Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 XKR Overheated - Blown Cooling Fan Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts
Default 00 XKR Overheated - Blown Cooling Fan Fuse

Just posting this as I work through this issue.

I was driving in 64 degree weather yesterday. Car was driving great, and having a blast. The red overheating light came on. I immediately pulled over and hooked up my OBD2 Scan Tool. It said I was at 246 degrees. While waiting for the car to cool, I started checking fuses and noticed one of the 30A cooling fan fuses was blown. I decided I needed cooling more that a windshield washer pump and swapped fuses. Fans kicked on full blast! My car started cooling down a ton, and when it got to 206, I started it just fine, ran good and I drove home watching the scan tool temp like a hawk.

I have a new Airtex pump coming, fancy gasket, tstat and seal. I know that hte fan fuse blowing isnt directly related to that, but for under $100 total, I'm deciding this overheating incident is worth shotgunning some parts. I don't think my headgasket is blown. Once I get things right again, I'm going to do a compression test. My plan of attack is to look at all my wiring and do some good old fashioned troubleshooting with my multimeter.

One nice thing is that my work gives us tomorrow off as a floating holiday. I was going to work on other stuff, but the best of plans...

From what I gather and have read here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...42/#post485775

Quote:
From White XKR
Get a 100 ohm resistor at Radio Shack for a buck or so. Unplug the coolant temperature sensor (grey 2 pin connector on coolant pipe). Place the resistor across the 2-pins on the connector on the harness. This will simulate an overheat condition to the ECU...you will see a warning in the car and the fans should turn on. Ths is better than just testing the fans because it checks the whole system (except the sensor). If the gauge rises normally during warmup, the sensor is likely fine.

Keep an eye on my website...I will have a module that will convert the gauges to read real data available this spring.

I got the 100 Ohm resistor from Radio Shack (6 pack for $1.19), jumped the female pins at the harness of the sensor. You do not need Test Leads or anything. Just bend the Resisitor Wires to fit into the harness.

The Heat Guage went immediatly to Hot, got an Odometer Screen Warning and both of the fans came on. The fans also cycled from low speed to high speed. Which tells me everything is working fine, other than maybe the Cooling Temp Sensor. Thats the next thing, I will probably just replace it with one from the Dealer. That way I know that I will be getting something with the correct 'temp limits'.
I'm going to grab a 100 ohm resistor from the tech shop at work and test this tonight. It appears the relays for the cooling fans are around $80 each, and buying a new set of fans is over $500; so unlike my Corvette, I can't just replace stuff with top notch parts for relative pennies just due to age and peace of mind. Buying the WP and TStat at 91k miles just seems like good preventative maintenance, and they're dirt cheap. Plus I don't think I'll be so lucky if it overheats again!

I'm also going to be buying maybe 2 sets of real gauge (do they work on X308s?) because I like seeing temps for real.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2002 jaguar XKR cooling fans

Hi, I have a 2002 Jaguar XKR the cooling fans fuse will blow when the fans start to come on. Ive tried 3 -30 amp fuses. I read here that the temperature sensor could cause the fuse to blow but that does not make sense to me. Also I cant locate the fan relay? The fans seem to turn easily and is there a test for the fans?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Did the interior cabin feel warmer than usual? When I take my cat for a hard run, it heats up. Scares me, but I know my coolant etc are all good...

Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi Bill,
WhiteXRK's trick above with the 100 ohm resistor will simulate an overheat and signal the fans to come on. Alternatively, they should come on when the A/C is turned on.

The fan relays are contained in the 'fan control module'. Assuming it is in the same place as the older cars, it's under the driver's side (US) front wing/fender in front of the wheel, near the LHS horn. You should be able to follow the wiring from the fan to find it.

There are two 30A fuses for the fans (F12 & F14) in the engine compartment fusebox. Which one is blowing?

edit: didn't address your question about a test for the fans. Take a look at this thread - it's long but there's some relevant information in there:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1515548

Last edited by michaelh; 07-05-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-10-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 AM

Hi thanks for responding. I used the 100 ohm resister and only 1 fan came on. the fuse did not blow but I only ran the motor a few minutes I had the A/C on during the test I assume both fans should have come on. The fuse that had blown was F14 though the numbering was off a few. The passenger side fan is not coming on.

Thanks. Bill

Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Can you confirm that F12 is intact as that's the one that feeds the RH fan?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

This was resolved a while ago, but the problem ended up being the wiring to one of the fans (the one on the right, passenger side US) was chewed up (rodent?). It's been solid ever since .

Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 PM

Michaelh, yes I checked the #12 fuse and I replaced it anyway. the test i ran with the 100 ohm resister had the left fan come on steady but no right side fan. I plugged the cooling temp sensor back in and the left fan would cycle on and off but the right was dead. iits strange the #14 fuse would blow before but now its not. #14 fuse does control the left side fan. I ran the engine until it reached operating temp and it held steady with the left side fan cycling on and off. It did not blow a fuse which is strange maybe because the right side fan is dead now?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by billat3800ft
Michaelh, yes I checked the #12 fuse and I replaced it anyway. the test i ran with the 100 ohm resister had the left fan come on steady but no right side fan. I plugged the cooling temp sensor back in and the left fan would cycle on and off but the right was dead. iits strange the #14 fuse would blow before but now its not. #14 fuse does control the left side fan. I ran the engine until it reached operating temp and it held steady with the left side fan cycling on and off. It did not blow a fuse which is strange maybe because the right side fan is dead now?

A tad confused as JTIS shows F12 as the feed for the RH fan. I'd assumed that to be looking from back to front: i.e. passenger side (US).
Pull the connector off the fan that doesn't spin and see if the other fan stops. If it does, then the non-rotating fan is suspect.

If it doesn't then check the disconnected fan by powering it from a separate battery (via a 30A fuse) or, if you have a multimeter handy, measure the resistance across the fan terminals. You're looking for about 0.5 ohms. These tests are to eliminate the fan.

If the above checks out, then suspect fan module or wiring. Please report back what you find.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Hi, I checked the power going to the right fan and there was no power so i assume its the relay. the check was made when the left fan was powered on.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Do still test the fan either with a multimeter or a separate fused supply to eliminate it as the cause rather than a symptom.

If it checks out you're left with the other 30A fuse, a wiring issue or the fan module (hopefully in order of ease of checking).

Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The fan control module on my XKR is mounted to the fan shroud between the fans. It is the likely culprit. It takes a signal from the ECM for temperature and controls the fans. On mine both fans run at the same time but the speed will vary based on water temp. My module failed and it let the water temp climb at stoplights. The lousy temp gauge did not signal this until the coolant was really hot. You will know if this is happening because the AC will cease to cool then.