XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Storage tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Storage tips and tricks

Any suggestions on best ways to store necessary items? What do you carry and where do you put it?

Thanks,

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Tandemcha
Any suggestions on best ways to store necessary items? What do you carry and where do you put it?

Thanks,
I guess it depends on what you want to do. Also do you have a coupe or a convertible. We did a 4 day trip this past summer where I had a set of golf clubs in the trunk and 2 bags of gifts. We put the carry on in the rear seat along with a small cooler. The other option was to remove the spare tire and store other items in that area. The extra space under the top was not uses as we wanted to go topless during the trip.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupe for me. Thinking about more daily and emergency type items than full-on road trip. Saw one photo on the forum with a tie-down strap, just wondering what others might have come up with.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I recall reading a thread on this Forum a while ago about reasonably priced custom soft-sided luggage for convertibles, but don't remember if it was also made for coupes. I'm replying from my smartphone, otherwise I'd do the search and post the link.

Stuart

Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tandemcha
Coupe for me. Thinking about more daily and emergency type items than full-on road trip. Saw one photo on the forum with a tie-down strap, just wondering what others might have come up with.
OK I guess I don't know what you would consider necessary daily items. When I use the car locally during the week the only thing I carry is the spare tire and factory tool kit along with a microfiber cloth.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

As for stuff I carry around daily, I keep a small soft-sided bag in the trunk with a digital tire pressure gauge, a spray can of Invisible Glass window cleaner, a bottle of Meguire's Cleaner Wax for emergencies, a plastic spray bottle full of water, microfiber towels, and a couple of bungee cords. I also have a compact spare with the complete tool kit and jack, 12v air compressor, and torque wrench under the trunk floor. I still have the small bottle of Jaguar leather cleaner that came from the factory strapped to the left side of the trunk. Used once, saved for emergencies.

In my glove box I keep a small LED flashlight, a spare CR2032 battery for my smartkey fob, and my Owner's Handbook, etc., with my registration and insurance card. I leave my iPod under the armrest and disconnect it when not in use. I leave my wind deflector installed in the car and fold it down when I put the top up. I keep my sunshade on the back seat when not in use.

What else does one need to leave in the car and carry around daily?

My LCP stays in my pocket with my GCP.

Stuart

Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

In addition to what Stuart stated above, I have a small 12v 100 PSI air compressor, with tire plugging materials just in case I get a flat tire or low tire. Gives me peace of mind. Although I have a "donut" spare, I like to have the air compressor handy if caught out on the road in case of a tire emergency.

12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Wow you guys sound like you are living in the middle of Alaska or the outback. LOL I guess the only thing I need is a cell phone to call my friend with the flatbed if pray tell I need it. I live in a small town of 10,000 and in a 5 acre area. We are surrounded by small towns of similar size and the nearest fair size city is 15 miles away. I haven't had a flat tire in at least 45 years and if I break down I'll just get it towed. By the way the last time I got a tow was around 1968 I think when I blew the clutch on my Corvette. Funny thing is the stuff you are listing was similar to what my father kept in his 53 Ford when we traveled 40 miles to my grandparents house. Oh he needed 2 quarts of oil for the round trip , lol. Thanks for the memories.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The cargo net is a $10 zippered thing I got from Target a long time ago. It stretched out and fit the spare wheel cover perfectly.

The plastic angles have Velcro on the bottoms and came with my SUV. I used them to make use of the shelf above the battery for my paperwork, and to keep bottles that need to stay upright in the corners near the tail lights.

And... What's that silver plate? Is that my third-place trophy prominently displayed for the photo? How'd that get in there?!?!

Attached Thumbnails Storage tips and tricks-image-3678036109.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
In addition to what Stuart stated above, I have a small 12v 100 PSI air compressor, with tire plugging materials just in case I get a flat tire or low tire. Gives me peace of mind. Although I have a "donut" spare, I like to have the air compressor handy if caught out on the road in case of a tire emergency.

12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor
Richard,

I thought your XKR Portfolio came from the factory with a 12 volt air compressor since it has Alcon brakes. Did the previous owner keep it?

Stuart

Old 12-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

I thought your XKR Portfolio came from the factory with a 12 volt air compressor since it has Alcon brakes. Did the previous owner keep it?

Stuart
It had some kind of inflator. Didn't like it and replaced it with the HF compressor provided in the link above. Also carry one in my ATV when out in the desert. They work great, and I feel more secure with an item I know how to operate.

Just peace of mind, and the price was cheap. I am poor and have no money, so I have to find stuff that is cheap, easy to understand the operation. This one just plugs into a cigarette light switch.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

... I am poor and have no money ...
Richard,

Thanks for the good laugh! What's in your garage and on the way? That's hilarious! Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, but still funny.

On second thought, I think I should have spelled it Hillaryous because she, too, claimed to be poor when she left office, notwithstanding her pending book deal and government benefits. I guess it all depends on how you define "poor". Lesson learned from Bill.

Stuart

Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toothbrush and credit card.....

Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Now, now, lets give Rich some slack.

Being poor and driving a Jag gets you very little sympathy in this world of ours... It's kind of like a person complaining about being morbidly obese after being a glutton all their life...

Enjoy your Jags, my fellow poor *******s!

Lol. I love this forum.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
The cargo net is a $10 zippered thing I got from Target a long time ago. It stretched out and fit the spare wheel cover perfectly.

The plastic angles have Velcro on the bottoms and came with my SUV. I used them to make use of the shelf above the battery for my paperwork, and to keep bottles that need to stay upright in the corners near the tail lights.

And... What's that silver plate? Is that my third-place trophy prominently displayed for the photo? How'd that get in there?!?!
Nicely done!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

If your looking for some great storage for the trunk as shown above, also consider:

eBags packing cubes. We use these for travel and packing within our suitcases. They are awesome, and cheap.

Check this out, perfect the Jag XK/XKR convertible.

eBags Value Set: Packing Cubes + Slim Packing Cubes - eBags.com

Spend a minute or 2 to watch the video on the page in the link provided. This may just be one of the best suggestions you got for storage and travel organization.

Last edited by richzak; 12-18-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

If your looking for some great storage for the trunk as shown above, also consider:

eBags packing cubes. We use these for travel and packing within our suitcases. They are awesome, and cheap.

Check this out, perfect the Jag XK/XKR convertible.

eBags Value Set: Packing Cubes + Slim Packing Cubes - eBags.com

Spend a minute or 2 to watch the video on the page in the link provided. This may just be one of the best suggestions you got for storage and travel organization.

Pretty good Rich but I didn't see one for my golf clubs , lol.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I get chided for being 'old fashioned', but I insist that ALL my family and loved ones have at least a dozen flares in the their cars. With the Jag it is extremely easy to put them under the trunk flap (in the coupe anyway). Buy the long ones, and show your family how to light them (any concrete/asphalt surface outside gives you the stage), how to place them in case of breakdown or accident, and where to stand when your car is stopped in a dangerous spot, like around a turn on a dark stretch of freeway...

Saved my bacon more than once and I've come to the aid of several poor souls who would have either been hit or caused a major chain reaction cluster f*ck of danger had the flares not been deployed.

Not a big fan of LED/reflective triangle type solutions. In sever situations, nothing, NOTHING is more effective than a traditional flare. You will be shocked how many will fail when it comes time to use them, so buy more than you'd think you need. And the burn time is also surprisingly short, so try and find quality flares that are double-length.

They cost virtually nothing (even the good ones), and for some reason seem to have fallen off common use or awareness. Younger drivers really are surprised and then excited to see how easily they light. And they burn under water... A very good value for the small cost and potential life and property savings.

Skeeter