XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Trickle charge for 2013 Jag XKR coupe

Old 09-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle charge for 2013 Jag XKR coupe

Owner's manual says not to use charger on car. Would you connect the Charger to the terminal and bolt by the spare or would you connect it directly to the two battery terminals behind the cover in the trunk?

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Worth reading this.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

With the 2010-2015 MY cars you can either use the positive post behind the left plastic grill in the boot and the ground stud in the spare tire area or you can attach the positive lead directly to the battery but you must NOT attach the negative terminal . It should go to a chassis ground near the battery. The 2010-2015 cars have a battery monitoring module attached to the negative battery terminal. You should only hook up down stream from this module. Happy motoring

The following users liked this post:
JonWat (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I have owned my car for 18 months and it has never been on any kind of charger, ever. If the battery is in good shape and the alternator works then there is no need. Using a battery charger on a weak and failing battery is like putting lipstick on a pig. Just about everyone on this site says to use a C-Tek ? charger, it cures all kinds of aliments apparently and that the electronics on Jaguars are somehow different to all other cars ever made and need constant charging, when really all they need is a decent battery. If you are storing your car over winter and live up North then maybe one is required but I have left my car for more than three months and it starts right up with no issues. Just crank the thing up every month or two months and let the fluids (oil) get up to temperature and all will be well. My 10 cents.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
I have owned my car for 18 months and it has never been on any kind of charger, ever. If the battery is in good shape and the alternator works then there is no need. Using a battery charger on a weak and failing battery is like putting lipstick on a pig. Just about everyone on this site says to use a C-Tek ? charger, it cures all kinds of aliments apparently and that the electronics on Jaguars are somehow different to all other cars ever made and need constant charging, when really all they need is a decent battery. If you are storing your car over winter and live up North then maybe one is required but I have left my car for more than three months and it starts right up with no issues. Just crank the thing up every month or two months and let the fluids (oil) get up to temperature and all will be well. My 10 cents.
It seems that you live a blessed life. Here are some facts: many of these cars are not used on a daily basis and/or are used for short runs. The result of this use/lack of use is inevitably over time a drop in the voltage that the battery (yes, even a new battery) can supply, despite the car having a perfectly functioning alternator - and when the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold there WILL be issues. The car will always start (unless the battery is near death) - that is not in question. But what WILL happen is that certain modules will not operate properly and random symptoms will appear, ranging from odd warning lights, to the convertible top not functioning properly, the touch screen misbehaving, the windows not dropping to allow opening the door, exterior lights flashing...the list is long and varied. This is not a "Jaguar issue" . Every luxury manufacturer (Bentley, Maserati, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Aston Martin...) has marketed through their dealers the CTEK battery maintainer (not charger) with their own name on the unit. They all do this for the same reason -the reason I have just stated above.
Use of the CTEK (or similar) maintainer eliminates any and all of these problems. It takes no more than a few seconds to connect and disconnect the maintainer but the result of using it is zero electronic issues caused by low voltage, and a greatly increased length of battery life. If you do not believe this, stop by a dealership, any dealership, of a luxury make. Chances are that you will find the showroom cars plugged in to battery maintainers discretely placed under the cars. Modern cars are voracious consumers of electricity.

Last edited by sov211; 09-05-2018 at 10:36 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by sov211:
britannia (09-05-2018), JonWat (09-06-2018), Mikey (09-05-2018), Popbumper (09-11-2018), sharx8 (09-06-2018), Stuart S (09-05-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The battery on my XK had two additional posts I used to connect the dongle for a CTEK. Worked like a charm. You'd be crazy to let any of these British cars sit over 2 weeks without a charger IMO.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Well said by sov211.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211

It seems that you live a blessed life. Here are some facts: many of these cars are not used on a daily basis and/or are used for short runs. The result of this use/lack of use is inevitably over time a drop in the voltage that the battery (yes, even a new battery) can supply, despite the car having a perfectly functioning alternator - and when the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold there WILL be issues. The car will always start (unless the battery is near death) - that is not in question. But what WILL happen is that certain modules will not operate properly and random symptoms will appear, ranging from odd warning lights, to the convertible top not functioning properly, the touch screen misbehaving, the windows not dropping to allow opening the door, exterior lights flashing...the list is long and varied. This is not a "Jaguar issue" . Every luxury manufacturer (Bentley, Maserati, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Aston Martin...) has marketed through their dealers the CTEK battery maintainer (not charger) with their own name on the unit. They all do this for the same reason -the reason I have just stated above.
Use of the CTEK (or similar) maintainer eliminates any and all of these problems. It takes no more than a few seconds to connect and disconnect the maintainer but the result of using it is zero electronic issues caused by low voltage, and a greatly increased length of battery life. If you do not believe this, stop by a dealership, any dealership, of a luxury make. Chances are that you will find the showroom cars plugged in to battery maintainers discretely placed under the cars. Modern cars are voracious consumers of electricity.
Well put! Just asking for trouble by not having a battery maintainer in use.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

When I first got the XK, I was resistant to the maintainer "hype" because logically thinking, a car driven every day or so doesn't need one. Why do I need it? Well, the first time it sat for a week with the doors unlocked, I started seeing the oddities related to a low battery. Ordered the C-Tek and put it on if the car is going to sit for a few days or more, or when I'm cleaning or doing something where the doors or boot are open for a while. No problems since.

Hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it but I think we all agree Mufc's situation is rare.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
With the 2010-2015 MY cars you can either use the positive post behind the left plastic grill in the boot and the ground stud in the spare tire area or you can attach the positive lead directly to the battery but you must NOT attach the negative terminal . It should go to a chassis ground near the battery. The 2010-2015 cars have a battery monitoring module attached to the negative battery terminal. You should only hook up down stream from this module. Happy motoring
This is correct! However...

I've had my 2010 hooked up to a generic NAPA trickle charger battery maintainer* directly to both terminals for years with no problem. I couldn't get the leads to reach otherwise and said, "screw it." Works great. If anyone has ever had any real problems doing it this way let me know.

*Thanks, Stuart S

Last edited by Muddydog; 09-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

2013 XK coupe no charger on battery. Car owned for 28 month.never a problem.
longest it sat was 31 days, fired right up.22000 miles.
Newer. XK battery problem over hyped.
love the car

Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

For those not familiar with the BMS here is a brief description how it works. FYI http://www.londonroadgarage.com/imag...monitoring.pdf

MarkyUK (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Many people use the words "trickle charger", "battery maintainer", and "battery tender" synonymously, but they're not identical.

A trickle charger is not the same as a battery maintainer. The former is dumb and the latter is smart. Dumb means that it charges slowly at a constant rate and doesn't shut itself off, so it can boil out the electrolyte and destroy the battery. Smart means that it is controlled by computerized circuitry that varies the rate of charge depending on the type and condition of the battery and can shut itself off when fully charged and turn itself back on when needed, so it can't boil out the electrolyte.

"Battery Tender" is the brand name of a line of products that are marketed by Deltran Corporation. I do not recommend them, as my Battery Tender, Jr. (made in China) overheated and melted the plastic case. It was less than 6 months old. Fortunately, it didn't burn down my home. You're playing with fire if you buy a Deltran Battery Tender.

I highly recommend the CTEK brand of battery maintainers, particularly the MUS4.3. It works.

MarkyUK (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by F355c5
XK battery problem over hyped.

Yeah, that's what I used to think. Until I didn't.

Cee Jay (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Yeah, that's what I used to think. Until I didn't.
Pity that you stopped thinking. Now life is bliss!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
... Every luxury manufacturer (Bentley, Maserati, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Aston Martin...) has marketed through their dealers the CTEK battery maintainer (not charger) with their own name on the unit. ... If you do not believe this, stop by a dealership, any dealership, of a luxury make. Chances are that you will find the showroom cars plugged in to battery maintainers discretely placed under the cars. Modern cars are voracious consumers of electricity.
You forgot to mention Koenigsegg!

The newest, latest and greatest CTEK battery charger costs only $1,890,000!

But you also get the Koenigsegg Regera free! What a deal!

MarkyUK (10-06-2018)