XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

X150 Replacement Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X150 Replacement Blower Motor

Recently my 2007 XKR HVAC blower motor started "chirping" indicating the bearing was not long for this earth. In quick order the Blower Control Module also went out probably from the motor drawing too much current.

After checking with Jaguar suppliers and being shocked at the cost of the two items I started digging in the forum and internet for less costly replacements. I removed both components and ordered the recommended Airtex/Wells 4P1652 module from Rock Auto. The cost of $75. with shipping certainly was more palatable than the Jaguar OEM unit. This left me with replacing the "chirping" motor and I had no luck in finding a cost effective replacement for the entire assembly.

I looked at the blower motor assembly and figured I had nothing to lose by taking it apart. Carefully removing the fan cage I saw that the motor was held in by two 6 point screws in the bottom and 3 rubber tension pieces at the top. It wasn't much of a job to remove the motor from the housing and this is what I found. I had bought the car in Naples, Florida where it had spent its whole pampered life. There was no evidence of the dreaded AC drain blockage as the fan assembly and HVAC housing showed no water stains or excessive dirt. However given that the motor sits facing up in its housing, salty, moist Florida air had done a number on the bottom portion of the motor itself.

The Bosch motor is not a sealed unit and the moisture, be it condensation or just the humidity in the air itself caused rust/corrosion to form and probably did in the bearing as well. I had no luck in finding anyone who sold the OEM Bosch motor (3 137 227 012). Various internet sources led me to a potential replacement motor. The 4 Seasons FS 35420 is virtually the same in dimensions with the only difference being the fan cage shaft is maybe 3/8 of an inch longer. It also has the advantage of being a sealed unit. This motor can be found on various internet sources. I purchased mine on Ebay for around $45.00.

The only alterations I had to make was to grind down the flat on the shaft to allow the fan cage to fit and to use my Dremel to cut off the 4 universal mounting studs (two top and two bottom). Since I didn't want to chance drilling holes in the bottom of the motor housing to enable use of the mounting screws (since it is sealed I didn't know how much space the was before hitting the armature) I used silicone sealant in the bottom and sparingly around the sides of the housing in order to secure it. The fan cage fit very tightly so I just put the clamp on the end along with a dab of silicone. I don't think it will take off like a helicopter but I may go back and cut a groove at the top for a "C" clip at a later time.

The only other thing to do is to snip the electrical connectors from the original motor and solder them to the new motor wires. Make sure to get the polarity correct when reinstalling the connectors in the housing so you get the proper rotation direction. All in all the actual time spent removing the original components, altering the new motor to fit and replacing everything only took a couple of hours. Once completed the HVAC blower worked as it should with the speed modulating properly. Since winter finally arrived in Ohio I only had a couple of days to use the car before taking it off the road until spring. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix and the $120. it cost plus a couple of hours labor sure beats $500. to $600. from Jaguar for the parts!!

Last edited by Cambo; 05-21-2016 at 06:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by putinbaytr3:
Cambo (05-21-2016), Chaos236 (05-21-2016), StevenUSAnh (03-19-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

My 2010 has started chirping too, thanks for posting this as it might be exactly the solution I'm looking for as well. Do you have any pics of your work?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Unfortunately no pictures. I was kind of making it up as I went along. After I was somewhat sure that it worked I thought about posting what I had done. It's pretty straightforward once you pull out the blower motor assembly. Thanks to Ford its a piece of cake to get out. Just remove the 3 plastic clips that hold up the fabric cover under the glove box. Three screws are all that hold in the motor assembly and they are easily accessed. Take the motor out of the housing by removing the 2 bottom screws (Torx) and carefully wedging out the motor. Be careful of the fan cage when removing the motor from the assembly and when removing it from the motor shaft so as not to break it as it is not available separately. Take the clamp off the end (its like a fuel line clamp). There is a groove in the shaft where a piece of the plastic fan is inserted, push this out of the groove with a small screwdriver or similar tool. I was able to remove the fan by tapping on the motor shaft after removing the motor from the housing. I put two 2 x 4's under the fan to enable the motor to drop down away from the fan while tapping on the shaft. Once you have the motor out you'll figure it out easily.
Good luck, I hope all future projects are as easy to work out as this one was.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Well done, thanks. Suggestion - break up your long descriptions to separate paragraphs, it makes it much easier for our old eyes to read

Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 AM

Sorry about the paragraphing. I left middle school grammar 55 years ago and last wrote in corporate America 12 years past. Lucky that in todays world I didn't try to write up the post in 140 characters or less with cryptic spelling. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Just want to update this thread.

I was a victim of a water logged Motor (stupid duckbill).

Mine was making noise. Didn't want to pay $200 (ebay).

The motor 4P1652 is a direct cross to a $34 (amazon - delivered) #35420 Four Seasons Motor.

Cut down the small 4 screws.. Push it down the bottom of the housing..

Don't overpress the squirrel cage too far down (may have to open up the plastic cage hole a tad as its gonna be a tight fit.

Hook up BLACK-RED - / RED BLACK to reverse the motor.

Install and enjoy the extra $150.

As Putinbaytr3 said...Its a sealed unit. Even if the duckbill gets clogged again and water in the footwell..this will last 3x's longer than the stock Bosch unit.

Very thankful for Putinbaytr3's post. My car was a VA beach car....I live in Tampa. Humid air....clogged duckbill...it will ruin the stock motor. This cheap motor I installed is made in Canada and you can buy it next day for under $40.

Joe

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Thumbs up

Its now been a couple of months since the XKR came out of storage. The HVAC fan has been used for all its intended purposes. Typical Cleveland spring 75 one day 40 the next. I've experienced no issues with my inexpensive fix of the fan motor/control unit issue. Therefore I'm declaring it a successful operation!!

Happy motoring

The following 4 users liked this post by putinbaytr3:
flyc2c (05-23-2016), franksm (05-25-2016), Jacsun (05-21-2016), Sean W (05-21-2016)