XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Well , looks like battery time

 
  #1  
Old 03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Well , looks like battery time

Had to move the cars around today so took the opportunity to take the car for a ride. Ran at 13.5 V for a while but started to drop down to 13 , then 12.7 , then 12.6 and stayed there until I came to a stop. Voltage at idle at a stop went back to 13.5. So I came in and pulled out the previous owners service records and the battery was replaced on 4/24/14. Interesting though I have had no other mysterious gremlins show up. I usually take it to the dealer in April for it's annual oil change and NYS inspection so I'll most likely do the battery too. I just turned 24K so I got about 18K miles and 5 years on this battery. Also it's a OEM Jaguar flood battery so just putting back the same . Gotta get ready for top down weather. Enjoy the ride.
 
  #2  
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM
SLazz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 170
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Yep, looks like time for a new one and then time for a CTEK.
 
  #3  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:09 PM
pwpacp's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,033
Received 334 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

More important you're thinking of being ready for great "top down" fun when it finally rolls around!
 
  #4  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:10 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLazz View Post
Yep, looks like time for a new one and then time for a CTEK.
It's been on the Ctek since I got it. back in 2014
 
  #5  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
SLazz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 170
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
It's been on the Ctek since I got it. back in 2014
Good move.
 
  #6  
Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,081
Received 794 Likes on 510 Posts
Default

I would have thought if the car was running it would just show the alternator voltage. If it wasn't then it sounds like it could be the BMS doing its self calibration routine:

Periodically the BMS module will instigate a self-calibration
routine. To self-calibrate, the BMS first charges
the battery to its full condition.

Once the battery is fully charged, the BMS will discharge
the battery to approximately 75% of its full state
of charge, but never lower than 12.2 V. The time taken to
complete this part of the routine is dependent on the
electrical load on the vehicle and the length of time the
vehicle is used.

When the second part of the routine has been successfully
completed, the BMS will return the battery to its
optimum level of charge. The optimum level of charge
will be between 12.6 V and 15 V, depending on battery
condition, temperature and electrical loading. This process
is run approximately twice a year.

NOTE:
If the vehicle is only driven for short periods the
self-calibration and charging process could take a number
of days to complete.
 
  #7  
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 AM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by u102768 View Post
I would have thought if the car was running it would just show the alternator voltage. If it wasn't then it sounds like it could be the BMS doing its self calibration routine:

Periodically the BMS module will instigate a self-calibration
routine. To self-calibrate, the BMS first charges
the battery to its full condition.

Once the battery is fully charged, the BMS will discharge
the battery to approximately 75% of its full state
of charge, but never lower than 12.2 V. The time taken to
complete this part of the routine is dependent on the
electrical load on the vehicle and the length of time the
vehicle is used.

When the second part of the routine has been successfully
completed, the BMS will return the battery to its
optimum level of charge. The optimum level of charge
will be between 12.6 V and 15 V, depending on battery
condition, temperature and electrical loading. This process
is run approximately twice a year.

NOTE:
If the vehicle is only driven for short periods the
self-calibration and charging process could take a number
of days to complete.
I was thinking the same thing when I read this in the manual but didn't know how long this process takes. I'll get a better feel next month when I drive it to the dealer. This is a 1 1/2 hour drive and will cover ranges from 30 mph to 70 mph. If it's the re-calibration then I should be back at the 13.8 V steady at speed. We'll just have to wait and see but at 5 years maybe it's just worth while having the dealer change it. They usually give me a overall systems check at the time of the oil change so if the battery is down due to age they'll let me know.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
aahmichael
XK / XKR ( X150 )
7
06-21-2012 12:17 PM
Anticitizen
XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 )
12
12-07-2011 06:11 AM
jmcGoBlue
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
59
03-11-2011 04:34 PM
NoPaint
X-Type ( X400 )
10
12-27-2008 09:26 PM
ferret
X-Type ( X400 )
34
10-14-2008 11:08 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well , looks like battery time


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: