XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sewing Machine Under The Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Sewing Machine Under The Hood

I just did my first DIY oil change. Bought a Harbor Freight oil extractor and it went like clock work! So easy, though I'll be running this change short at <7K because didn't have access to Jag spec oil. Will hit a dealer next time I'm near for 8qts of Castrol.

Prior to buttoning everything up, I did a start test to make sure all was fine and the oil level was ok in the end. I found that with the beutification cover off the engine is producing a "sewing machine" sound. It is very loud minus the cover but not so much when it is on.

Obviously, I'm concerned, as that type of sound is really out of the ordinary and an indication of a problem.

I'm thinking it might be an idler pulley bearing or a chain tensioner as it changes pitch and speed with the engine. I couldn't dig into it more as I was already late for a paint shop appointment get a couple touch up spots.

I expect it back in less than a week but was wondering if anyone else had experienced that sound on the 5L non-SC and knew what it might be? BTW I noticed the sound was there prior to the oil change as well.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

My old Lincoln LS's 3.9l Jag sounded exactly like a sewing machine above 6500 rpm. Kind of goofy sounding.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Before my water pump gave out, I had a terrible rattling sound which we were sure came from the Supercharger, but turned out to disappear after changing out the water pump, which was rattling badly.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Me thinks wrong oil, both prior and now.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Could just be VVT noise that the new owner is not used to hearing with the hood open and engine cover removed. Also might be the DI noise.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I plan to pick up a stethescope this week to try to isolate (left/right/front/back, ect).
Like Q&C the oil issue is alarming. I don't know what the PO had in it and though the dealership assured me that it had been properly serviced prior to purchsase. A Car Fax check showed little actual Jaguar records which should have set off alarm bells on my part.
If it is oil related it should make for a good forum thread to warn others to be careful of oil service.
My first thoughts went to idlers, tensioners, water pump, etc. VVT and DI should be very easy to determine with the scope I would hope.
I'll have to try to find a schematic breakdown on the engine to try to visualize what might be going on inside though.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Thanks for your thoughts. I plan to pick up a stethescope this week to try to isolate (left/right/front/back, ect).
Like Q&C the oil issue is alarming. I don't know what the PO had in it and though the dealership assured me that it had been properly serviced prior to purchsase. A Car Fax check showed little actual Jaguar records which should have set off alarm bells on my part.
If it is oil related it should make for a good forum thread to warn others to be careful of oil service.
My first thoughts went to idlers, tensioners, water pump, etc. VVT and DI should be very easy to determine with the scope I would hope.
I'll have to try to find a schematic breakdown on the engine to try to visualize what might be going on inside though.
Don't over think this . Talk to a dealer service manager and maybe their top service tech. This may or may not be a problem. As we know there are others on the form who use oil other then the dealer type and we don't know if this is an issue.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

... I found that with the beutification cover off the engine is producing a "sewing machine" sound. It is very loud minus the cover but not so much when it is on.
Why don't you post an audio clip - here or on Youtube. I have had six V8 Jags and all of them made noise that I could characterize as "sewing machine". Without hearing the sound I would be hesitant to say it is a problem.

As Jagtoes suggests, "Don't overthink this".

Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Sewing machine noise is likely to be fuel injection noise. Cars with direct fuel injection (post '10 Jaguar XK/XKR) have noisy injectors. The motor cover is designed to abate/lessen this injector noise. All cars with direct fuel injection have audible injector noise.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Yup, agree with everyone so far. At this point it could be anything and I'll try to post an audio clip when it comes back from paint touch up. Short of anyone else experiencing the exact same thing, more data is needed to troubleshoot with any accuracy. Maybe that is what should be asked, has anyone else ever heard something similar with their own AJ V8 Gen iii? With the cover removed it is very noticable.

It runs smoothly and my incination leans toward it may be a characteristic and not unusual at all. The beatification cover is heavily insulated and the sound is hard to hear with it on. That said though, as are most of us, I'm not used to hearing this type of sound from a smooth running engine.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It runs smoothly and my incination leans toward it may be a characteristic and not unusual at all. The beatification (sic) cover is heavily insulated and the sound is hard to hear with it on.
That's the sole reason engines have these covers, or alternatively under hood insulation blankets. Nothing to do with either beauty or 'beatification'.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hey hey now.....I know I need a spell check button! lol

Old 07-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, she is back from the paint shop so I've attached an audio clip of the sound. This is with the engine cover removed.

I used a scope on it and found that it is loudest on the fuel rail so it appears it is the injectors that I'm hearing. I think I worry too much and need to just enjoy the car!

I will be changing oil again as discussed though. I found a dealership in Memphis that sold me enough for the next two changes. I found it funny how the prices within the state of TN were so widely different. From $9.95/qt to almost $14.00 at dealers in Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga.

Thanks to everyone who engaged in helping me with my needless worry.

Attached Files
Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

It doesnt sound right to me, and it doesnt sound wrong either.
You nailed it that it sounds like a singer.
How did you record that sound and at what location, I will try to replicate it although I have a different car.

Where did you find it for $10 a quart- I understand if you want to guard your well.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

I used my cell held at about 3" above the intake at the front of the engine. The fuel rail crossover is right there so when I put my scope on it the sound really popped up......almost too loud to stand, even with my bad hearing.

I got it at Bluff City Jaguar. Parts man said they had just got a shippment in but it totalled only about 4 cases. That was last weekend. He told me they have a hard time getting 0w-20 in consistantly. That is why I decided to get two changes worth.