XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reverse camera, iPod & USB added to 2008 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Making progress on my reverse camera install. Using all the parts that Jahummer has listed for us, with the exception that I have installed an aftermarket camera for now. I have wired everything in and have ran camera cable and power to rear fuse box area. Waiting on my farka cable to come in to make final connections, then I will need to get camera option turned on.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

OK then, let me play the part of The Idiot, mostly because I sorta am one;
Jahummer, why exactly did you advise "spliced to the thin red wire on the connector in the RSJB pic posted below circled in red"? Plus where is that panel? Behind the rear seat, I'd surmise.

Would it not be best to have the Camera Power connected to a Power Supply that is only ON when in reverse? I don't know if the reverse light power is pulsated, but I suppose it is. A capacitor and a relay on the Reverse supply, then any other hot would work in that case. If not, then a HOT WHEN ON would suffice.

AND, the only connection up front is to plug the FAKRA into an empty socket up inside the dash, back-side of the TSM??? Difficult to reach? Any hints as to how to get there???

I have a fairly decent (and yet cheap) camera that will bolt perfectly to the underside of the boot lid, right above but off-center to the license plate, looks fit great into the already-there hole, and will aim exactly where it should. It will be barely noticeable, and look like it belongs there (as long as there is nothing inside that hole {which totally looks like a camera mounting hole} which interferes, and I'm still waiting {and waiting} for my R-S spoiler to arrive before I start tearing stuff apart).
My camera has RCA, but I've made hundreds of cables so that's no problem.

Did I miss anything?
I just don't want to be a goober and bugger stuff up when I do all this.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The camera needs to be powered up all the time, not just when in reverse, because the picture stays on the screen when you shift from reverse to drive, the picture only goes off when you get above a certain speed or touch the screen.

The video input to the screen is the only connection "at the front", you will need an adaptor cable that goes from RCA to Fakra. You need to release the whole screen and radio assembly to reach it, you also need to remove the side of the centre console to run the cable. To do that you need to remove the veneer around the shifter.

Cee Jay (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Actually the camera must have continuous supply and is best connected to the infotainment system on fuse 14. Cambo and I checked and there is nothing suitable for this purpose in the hatch lid. The junction panel is located behind the center panel of the rear seat. Fit your fingers on either side of top of the panel and pull forward slightly to release it then lift the panel upward to reveal the junction box. You have to run the camera coax that way anyway so it’s not any more difficult to have a supply as well. The only connection I used in the boot was a ground.

For the TSD connection you must remove the trim around the control panel, start at the bottom
above the ashtray and gently pull away with your fingers. There are about 4 torx that must be removed and then the entire assembly will pull out towards you. I’d advise placing a thick towel on the console to protect from scratches and damage, for the 4.2 cars, move
the gear selector all the way down to drive to get it out of the way.

On the backside of the TSD there are 3 color coded Fakra plugs, the one you want is brown.

Last edited by jahummer; 03-19-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Cee Jay (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

........ and now I know.
Thanks, guys.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
.................. and I'm still waiting {and waiting} for my R-S spoiler to arrive before I start tearing stuff apart)................
WHAT was I THINKING????? I ordered that spoiler from Mina! It'll probably be October before it ships.
Guess I go out and start working on this camera stuff now......

Old 03-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

jahummer, quick question. How much of the headliner did you need to pull down? I haven't dropped o in an XK.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
jahummer, quick question. How much of the headliner did you need to pull down? I haven't dropped o in an XK.
Not much. AS you've probably noted, the 2 boot lid harnesses are about midway. I fed the fish from the lid first, then through the rubber and into the roof twisting and guiding until it dropped out the left side of the rear most trim cover and into the boot. If you are not that lucky, you may have to remove that panel. It's ABS plastic, wrapped in fabric and clipped in place.

Sean W (03-20-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
here are some pics to show what had to be done to fish wires down. I removed screw out of clothes hanger/hook then popped down one fastener on the piece covering the back Pilar. Used a plastic pry bar to hold it open and fished by hand the wire down. The hardest part was getting the wire through the rubber boot, like Jahummer mentioned before some lube is a must and something firm to use as a leader to get thru the rubber boot, I used a piece of romex wire lubed with dish soap.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 03-21-2018 at 02:15 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
hafren (03-21-2018), jahummer (03-21-2018), Sean W (03-21-2018), sweetsparkette (06-02-2023), u102768 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

I've had all the pieces/parts/connectors for this camera deal about a week now, but I'm STILL waiting on my R-S spoiler from Mina. I don't want to take the boot lid apart more than once.
wait-wait-wait-wait-wait---------

TexasTraveler (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

+1 I'm still waiting on my Fakra cable, should have paid for the expedited shipping... However I did find an indy shop in Dallas area that says they are willing to see if they can turn on feature, so hopefully they can do it..

Cee Jay (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

I've had all the pieces/parts/connectors for this camera deal about a week now, but I'm STILL waiting on my R-S spoiler from Mina. I don't want to take the boot lid apart more than once.
wait-wait-wait-wait-wait---------
The two projects really only share one common part that must be removed and that part does not have to be re fitted until everything is done...the carpeted boot liner.

Cee Jay (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
The two projects really only share one common part that must be removed and that part does not have to be re fitted until everything is done...the carpeted boot liner.
Whelp, I guess I may as well start tearing stuff apart then. I've already had the liner off when I put a strobe on the CHMSL, a couple clips and Bob's your Uncle.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Fakra cable came in last week and I got it installed. I let an Indy shop have a go at it Friday, and it was a no go... Either they didn't have a full version of SDD or they simple didn't know enough about it to figure it out... I have now spoke with a tech at local Jag dealer who has scheduled an appt. for Wednesday afternoon and said he will give it a try, so fingers crossed.

Cee Jay (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

I just made my appointment for tomorrow afternoon at the local (50 miles) Jag dealer for a new Smart Key and the camera activation. I finished the camera install on Easter.
STILL WAITING for my R-S spoiler from Mina Galleries. Not even shipped yet, it's been a month so far. I seriously doubt I'll ever order from there again.

TexasTraveler (04-02-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Bummer that the dealer is so far away. My Jaguar dealer is literally 2 miles from my house. However, I have yet to go there. I hope that trend continues.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

I've been at Ken Garff Jaguar for about an hour now, car has been "in the back" for 50+ minutes. One guy came and talked to me, something about "not an oem camera, don't know how it's hooked up". I said to just change it from Disabled to Enabled in Enhanced SDD, so he said he'd give it a shot. That was 30 minutes ago. Course, the Smart Key is still a part of all this. Soon, hopefully, the traffic home is about to be MISERABLE.

TexasTraveler (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Man, I suck.
Well, at least I got a new Smart Key for $500.
The guy who worked my car said he couldn't find the Camera Enable location, said he'd never heard of "Enhanced SDD". Well, no wonder then. So a big FAIL on the Rear Camera.
THEN, I go to pull out and the DYNAMIC SYSTEM FAULT and the E-DIFF NOT AVAILABLE warnings start flashing in my face. First time EVER.
I pull back into the garage and say WTF or something to that end.
Dude pulls it to the shop again and comes back with FIVE PAGES of faults. Not kidding. Says he creates some faults when SDD is used, so whatever on THAT.
THEN says $390 bucks and I'll replace your battery, cuz that may be the problem.
WTF again??? I got a new one three years ago and have a CTEK. PLUS, why would that happen RIGHT WHEN I GET TO THE DEALER???!!!??? (<- modified interrobang)
Anyway, said it very well may be low voltage, but EVERYONE knows that. But, why NOW?
Blah-blah-this-and-blah-blah-that.... dude says change the battery, clear the faults, do a hard reset and see what happens.
Well, REGARDLESS of what happens I will NEVER bring it to KEN GARFF "JAGUAR DOWNTOWN SALT LAKE CITY" again in my life.
No camera and a broken car.
GEE, THANKS.
</rant>
So anyway, which of yous guyses' who know what's going on can give me a Step-By-Step procedure for enabling the camera??? I'll find a guy with SDD somewhere in my life... maybe I'll hit Vegas and check them out.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 04-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like they had no idea how to use SDD. Modifications to the build data have to be done through SDD in the CCF (car configuration file). It's a step by step prompted routine and the line item is park assist camera fitted or not fitted. They probably did not use SDD correctly and didn't let it finish or they didn't allow SDD to do the standard clear and scan for faults. You might be able to hard boot the car via a battery disconnect and drive around a bit.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Man, I suck.
Well, at least I got a new Smart Key for $500.
The guy who worked my car said he couldn't find the Camera Enable location, said he'd never heard of "Enhanced SDD". Well, no wonder then. So a big FAIL on the Rear Camera.
THEN, I go to pull out and the DYNAMIC SYSTEM FAULT and the E-DIFF NOT AVAILABLE warnings start flashing in my face. First time EVER.
I pull back into the garage and say WTF or something to that end.
Dude pulls it to the shop again and comes back with FIVE PAGES of faults. Not kidding. Says he creates some faults when SDD is used, so whatever on THAT.
THEN says $390 bucks and I'll replace your battery, cuz that may be the problem.
WTF again??? I got a new one three years ago and have a CTEK. PLUS, why would that happen RIGHT WHEN I GET TO THE DEALER???!!!??? (<- modified interrobang)
Anyway, said it very well may be low voltage, but EVERYONE knows that. But, why NOW?
Blah-blah-this-and-blah-blah-that.... dude says change the battery, clear the faults, do a hard reset and see what happens.
Well, REGARDLESS of what happens I will NEVER bring it to KEN GARFF "JAGUAR DOWNTOWN SALT LAKE CITY" again in my life.
No camera and a broken car.
GEE, THANKS.
</rant>
So anyway, which of yous guyses' who know what's going on can give me a Step-By-Step procedure for enabling the camera??? I'll find a guy with SDD somewhere in my life... maybe I'll hit Vegas and check them out.

Cee Jay (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

I've been at Ken Garff Jaguar for about an hour now, car has been "in the back" for 50+ minutes. One guy came and talked to me, something about "not an oem camera, don't know how it's hooked up". I said to just change it from Disabled to Enabled in Enhanced SDD, so he said he'd give it a shot. That was 30 minutes ago. Course, the Smart Key is still a part of all this. Soon, hopefully, the traffic home is about to be MISERABLE.
It is a composite video source, regardless of whether an OEM camera or not, the only feature that requires the OEM camera but is not relevant to any of these cars prior to 2012 is the LIN network for the guidelines.

Do you already have one fitted, connected to the brown jack on the rear of the TSD and proper power connections made?

Quick Reply: Reverse camera, iPod & USB added to 2008 XKR