XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

yet another XKR exhaust question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

My "new car" has a lot of miles on it and it's only a xk so I'm not going to go overboard with performance so my idea for a little more rumble is to remove the front resonator and install two pipes back to an X that will replace second resonator. I will use this JEGS Performance Products 30680 JEGS Narrow Universal X-Pipe - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and leave the rear box (muffler) alone. From what I've read putting the X in the rear position should limit the chance of a drone sound at hi way speeds. What are your thoughts?

Randy

Old 04-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by v8deuce
My "new car" has a lot of miles on it and it's only a xk so I'm not going to go overboard with performance so my idea for a little more rumble is to remove the front resonator and install two pipes back to an X that will replace second resonator. I will use this JEGS Performance Products 30680 JEGS Narrow Universal X-Pipe - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and leave the rear box (muffler) alone. From what I've read putting the X in the rear position should limit the chance of a drone sound at hi way speeds. What are your thoughts?

Randy
Hi Randy,
I'm not sure if the frequencies and resonance will be the same, but, the "X" I run in my high performance mustang causes no "drone'. Then too, a lot of guys attribute the drone, in part, to the muffler style and perhaps it's baffling. I'm going to start by replacing the center muffs with an X, then see where that leads me.... Good luck!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hi Randy,
I'm not sure if the frequencies and resonance will be the same, but, the "X" I run in my high performance mustang causes no "drone'. Then too, a lot of guys attribute the drone, in part, to the muffler style and perhaps it's baffling. I'm going to start by replacing the center muffs with an X, then see where that leads me.... Good luck!

Right you are Ken a couple of my past cars have had flow masters that were very droney (if there is such a word) that at hwy speeds it was very hard to talk or listen to music so I started to experiment with H pipes,simply weld a pipe across joining the two pipes,the farther back I put the cross over the less drone (harmonics) I got but I've been out of the loop for a few years since I built my 32 so these X pipes make a lot of sense to me.When I built the 32 I went two quieter mufflers going into single tailpipe under centre of diff and it has a great sound all through the rpm range.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails yet another XKR exhaust question..-dsc02384.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Right you are Ken a couple of my past cars have had flow masters that were very droney (if there is such a word) that at hwy speeds it was very hard to talk or listen to music so I started to experiment with H pipes,simply weld a pipe across joining the two pipes,the farther back I put the cross over the less drone (harmonics) I got but I've been out of the loop for a few years since I built my 32 so these X pipes make a lot of sense to me.When I built the 32 I went two quieter mufflers going into single tailpipe under centre of diff and it has a great sound all through the rpm range.

Randy
Randy, just noticed....you're a "rodder" too! That's why you know 'bout 'dem flow-masters, "H" pipes, drone and stuff.....
I'm liking your roadster! love the color. What's the power plant?
Probably, should move this to the "general" area, huh?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Randy, just thought of something, do you know about power sticks? These are what a number of the Cobra guys use in the their outside exhausts. I modified a pair for my
E-Type when I got tired of replacing the factory stuff every two years.
they can be purchased in custom lengths. I have found them to be the best sound, outside of a Harley and a Healy.
Are the XKR's pipes only 2.25?

Attached Thumbnails yet another XKR exhaust question..-img_0177.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 PM

Yes I've seen those but I'm usually limited for length in the cars that I've built although we put them on a friends 66 BB corvette to replace his burnt out factory ones. The engine is a 97 mustang cobra 32 valve 4.6 and yes we are getting off the track of this thread,I hope I'm still ok as the 32 has a Jag diff in it I'm still about a week away from picking up my car so I'm not sure the exact size of the pipes but the X comes in 2.25,2.50 maybe someone will let us know so I can order the X in the right size.

Randy

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I've seen those but I'm usually limited for length in the cars that I've built although we put them on a friends 66 BB corvette to replace his burnt out factory ones. The engine is a 97 mustang cobra 32 valve 4.6 and yes we are getting off the track of this thread,I hope I'm still ok as the 32 has a Jag diff in it I'm still about a week away from picking up my car so I'm not sure the exact size of the pipes but the X comes in 2.25,2.50 maybe someone will let us know so I can order the X in the right size.

Randy
The nice thing about those power sticks is you can get them made to a custom length. Since my 2+2 is 9" longer, I them made to my specs. Yeah, I notice the inboard brakes and thought it was a Jag rear. Is it a 3.54? Looks awsum!
I should think, someone will chime in with the dia of the Jag's ex. system. BTW, what do you have coming? Mine's an '08 Portfolio that's about 3 weeks out in arriving. I've been putting off delivery until I can complete my garage expansion. I bought back in January!

Last edited by RedRider48; 04-18-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default exhaut noise

hi, bought a07 xkr from a second owner, the exhaust noise is amazing even in idle, if this is what a jag sounds like in the jungle its identical, no xkrs sounds better, have viewed videos and nothing comes near, previous owner said the first owner got from uk and cost 4,500, the rear box seems more of a cylinder shape than oval, with the tail pipes having the small holes in the insides

Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
hi, bought a07 xkr from a second owner, the exhaust noise is amazing even in idle, if this is what a jag sounds like in the jungle its identical, no xkrs sounds better, have viewed videos and nothing comes near, previous owner said the first owner got from uk and cost 4,500, the rear box seems more of a cylinder shape than oval, with the tail pipes having the small holes in the insides

Hi, perhaps, pics are in order?
Happy Trails....

Old 06-10-2015, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

... I'm not sure the exact size of the pipes but the X comes in 2.25,2.50 maybe someone will let us know so I can order the X in the right size.

Randy
Randy,
Did you ever get an answer? What is the diameter of the 4.2L X-pipe? Did you do that mod? If so,how does it sound and is there any drone? Thanks.
Stuart

Old 08-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy Ya'll, First time poster here. This thread is very interesting and one can have many different takes on it. I've read it twice and can't seem to find anyone mention an answer to a question I have. I want to put in the X Crossover pipe and am probably just going to buy on Jegs or Magnum, but have a question. Since there are two silencers, do I swap out one silencer with the X pipe and straight pipe the second silencer?
I have a 2014 XKR and love driving it in dynamic performance mode using the paddle shifters, but it's missing just a little bit of that "don't fu@$ with me attitude" I'm looking for.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-0-xkr-195889/

Any design other than the factory Performance Active Exhaust is likely to cause reduced performance, drone, or worse. I'd replicate the PAE as closely as possible.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the link and the guidance! Very much appreciated Stuart S.
Also, thanks to everyone who posts on here. So much invaluable information of do's and don't and badassery.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It will definitely be louder - I have the PAE, and it's certainly louder than the standard XKR, though it's not obtrusive. You may get a small increase in power, though I've never been able to establish how much.