suspicious of aftermarket products and doesn't approve attempts to change the state of the car.
As a fellow countryman I can only say:" gewoon doen hoor, krijg je geen spijt van en is makkelijk te installeren door jezelf!"

Last edited by mcdutch; 08-05-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling wrong
The following 2 users liked this post by mcdutch:
Cambo (08-05-2014), Michaell (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Your dealer is mistaken. I installed Steve's kit less than 2 weeks ago with no problems. See my post #153 for tips and my experience, which I copied below: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109235/page8/ One thing I didn't mention in that post is that I'm 73! So, If I can do it....

"Another Satisfied Customer!
I finally got around to installing Steve's kit since my wife abandoned me this weekend to go to her annual reunion with her college sorority sisters. First thing I did was to print the installation instructions - I was overwhelmed that they were 39 pages long! What did I get myself into??? My fears were unfounded.

My "Thanks" to Steve for a superb product with well-written instructions with photos. I am not a mechanic, but have lots of experience assembling toys for my grandkids so I figured I'd give it a shot. Bottom line is that everything works and I can't believe I did it all by myself!

If I can do it, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. All you need is patience - and not too much arthritis!

I want to give you my thoughts about the installation that are not covered in Steve's instructions.

1. Make sure you use the latest version of the instructions, which (as of today) is Version 1.6. I mention this because I inadvertently used Version 1.5 and thought I had a problem but actually did not after emailing Steve.

2. Do the work in your garage on a cool day, and make sure to have a fan to blow air into the car while you're working. Keep a cold drink handy - you'll need it.

3. Give yourself as much room to work as possible in the back seat. After you use the electrical switches on the doors to move both seats/backs as far forward and up as possible, pull the chrome handle on the top of each seat back to make them flip forward. Remove the seatbelts from the loop holders on the seat backs to make it easier to get in and out.

4. Make it as as comfortable as possible in the back seat. After you remove the seats the surfaces are hard and uncomfortable so use a foam stadium seat or other cushioning. It's cramped back there and you'll be in some awkward positions at times, so some padding will help.

4. Put the small parts that M removed (bolts, nuts, etc.) in separate ziplock bags and label each bag to identify what they're used for to facilitate re-installation. Note: I didn't do this, and had all the small parts in the cup holder but I wasted time sorting through everything when putting it back together.

5. Take your time, follow the instructions step-by-step, and make sure that you tighten each posi-tap connector securely.

I actually had fun doing the installation, and am quite proud of my work! If I can do it, so can you!

THANKS AGAIN, STEVE!

Stuart

P.S. Since I had to remove the back seats, I took that opportunity to thoroughly clean and condition them. Although they didn't look bad before I started, I was surprised that my white rags got so filthy. There's more dirt on those seats than you think!"
end quote

Again, if I can do it, anyone who can read and follow directions can do it. You don't need a lot of mechanical skill, just have patience and take your time. Don't second-guess the instructions; follow them step-by-step to the letter. And if you get stuck on something, Steve is there to help as well as those of us on this Forum who've done the installation.

Bottom line: I can't believe I lived without this for so long! In particular, being able to raise the rear quarter windows with the top down - a huge improvement in cabin quietness at 60mph with all 4 windows up together with my rear wind deflector.

Stuart

Michaell (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm another satisfied user. Steve has developed a superb setup for the remote control of the top and rear windows at a reasonable price. Not least among the benefits is that you no longer have to hold or press the operating button while the top goes up or down. With all of the windows up, a wind deflector installed and the top down you can drive at 60-75 mph with reduced wind noise and very little wind entering the cockpit. Go for it!!

Michaell (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much for the information!