XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touch Screen

Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Touch Screen

The Touch Screen on my 2013my XK is so dim at times to be virtually useless. I have done a search on the Forum but have not found anything similar.
I keep the Auto dim setting to OFF, anyone else come across this problem?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

This could be a battery related issue. When the battery voltage is low, it causes all sorts of bizarre gremlins. One that I have noticed is that the screens seem to lose the ability to react to light levels. However, for me, usually this means the screens are on full bright, not very dim.

The following users liked this post:
BillyD (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Funny you should raise this issue. I took my XK out of its winter sleep yesterday for a drive. I couldn't even see the screen well enough to change radio stations. I meant to look into this when I returned home, but forgot about it until I saw your post. It wasn't battery related in my case as I had just previously removed the battery tender, which showed full charge. I will be interested to hear if there's a fix for this.

BillyD (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Weird. This is a newer car and your problem should be fixed. Take it to the dealership and demand a full diagnostics!!

Last edited by Lothar52; 02-24-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Deleted my confusing rant on electronics....
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Huh?

Lothar52 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Is the TSD (touch screen display) always dim, or does it vary? If it is always dim, the TSD backlight may have failed, though that would usual mean no backlighting at all (i.e. a screen that is completely unreadable in darkness). It's possible that the software controlling the backlight has become corrupted. It's definitely not normal, anyway.

I have occasionally found the TSD a bit dim, and have adjusted it to a brighter setting - I'm starting to suspect it jumps back to the dimmer setting after a while.

BillyD (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Is the TSD (touch screen display) always dim, or does it vary? If it is always dim, the TSD backlight may have failed, though that would usual mean no backlighting at all (i.e. a screen that is completely unreadable in darkness). It's possible that the software controlling the backlight has become corrupted. It's definitely not normal, anyway.

I have occasionally found the TSD a bit dim, and have adjusted it to a brighter setting - I'm starting to suspect it jumps back to the dimmer setting after a while.
The TSD is NOT always dim, it does vary.
Just popped out to the garage to check and it appears to be normal, although I would prefer it to be slightly brighter, increasing the brill/cont only gives it a"washed out" appearance. This was not the case earlier when I moved the car out of the garage to check tyre pressures, at that time it was very dim. Thats what prompted me to post my original query.
I will try to see if there is a pattern to when it varies over the next couple of days.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
This could be a battery related issue. When the battery voltage is low, it causes all sorts of bizarre gremlins. One that I have noticed is that the screens seem to lose the ability to react to light levels. However, for me, usually this means the screens are on full bright, not very dim.
At the time of posting I know the battery was showing full charge.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Default Touch screen display update

After receiving advice from my local Jaguar Main Dealer in N. Ireland I disconnected/reconnected the battery and carried out the necessary resets to the windows and EHB etc.

The display does now seem to be working correctly and will watch for any change over the next few days.

Also a word of warning to UK members with the Jaguar Tracker fitted, disconnecting the battery will cause an alarm to be raised with the subscription service as I found out too late.

Many thanks to all the members who took an interest in my problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by BillyD:
CleverName (02-25-2014), Ngarara (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I guess I should have thought of doing a hard reset - sorry.

As an FYI - if you're advised to disconnect the battery to reset a suspect module, it's worth taking out & replacing the fuse for that module first. If that solves the problem, it saves you all the window/handbrake/ECM messing about (unless it's one of those that needs resetting, of course).

If it does it again, the fuse you want is Fuse 14 (10A, red) in the rear fuse box between the back seats, which feeds the touch screen.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
BillyD (02-25-2014), LoudHogRider (05-31-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Default Update to Touch Screen Display problem

Originally Posted by BillyD
The display does now seem to be working correctly and will watch for any change over the next few days.
(Quote from Feb 2014)
The TSD did work reasonably for a while, but over the following months since early 2014 it started to give the same problem as before, ie, virtually unreadable in daylight.
This came to head recently and as I was unable to rectify the problem myself, even using Ngarara’s tip of pulling fuse14 in the rear fuse box, I managed to get the car booked in to my local dealer on Friday 22nd May past for investigation.
After around three hours testing the module in question, they reported back that their diagnostics found nothing wrong, (the TSD in the light of a workshop would probably look reasonable) but were prepared to request technical assistance direct from Jaguar.
As an afterthought I asked if they had tested the battery. (All forum members know about the pitfalls with a dodgy battery) They agreed to take the car back to the workshop and run tests on their £2000 rig. The results were surprising. Voltage=12.26, SOC (State of charge)= 70%!!!
I pointed out that the car was kept on a Jaguar recommended charger, CTEK, at all times when not in use, indeed before leaving from home to travel to the dealer, 15 miles, the charge showed FULL.
They further agreed to charge the battery on their rig, it took around three hours to come up to SOC 100% at 13.21V.
The effect on the TSD was immediate, showing an improvement, but not cured completely, this was achieved by setting the Brilliance to MAX and the Contrast to Midway.
Update to follow later.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The other day I was adjusting the contrast and just for fun I switched from auto to manual. The screen went dimmer so I switched back to auto. The brightness is good for me. Try it on auto and see what you get.

BillyD (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The other day I was adjusting the contrast and just for fun I switched from auto to manual. The screen went dimmer so I switched back to auto. The brightness is good for me. Try it on auto and see what you get.
Jagtoes
If only it was that easy!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I guess I should have thought of doing a hard reset - sorry.

As an FYI - if you're advised to disconnect the battery to reset a suspect module, it's worth taking out & replacing the fuse for that module first. If that solves the problem, it saves you all the window/handbrake/ECM messing about (unless it's one of those that needs resetting, of course).

If it does it again, the fuse you want is Fuse 14 (10A, red) in the rear fuse box between the back seats, which feeds the touch screen.
^^^ This. My screen was displaying the Jaguar logo only at start-up last night. Hooked a charger up to the battery overnight, and had the same symptoms this morning. Pulled the back seat cover, pulled & replaced the fuses, and voila - problem gone.

I guess I'm in the market for a new battery, though.