XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Removing car door panel (for speaker upgrade) with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing car door panel (for speaker upgrade) with pictures

Hi folks. After getting a lot of hugely expensive quotes for installing an upgraded amplifier / speaker system I've decided to do it myself.
First up was to see if I could remove things and route wires without wrecking my car.
So - how to take the door panel off:
You need a T30 star screw bit to remove the door and a T25 one to remove the existing speaker.
1. Wind the window down.
2. At the door jamb end, remove a cover (it is just clipped in) and remove a bolt.

3. Remove the bolts from underneath the door handle on the inside. There are two of these.

4. Do not remove the bolts under the covers here.

5. Remove the tweeter bezel. It is just clipped in.
6. Working from the bottom, pull the door panel away from the rest of the door (note there is some panelling that stays on the door - the brown bit at the bottom in my car). There are just clips.
7. Once the panel is loose - you need to lift the panel off the door. Do it slowly and steadily.
**EDIT**
After further work on the car - you should not lift at this point, just pull the panel away from the clips. I did no harm either way, but pulling way is how it was meant to be. Just be careful!

The speaker is even worse than I thought! 2W!! Seriously?! 2W?!?!?!! Urgl. Explains a lot.

When replacing the door - you'll need to remove the clips from the top of the panel and put them back onto the door.

Hope this is useful!
M

Last edited by manicguitarist; 06-02-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Updated info
The following 3 users liked this post by manicguitarist:
Aonsaithya (06-28-2018), CleverName (05-21-2012), Mike V (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Manic, great post. Thank you. Keep us informed on the rest of the project - what you are upgrading to, any problems getting it installed.

Are you working on the 07 or the 09? And, of course, let us know how it sounds when you are done. (I assume based on your screen name that sound quality is very important to you.)

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Havebook
Hey Manic, great post. Thank you. Keep us informed on the rest of the project - what you are upgrading to, any problems getting it installed.

Are you working on the 07 or the 09? And, of course, let us know how it sounds when you are done. (I assume based on your screen name that sound quality is very important to you.)

Sound quality - not so much. Sound volume - yes please. I play guitar in a rock band, playing 80s stylee metal (think LA Guns, Iron Maiden, Van Halen).

This is on an 07 XK. With the even more basic than I thought sound system (looks like 4 x 4W!!!). So pretty much anything will improve it.

I think easiest would be to replace the front speakers with new ones and take the wires from those speakers as the inputs into a higher power amp. I'll replace the tweeters, but leave those powered by the original wires (not sure where the cross over is you see) and also leave the original rear speakers as is.

If, on tracing the wiring a bit, I can find the cross over for the front speakers / tweeter I'll power the new tweeters from a new cross over via the new amp.

Hey, I don't spose anyone knows how the tweeters are wired in do they? I've put the door back together now, but I guess I could take it all apart again for a quick look see.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Calm down mate! 2W93 is the start of the part number!

They are probably 40W.

There are no crossovers, the tweeter has a capacitor wired in-line, which acts as a high pass filter.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for this - I've got a rattle in my door someplace so I've been thinking about taking the panel off to check it out.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or can anyone else not see the attached images? I've been dying to see pictures of this process but they are not coming up for me.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by zman112233
Is it just me or can anyone else not see the attached images? I've been dying to see pictures of this process but they are not coming up for me.
My bad. They are stored on my company server which is down daily from 4am to around 6am for backup. Try later in your day. Ps your post was at 438am uk time.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speakers

Originally Posted by manicguitarist
Hi folks. After getting a lot of hugely expensive quotes for installing an upgraded amplifier / speaker system I've decided to do it myself.
First up was to see if I could remove things and route wires without wrecking my car.
So - how to take the door panel off:
You need a T30 star screw bit to remove the door and a T25 one to remove the existing speaker.
1. Wind the window down.
2. At the door jamb end, remove a cover (it is just clipped in) and remove a bolt.

3. Remove the bolts from underneath the door handle on the inside. There are two of these.

4. Do not remove the bolts under the covers here.

5. Remove the tweeter bezel. It is just clipped in.
6. Working from the bottom, pull the door panel away from the rest of the door (note there is some panelling that stays on the door - the brown bit at the bottom in my car). There are just clips.
7. Once the panel is loose - you need to lift the panel off the door. Do it slowly and steadily.

The speaker is even worse than I thought! 2W!! Seriously?! 2W?!?!?!! Urgl. Explains a lot.

When replacing the door - you'll need to remove the clips from the top of the panel and put them back onto the door.

Hope this is useful!
M
Go to You tube and there is a fellow there that has done a very extensive up grade (done correctly) that may be of help.

fellow there has done a very extensive up grade

Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 AM

Yes. Seen that. He is a member on here. Been very helpful too.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a link to some additional pictures and includes some of the tweeter. I installed Hertz Hi-Energy components and ran them active off the JL 900/5 amp with an Audisson Bit One doing the EQ/time alignment
http://photobucket.com/Xkr-audio

Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manic,

Please will you take pictures where you splice in the speaker cables at each door. Thanks very much in advance

Ed

Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Ed - see this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upgrade-74410/

Others, also please see that thread for updated details on how to remove door panel.