XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's the name of that Battery Tender again?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts
Default What's the name of that Battery Tender again?!?!

It's been said a few times in here... Sorry!!

Loth

Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
It's been said a few times in here... Sorry!!

Loth
I have recommended the following which I use on my 2009 XKR Convertible.

I never have any battery issues.

CTEK 3300 $52.00 from Amazon w Free Shipping.

I hooked it directly to the battery terminals in 2-3 minutes. All you need is two nuts to secure the round wire terminals of the CTEK 3300 to the threaded battery posts that Jaguar provides in the battery compartment. There is NO need to disconnect the battery, so no reprogramming.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

Last edited by GGG; 12-10-2022 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Add end QUOTE code
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,142 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Loth,

CTEK is one good brand. Another is BatteryMINDer.

I bought my BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator - 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 from Amazon in October 2011. I've had it attached to my XKR's remote battery terminals every day since then and have had no problems. They also have models for AGM batteries. Here's the link for all their models: Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer Model# 12117: Automotive

My previous charger was a Battery Tender brand that overheated and melted after only a few months of use. Their customer service and warranty is junk, too, and I will never buy any of their products again. After I wrote my Amazon review, I learned that was not the only dissatisfied Battery Tender customer. Here's my review and comments on Amazon: Amazon.com: Stuart S.'s review of Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Jun...

Check out the user reviews on Amazon before you decide which charger is best for your needs.

Here's the link to the original thread that discusses various brands, different ways to hook them up, and 12v or solar: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/

Stuart

Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Out of curiosity, you guys with the battery tenders--what kind of batteries do you have? Would a battery tender be a waste of money on an AGM battery?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Out of curiosity, you guys with the battery tenders--what kind of batteries do you have? Would a battery tender be a waste of money on an AGM battery?
The CTEK product is one that Jaguar endorses along with Mercedes and Porsche. In fact they have CTEK make the chargers with their own logos, but sell them for much more with the logo vs. not branding on them.

The CTEK chargers will handle all types of battery, lead acid, AGM etc.

Includes two interchangeable connection leads, one with clamps, and one with eyelet terminals

Four step, automatic switch charging and three separate charge modes that together allow for easy, convenient, no-watch battery charging

Charges 12-volt lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, Gel, AGM and Ca) from 12Ah to 75Ah (charging) or 12-120Ah (maintenance)

Maintenance pulse charging increases battery life and gives superb performance, and patented desulphation functionality allows for the recovery of slightly sulphated batteries

Compact design with mounting holes allows for permanent assembly, making this charger ideal for motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers, jet skis and other vehicle with batteries up to 120Ah

I agree with Stuart S on the Battery Tender product. I use a Battery Tender on my ATV, but would not suggest it for the Jaguar.

Here's a photo of the CTEK with the Jaguar branding.

And a photo of the CTEK 3300 that I use personally bought at Amazon.com

Attached Thumbnails What's the name of that Battery Tender again?!?!-ctek-charger-w-jaguar-branding.jpg   What's the name of that Battery Tender again?!?!-rich-dziaks-jaguar-ctek-006.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I especially liked this reply:
as well as getting Dawn to show us all what we can expect when calling their customer service.
Good review Stuart!

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm just glad I bought an AGM battery...
No tender needed so far, but only time will tell.

Vince

Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Best battery charger and maintainer. Most intelligent.

Smartchargers Canada

TM-181 - Optimate 6 5Amp Sealed Desulfating

The pig tail connector for Jaguar, O1 (SAE-71), is included. Weatherproof Battery Lead (Sport), Small eyelet battery connect/disconnect.

This charger is very intelligent. Not only will it maintain and charge your battery, it will restore a completely dead and unusable battery. If your battery ever loses it's charge so your car will not start the charger will cycle to rapid charge so you can start your car quickly. Usable on all battery types including AGM.

Pig tail connector included for easy connection.

Can also be bought online at amazon.com

Last edited by DGL; 08-12-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Does the CTEK battery have a no overcharge function? What does everyone think about the cig lighter adapter?!?!? CTEK has one on there page as an accessory.

Loth

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

I'm about ready to purchase the CTEK 3300 but am waiting till someone comments on whether the cig lighter charger accessory for it is a good idea or not.

Loth

Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Huh. I'm glad I checked this thread. I have a 2-bank battery tender model that I hook up to my Harley and the XKR. No issues with it in the two years I've had it, but it may still be worth it to switch anyway.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

I have my CTEK 3300 plugged into a wall socket. I bought the 8 foot CTEK extension cord, so it is so easy to unplug the charger, throw the cord from the battery into the trunk and pull out the car from the garage. Hooking the charger back up to the permanment power is a simple plug the cord back into the quick release, close the trunk.

The CTEK 3300 has a brain so it will not overcharge the battery, and that's one of the reasons it works so well.

I don't think you will find a better charger for the $52.99 that Amazon charges with free shipping. If you don't like it, return it to Amazon. Their return policy is fantastic.

Here's the link for the extension.

Ctek Comfort Connect 8 Foot Extension Cable Fits Mus 4 3 0 8 US 800 3300 7002 | eBay

Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Have you ever seen those exhaust systems they have in fire stations that hook up to the exhaust pipes of the fire trucks, so that when they start up the engines, the exhaust gets sucked up by an exhaust fan (and out the roof or through a filter) and doesn't harm the air quality inside the station?

http://www.nederman.com/proven-solut...gency-stations

Well they're left hooked up when the engine isn't being driven, and then when they fire up the engine and start to drive away, they automatically disconnect. I wonder if you could figure out a system like that for your battery tender. Maybe use magnets or something!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if you could figure out a system like that for your battery tender. Maybe use magnets or something!
It's so easy to just unclip the CTEK cord and place in your trunk. We may be Americans but we are not that lazy to unclip the cord. It's a small price to pay for having a continuous fully charged battery in these Jag's.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Have you ever seen those exhaust systems they have in fire stations that hook up to the exhaust pipes of the fire trucks..........I wonder if you could figure out a system like that for your battery tender. Maybe use magnets or something!
I contemplated the same question every time I use my Sonicare toothbrush.
It has an inductive charging base. Was thinking a small recieving coil with rectifier mounted inside the cars back glass, and laying a transmitting coil on the outside (maybe use super magnets to hold them alligned).
Only problen is glass thickness would make the energy transfer pretty inneficient.

Anyone want to negociate my inventers fee and product it?

Vince

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
...What does everyone think about the cig lighter adapter?!?!? CTEK has one on there page as an accessory.

Loth

Loth,

This was previously discussed. As I recall, since the cigarette lighter is switched (off when the ignition is off, on only when the ignition is on), the cig lighter adapter won't work. With the ignition off, the circuit to the battery is open and electricity can't flow to the battery to charge it.

I wouldn't try it with the ignition switched "on" as I suspect the current draw from those activated components might exceed the charge rate and you would wind up with a dead battery. I'm not sure if doing so could cause any damage to any electronic component.

Stuart

Old 12-09-2022, 06:13 PM
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

I know this is a very old thread but I have a question that relates. I can't seem find a "CTEK 3300". Have they changed the? If so, please tell me.

New member and loving it! Lot's of great information on here. Thanks, Dave

Old 12-09-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Wm. Lyon
I know this is a very old thread but I have a question that relates. I can't seem find a "CTEK 3300". Have they changed the? If so, please tell me.

Just get any CTEK, the higher the number the higher the amps and features.

CTEK battery maintainers on Amazon

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-10-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wm. Lyon

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find lots of helpful and knowledgeable members here.

But you need to help us help you by (1) updating your Public Profile to include more details besides being in the USA and (2) creating a signature block with details of your car.

Please read this Sticky:
New Members Must Read

The CTEK 3300 is an older model that has been superceded by newer models. I have the CTEK MXS 5.0 and recommend it. It's on sale now on Amazon for $89.99:
https://a.co/d/cTX03CT

There are several different ways to connect a CTEK or other brand battery maintainer to an X150, either to the remote battery terminals in the trunk (which is how I attached mine with alligator clips) or directly to the battery terminals using the pigtail with O-rings and nuts. IMPORTANT NOTE: there's a difference between the 4.2L and 5.0L hookups. For the 4.2L models, you can wire the red positive (+) and black negative (-) CTEK pigtail leads directly to the corresponding battery terminals. That's not the case for the 5.0L, which introduced the Battery Monitoring System. Because that BMS module is attached to the negative (-) battery terminal, you must attach the CTEK black negative pigtail to a chassis ground and not the negative battery terminal. Doing so can damage that BMS module.

Search this Forum for how to attach your battery maintainer. As I said, there are many ways to do it.

Stuart

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
GGG (12-10-2022), ralphwg (12-10-2022), Sean W (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Received 127 Likes on 56 Posts

It's amusing how topics occasionally bubble back up at just the right time. I was in the process of installing my new CTEK MX5.0 and when I read their instructions I thought "that doesn't sound quite right," so I popped in here and this thread was right here on top! I ended up using Barnsie's hookup from this thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-setup-238863/).

Of course the reason I put it on the tender is because I have a bad headlight switch which leaves the headlights on in Auto mode and last week I forgot to shut it off when we got back from dinner. A charge got it back up and running, so I'm hoping I didn't trash the battery -- it seemed to be fine after the charge, so hopefully I won't need to replace the battery right away. Now that the CTEK is in place, I can go out and replace the switch (as soon as searching the forum turns up the thread detailing the steps...)