Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

I'd really like to do wheel spacers on my staggered Sentas. I have read a few posts/threads on the subject here, including this one which really brought me to second guess:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...spacers-68990/

I am not sure yet what size, but I want to bring the wheels just short of the inside arches so my guess is 5mm-20mm. I'll measure when I have a moment.

But before I proceed I want to make certain I am not going to cause any damage or strain to any component on the car (tires, suspension, etc).

I know people who have done it, and assured me there will be no problem doing this but after reading through some of the comments Jagular posted I'm a bit hesitant.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I have ran them before with no issues. Currently I run them in the rear to clear my brakes.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default spacers

You might want to think twice about doing this. My bf helped me put 15mm all the way around on my 2013 per HR suggestions. some people put 20's on the front. I bought mine from a company here in CA. I then went and put 35mm springs from HR all the way around also. I bought them from Tire Rack.com. When all said and done the rear camber was greater than -3 degrees. and it looked it too!!. The rear tires didnt sit any where near flat. By sitting like this they will wear much quicker on the inside, meaning u will have to change them more often. Jags, at least 2013's, dont have any adjustment in the rear for the camber. My bf has one of the guys at the office trying to interface the thousands of shims that will bring the camber under -2 degrees. no luck yet. He is interfacing thru the internet using the measurement of the knuckles in the rear and see what comes closest. I suggested to him that maybe we have to cut a shim, therby customizing it rather than looking for an exact fit. BTW, the car handles much better lowered and widen and gives me more confidence when I jam it into turns and curves. If you put spacers on make sure you tighten your nuts @ 92 ft.lbs

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
jahummer (01-26-2014), MaximA (01-27-2014), Panthro (12-23-2016)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by a36ddeurobabe
You might want to think twice about doing this. My bf helped me put 15mm all the way around on my 2013 per HR suggestions. some people put 20's on the front. I bought mine from a company here in CA. I then went and put 35mm springs from HR all the way around also. I bought them from Tire Rack.com. When all said and done the rear camber was greater than -3 degrees. and it looked it too!!. The rear tires didnt sit any where near flat. By sitting like this they will wear much quicker on the inside, meaning u will have to change them more often. Jags, at least 2013's, dont have any adjustment in the rear for the camber. My bf has one of the guys at the office trying to interface the thousands of shims that will bring the camber under -2 degrees. no luck yet. He is interfacing thru the internet using the measurement of the knuckles in the rear and see what comes closest. I suggested to him that maybe we have to cut a shim, therby customizing it rather than looking for an exact fit. BTW, the car handles much better lowered and widen and gives me more confidence when I jam it into turns and curves. If you put spacers on make sure you tighten your nuts @ 92 ft.lbs
You should recognize that your camber was NOT effected by the spacers but, by the lowering springs. Per my ownership experience Jaguar's acceptable camber settings are as wide as the Grand Canyon. Some of my Jags had 1.7 rear negative from the factory while my present XF has a max. 0.3 negative up front.

Spacers simply move the wheels out.

I have run 15 and 20mm spacers on my '08XK and now on my '12XF with no issues, at all. Just to be sure, I checked before and after camber and toe settings and no changes occurred from the spacers.

Albert

The following 3 users liked this post by axr6:
jahummer (01-26-2014), MaximA (01-27-2014), sherbercars (01-27-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by a36ddeurobabe
You might want to think twice about doing this. My bf helped me put 15mm all the way around on my 2013 per HR suggestions. some people put 20's on the front. I bought mine from a company here in CA. I then went and put 35mm springs from HR all the way around also. I bought them from Tire Rack.com. When all said and done the rear camber was greater than -3 degrees. and it looked it too!!. The rear tires didnt sit any where near flat.
My question was directed specifically about spacers. I am going to lower it too, but less than an inch (20-25MM). The lead tech at the Jag dealer says he can get the camber close enough as long as I do not exceed 1"

Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6

I have run 15 and 20mm spacers on my '08XK and now on my '12XF with no issues, at all. Just to be sure, I checked before and after camber and toe settings and no changes occurred from the spacers.

Albert
Which wheels did you have on the XK and were they staggered?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
Which wheels did you have on the XK and were they staggered?
I have the stock '12 XF with the V8. The wheels are the stock 18", non-staggered ones. For me 15mm on the front and 20mm on the back wheels work very well, the car looking considerably more aggressive and the handling is also improved due to the wider track.

At one point I switched wheels, putting the 19" wheels from my '12 XJL onto the XF. The fronts also worked great with the 15mm spacers+XJL wheels but, I had to take the rear spacers off due to the wider 275 tires and wheels from the XJL. Now, it is back to the stock 18"s and spacers. I can definitely recommend.

Albert

Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

actually, spacers will affect camber even if springs are not changed. greater leverage.

another aspect that has to be considered with spacers is the change in scrub radius when used on the front hubs.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
actually, spacers will affect camber even if springs are not changed. greater leverage..
Plums

That would be the case if the leverage was great enough to result in an actual lowering, which in turn would change the camber. I was wondering about that as I planned my spacer install. For that reason I checked my ride height before and after and for all practical purposes they were the same. Thus, no camber changes.

Albert

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help everyone. Based on the offset of the staggered Sentas I have now, I am moving forward with 20mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. Hope it works! Now to figure out how to lower the car 20mm. Has anyone done spacers/shims on the factory springs instead of aftermarket springs? I was told by a Jaguar tech this is similar to how the R-S & GT are lowered (apparently they use shorter arms to compress the standard springs more).

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-23-2016)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Plums

That would be the case if the leverage was great enough to result in an actual lowering, which in turn would change the camber. I was wondering about that as I planned my spacer install. For that reason I checked my ride height before and after and for all practical purposes they were the same. Thus, no camber changes.

Albert
It may not have changed in your particular circumstances. However, the fact remains that the leverage is increased and it does raise the possibility of a camber change.

And if one wanted to put a fine point on it, measuring ride height before and after is not the same as measuring camber before and after.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't know why Jaguar didn't make the camber adjustable.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
It may not have changed in your particular circumstances. However, the fact remains that the leverage is increased and it does raise the possibility of a camber change.

And if one wanted to put a fine point on it, measuring ride height before and after is not the same as measuring camber before and after.
Plums

I did measure the cambers before and after, as well. Still got my alignment tools at home from my racing years so, it was easy to do. No camber changes.

Albert

Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Installed the H&R spacers, 20mm front, 15mm rear and unfortunately 15mm was too much, pushing the wheels out just past the fender. Looks like all it needs is 5mm. Good news is I did not have to shave the studs.

So if someone wants a new set of 15mm spacers for the front, I'll sell them for $130 + shipping.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

If using spacers I highly suggest ....hub centric-wheel centric spacers. I WOULD NOT use a spacer for bringing out the wheels unless it is hub centric-wheel centric.

I highly suggest using the following vendor.

We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech

Also you only need a distance of 5mm to 7mm in width extra to clear the brake caliper from the caliper to wheel spoke. Thus a 5mm to 7mm width spacer is ideal for proper wheel fitment. Pricing is available on motorsport-tech website.

It takes about 2-3 weeks from time of order to get your custom wheel spacers. These are top quality spacers using the finest aluminum materials.

You will need spacer width, bolt pattern, and centerbore measurements, also make sure the lug studs are long enough for the lugnuts to tighten down properly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by richzak; 02-03-2014 at 09:00 PM.