XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is the plastic box behind the rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default what is the plastic box behind the rear speakers?

i am installing aftermarket rear speakers in my 07' xkr, and the back of the speakers are hitting that semi-clear plastic box directly behind them. does anyone know what it is and what it does? i'm asking because, if it's not a very crucial component of the car, i'd like to cut into it and give the speaker the clearance that it needs. that will save me having to order the correct spacers and have the back of my car all apart for a few days. any info would be very appreciated!!

Last edited by multistrada74; 05-20-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 PM

this is the what i'm referring to.....

Old 05-21-2016, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You need that! its what makes the speaker a sealed enclosure.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You need that! its what makes the speaker a sealed enclosure.
aaahhhh, ok, tnx. is that its sole purpose , or does it do something else too?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
aaahhhh, ok, tnx. is that its sole purpose , or does it do something else too?
You can buy different baffles on ebay cheap and gut that one. Really it all depends on the driver (speaker)

Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Bighen is right. The sealed volume is very carefully calculated- depending on the driver. Believe it or not it takes some formal education in the mater. If you dont know where the engine is in the car, the odds of doing a successful engine swap become somewhat diminished.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
this is the what i'm referring to.....

So Multistrada, what did you decide to do with your setup? I saw your other thread and was following with interest. I too have the mid range woofer hidden under the footwell.

The first time my wife rode in the car, she asked me if there was something wrong with the "stereo".

I've lost too much hearing to focus on high end solutions. I don't want a 10" subwoofer but feeling base is still important to me. (again, hearing loss)

$500> improvements are wasted on these deaf ears, but I have to believe there are low end cost door speakers that could improve the sound. I want to crank up the noise without frightening the neighbors.

I reached out to another member who installed some new door speakers and tweeters with crossovers but he didn't have the center speaker or amp. He said that alone made a world of difference and roughly two sets for $200. JBL GX-600C speakers

I'll probably follow his lead, but would like to solution the mid range woofer without installing a different amp.

For you audio experts out there, why do you suppose the mid range woofer was sealed behind a panel next to the amplifier? Is it located there as an afterthought? Is the panel to suppress road noise? Could slotting the panel allow for some semblance of bass to come through?

I don't need all base, just more base. Clearly not an audiophile but appreciate you all tolerating my ignorance.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
For you audio experts out there, why do you suppose the mid range woofer was sealed behind a panel next to the amplifier? Is it located there as an afterthought? Is the panel to suppress road noise? Could slotting the panel allow for some semblance of bass to come through?

I don't need all base, just more base. Clearly not an audiophile but appreciate you all tolerating my ignorance.
You dont have to be an audiophile or spend tons of money, you have a friend in the business and would be my pleasure to help.

The reason it's sealed is because the sound that comes from the back of the driver is deleterious. Most manufacturers dont take this much care. It shows that Jaguar meant well but the 'committee' got it wrong.

Here is the good news, we supply the best of the best and do the R&D. We can solve this for jaguar. Don't settle for one size fits all aftermarket drivers.

If someone can send is their driver we can recommend a proper solution at much less money than gimicky aftermarket stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-25-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default mystery box

There is the rear quarter window motor that is nested in the box..I am in the process removing the motor itself since my window regulator is not working correctly ..

Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sean W.,

(Not an audio expert, just a bit of a fan(atic)). Multistrada74 has just done what you're considering and can provide recent first hand perspective on switching out speakers. That speaker next to the amp in the passenger-side footwell is a small subwoofer intended to fire into the cabin without talking up too much room. Slotting it may give you a bit more volume as the driver needs to push air. You might try to see whether a sturdy grill would work. Whatever you do, enjoy it; it's worth it.

Last edited by bart_redline99; 05-23-2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I misinterpreted the question..
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-25-2016)