XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Remove Console & Head Unit Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Remove Console & Head Unit Trim

I'm trying to install a C2P-16491 Iphone package on my '08 XK and have found a couple of threads in this forum pertaining to this. It seems a couple of guys have done the install themselves but there no detailed info on removing the console trim or the headunit trim. Wondering if anyone could share their experience with this? I don't want to wind up needing new trim because I chipped the existing.

Also, for anyone else interested in doing this project there's a software install that's require to allow this unit to function and it has been long since document here in this forum. What hasn't been mention (I don't think) is there's a software ROM upgrade. But what's unclear at this point is whether this is "the software" required for initial install or its an upgrade to the initial install software. I'll know more once I get the unit installed and running. The ROM can be found here;

http://www.dension.com/jaguar/?agree=0&xk=0

Anyway please help if you know how to remove the wood trim.

Thx in advance

Btw, c2p-16491 can be found on jaguarparts.com for $237 now.

Last edited by hooutoo; 03-08-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hooutoo
I'm trying to install a C2P-16491 Iphone package on my '08 XK and have found a couple of threads in this forum pertaining to this. It seems a couple of guys have done the install themselves but there no detailed info on removing the console trim or the headunit trim. Wondering if anyone could share their experience with this? I don't want to wind up needing new trim because I chipped the existing.

Also, for anyone else interested in doing this project there's a software install that's require to allow this unit to function and it has been long since document here in this forum. What hasn't been mention (I don't think) is there's a software ROM upgrade. But what's unclear at this point is whether this is "the software" required for initial install or its an upgrade to the initial install software. I'll know more once I get the unit installed and running. The ROM can be found here;

http://www.dension.com/jaguar/?agree=0&xk=0

Anyway please help if you know how to remove the wood trim.

Thx in advance

Btw, c2p-16491 can be found on jaguarparts.com for $237 now.
I got mine installed at the dealer however I do know how to get the screen and whatever hooked up to it out. You can get the trim that is around the screen, deck and climate control out easily by pulling it from the bottom below the climate controls right above the ashtray. It is just clipped on. Once that is out you will find I believe 6 screws that hold the whole screen assembly together. Once you remove the screws the whole unit comes out. That is as far as I needed to go but it does give you access to all the wiring for the deck unit.

When they installed my unit they added the ipod connector to the centre console and the USB/RCA input in the glove box. I dont know how they got to either.

I do have one problem with the installation that they haven't been able to fix. Whenever I select the auxiliary, even with nothing connected to it, I get alternator "whine". It is driving me nuts. The dealers answers was to "turn up the volume and you will not hear it". The stupidest thing I have ever heard. I will be spending sometime this summer to see how I can get rid of the noise. I am hoping I can eliminate the problem from right behind the deck unit since I know how to get there.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Default Here's the info

I thought I did a pretty could search of this forum but just didn't see this; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=49563

I guess I'm using search too much instead of just looking thru the threads. Anyway, as soon as I'm done installing I'll find out more about the ROM upgrade.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hooutoo
I thought I did a pretty could search of this forum but just didn't see this; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=49563

I guess I'm using search too much instead of just looking thru the threads. Anyway, as soon as I'm done installing I'll find out more about the ROM upgrade.
You just saved me some typing!

I got that console project behind me, thankfully. I absolutely hated "prying" on the console trim to remove it. I was dreading the sound of expensive Jag veneer cracking. Those retaining clips are very stiff and it requires a lot of effort to get them to release. Mine did make a "pop" sound when it finally let go and scared the crap out of me.

I started on the narrow "legs" around the ashtray because they are likely the most delicate and then worked my way back. Worked a very thin blade putty knife into the seam until I could switch to a wooden wedge. (I used a shim like you use for installing house doors) I then pushed and tapped to force the shim in rather than prying. Note where the retaining tabs are located from the illustrations and work around them. Once the veneers are off, it's pretty easy to figure out the rest of the disassembly.

The radio/climate control veneer was much easier just prying with my fingers, starting from the bottom. It seemed sturdier.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by AirCav
You just saved me some typing!

I got that console project behind me, thankfully. I absolutely hated "prying" on the console trim to remove it. I was dreading the sound of expensive Jag veneer cracking. Those retaining clips are very stiff and it requires a lot of effort to get them to release. Mine did make a "pop" sound when it finally let go and scared the crap out of me.

I started on the narrow "legs" around the ashtray because they are likely the most delicate and then worked my way back. Worked a very thin blade putty knife into the seam until I could switch to a wooden wedge. (I used a shim like you use for installing house doors) I then pushed and tapped to force the shim in rather than prying. Note where the retaining tabs are located from the illustrations and work around them. Once the veneers are off, it's pretty easy to figure out the rest of the disassembly.

The radio/climate control veneer was much easier just prying with my fingers, starting from the bottom. It seemed sturdier.

Good luck!
Man, you would have laught your *** off if you had seen my face when mine pop loose. I to used a putty knife and just thought for sure I'd be buying new veneer before the day was out. I started from the back thinking it looked a little stronger back there. When that thing pop the knife FLEW out of hand and I thought for sure it was done but I open my eyes, look down and it was still in one piece. TOO FUNNY!

And yes you're right the top was a piece of cake. It got dark here so I couldn't finish completely but was able to start it, check the radio, the cd player and nav system so I guess I didn't break it. Tomorrow I'm going to try the ROM upgrade to see if it's the complete install or just a ROM update for the Dension unit. I'm thinking now it's just for the Dension unit.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Unfortunately it is as I feared the ROM update mention above is for the c2p-16491/dension unit itself. The headunit software must be updated by jaguar.