XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What your car's color says about you...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default What your car's color says about you...

Did your choice line up with this assessment?

What Does Your Car Color Say About You? - iVillage

Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree... Except with the info regarding pearl colour

Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Mine says "Goth!!!" - guilty as charged...

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

We do have a black XF and a Cashmere XJL. I much prefer the Cashmere. I had my XJL parked next to a black XJL and the black car simply did not show nearly as well from a distance of 50 feet or more. I think that is because black colors simply swallow light instead of reflecting them, like lighter colors do.

Body design details tend to vanish in the black when viewed from a distance more than a few feet. Black needs lots of contrasting trim (chrome, etc) to re-emphasize those design details, otherwise an all blacked out car looks like a glob of black swallowing the all important design details.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 10-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think black actually reflects much better than lighter cars. Black has a much more mirror-like quality, and any reflections are more highly contrasted against the black paint.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think black actually reflects much better than lighter cars. Black has a much more mirror-like quality, and any reflections are more highly contrasted against the black paint.
It does have more of a mirror-like quality, I agree. But, look at a black vs. a white car from, say, across the street. On a white car you will see all body details, creases, sheet-metal bends and lines, etc. while on the black car you will not. I think it is more like the various levels of shadows, caused by the angles and creases do not show on the black, visually reducing or eliminating the full design features. That is what I meant.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 10-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I am usually a blue car buyer, but the XK is seafrost green. Was close a blue XK, but the seafrost was just in too nice condition to pass up.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My car is silver, because I bought it used. If I had a choice, I would have been torn between silver, BRG, whatever color H20Boy's is and (do I dare say it?) Seafrost.

I think Seafrost really brings out the shape, angles, creases and surfaces of an X350, and I think that is at least as important as whether or not it is your favorite color.

Last edited by RCG; 11-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I got mine in liquid silver which was what I really wanted. That or red, which I normally wouldnt buy but I reckon looks awesome in the XK. I love black, but agree with axr6. My last XF was black, looked a million bucks but you couldnt really see the shape as well as you can with lighter colours. But I would have had a black XKR, I would have taken pretty much any colour.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
It does have more of a mirror-like quality, I agree. But, look at a black vs. a white car from, say, across the street. On a white car you will see all body details, creases, sheet-metal bends and lines, etc. while on the black car you will not. I think it is more like the various levels of shadows, caused by the angles and creases do not show on the black, visually reducing or eliminating the full design features. That is what I meant.

Albert

To me, the white XKR above is the one hiding all of the features. It looks like a flat slab, whereas the black one looks curvaceous and shows lots of depth.

Attached Thumbnails What your car's color says about you...-jaguar-xkr-s-convertible-2013-white-images-1024x576.jpg   What your car's color says about you...-jaguar_xkr_cabriolet_-x150-_%25e2%2580%2593_frontansicht-_10._mai_2013-_d%25c3%25bcsseldorf.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to see the object, not a photograph.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

The article's position that dark blue is authoritative, is indeed correct.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

To me, the white XKR above is the one hiding all of the features. It looks like a flat slab, whereas the black one looks curvaceous and shows lots of depth.
Wrong perspective. The white car is exposed to direct sunshine from the side with no chance for any shadows to form off the detail work. The black car is pictured in a close up, a perspective that works for black. Distance that kill the details on black.

I developed this theory about the black vs. light colors in the Gym when, in between exercises, having nothing better to do, simply scanned the room for attractive, shapely ladies. I realized that women must be well aware of the fact that black thighs are great for hiding their shapes and details. When she wears those tight black exercise outfit, you can hardly make out the shapes of her curves or proportions even from a few feet. Same woman changes to a lighter gray or white and you see God's finest creation in all of her glorious curvy details. Same applies when it comes to cars.

Now go to the gym and take some comparative pictures and post them for us

Albert

Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

[IMG]

I totally dig the XK in white and would've bought one if available at the time. The winter gold is pretty hot too.

Attached Thumbnails What your car's color says about you...-15371373-640.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Wrong perspective. The white car is exposed to direct sunshine from the side with no chance for any shadows to form off the detail work. The black car is pictured in a close up, a perspective that works for black. Distance that kill the details on black.

I developed this theory about the black vs. light colors in the Gym when, in between exercises, having nothing better to do, simply scanned the room for attractive, shapely ladies. I realized that women must be well aware of the fact that black thighs are great for hiding their shapes and details. When she wears those tight black exercise outfit, you can hardly make out the shapes of her curves or proportions even from a few feet. Same woman changes to a lighter gray or white and you see God's finest creation in all of her glorious curvy details. Same applies when it comes to cars.

Now go to the gym and take some comparative pictures and post them for us

Albert
Haha, a more apt comparison would be to find a woman at the gym wearing glossy black clothes...

I think it just comes down to a matter of preference. I do think black cars hide "details" such as door handles, gas caps, etc. But they do not hide curves. That's what light colors tend to do.

That being said, I think most white cars look best at night, when reflections on them are more visible.

I like white cars as well. If I had found a white XKR at a reasonable price when I was car shopping, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying it.

Attached Thumbnails What your car's color says about you...-2010-jaguar-xkr_3234a.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

This is the most direct sunlight I could find a black XKR in.

Attached Thumbnails What your car's color says about you...-black-2009-jaguar-xkr-s-c-588x441.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Wrong perspective. The white car is exposed to direct sunshine from the side with no chance for any shadows to form off the detail work. The black car is pictured in a close up, a perspective that works for black. Distance that kill the details on black. I developed this theory about the black vs. light colors in the Gym when, in between exercises, having nothing better to do, simply scanned the room for attractive, shapely ladies. I realized that women must be well aware of the fact that black thighs are great for hiding their shapes and details. When she wears those tight black exercise outfit, you can hardly make out the shapes of her curves or proportions even from a few feet. Same woman changes to a lighter gray or white and you see God's finest creation in all of her glorious curvy details. Same applies when it comes to cars. Now go to the gym and take some comparative pictures and post them for us Albert
How can anyone argue with that logic?

The joints between body panels and around the door, trunk and hood are clearly visible on white cars, like someone drew on them with a black magic marker. Not so stark on other colors.

I have a black and silver cars. That means I'm elegant, powerful, prestigious and precocious. Yeah, you keep thinking that!!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine is Radiance (red) which is the same color as my Vette.
Amazing depth and really highlights the beautiful curves and crevasses of the metal work.
Absolutely stunning
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-you-image-jpg

Attached Thumbnails What your car's color says about you...-image.jpg  

Last edited by Versatile; 11-11-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Did your choice line up with this assessment?

What Does Your Car Color Say About You? - iVillage
I own a black XKR175, a white Porsche Panamera Turbo, a green Ford F-250, a silver Jeep Grand Cherokee, a blue Polaris RZR, camo Kawasaki Mule and a green tractor.

I guess I'm one screwed-up individual.