XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120K XKR... Trouble? Or Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120K XKR... Trouble? Or Good Deal?

Hi. New to forum and to Jaguars... I most recently had a 2001 Mercedes CLK430. Loved it, but it finally died in a way I wasn't going to fix it so it's gone. Looking around, found a 2001 XKR with about 120K miles. Near as I can tell, it's better than the Mercedes in every way.

Seller isn't asking much for it, but am concerned about what sort of longevity can realistically be expected. I'm going to take it tho a Jag shop for pre-purchase inspection, but that only goes so far.

What should I be looking out for? Is 120K too many miles to be able to expect much more out of it? With the price I only would feel like I needed a couple of years of use to make it a good deal. So, basically, is 150K before major repair reasonable, or pipe dream?

-kb

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kb, wish you shared the asking price. It would help with perspective. Don't think you mentioned interior or body condition, that would matter to me.

I'm sure someone else remembers when the plastic tensioners were factory replaced, I think it was right around 2001.

You probably have CATS suspension, I think all R versions do. Great to have just be ready for the $$$ to change the shocks - do they need changing ?

I am going to let others jump in. I suppose when I think about your question it is less about is this a good deal than its about your concern about high miles and what major repairs to expect. If I'm wrong say more. I think the more details you provide the more you'll receive.
John

Old 12-15-2016, 12:14 AM

Asking price is about $7K. Clean title, body and paint look very good. Interior has a couple small issues, but generally perfect. Car looks very good.

-kb

Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well breaking it down, to how many miles per year are on it. Chances are not so many. 2006 was the end of x100s . So you're looking at 12k mi per year max.
The mileage dont matter as much its how those miles were done.
If that interior is looking nice, chances are it was driven gentle. these are like 10+ years old and even at 12k per year to me sounds like a second car, maybe lots of highway (good thing). Ask for the place of services, and run the vin by them. They should have a maintenance record.
I'm SURE it has all the ageing little annoying breaking issues we've all had. But don't fear those.
Check the inner front tires for wear, they can tell if the suspension may need some work.
The engines on these things are really good. You don't hear many complaints. And i bet a few hundred k miles can be gotten out of them. Plus with a higher mileage one, all that will go wrong, has already been fixed. Mine is at 161k and is like an angel.
$7k XKR, man, go for it. In LA they're fetching twice that.

Last edited by Julian Black; 12-15-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh yeah, and about the CATS, if not working, you can just downgrade to non CATS, if not already done. Its really nice for cush but can be an overkill luxury. Cuz yeah, John's right, they are way overpriced.

Last edited by Julian Black; 12-15-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk.B
...... What should I be looking out for? Is 120K too many miles to be able to expect much more out of it? ......
Welcome to the forum Kirk.B,

120k miles on a Jaguar wouldn't worry me too much - it's condition, service history and any outstanding work to be done is more important.

The three regular issues are:

1. plastic tensioners (potential engine killer - should be replaced with latest steel type)
2. cooling system (lots of plastic and rubber to fail)
3. transmission (not scheduled but a fluid change at 70k prolongs life)

See 'sticky' thread for lots of information:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Interior condition is important. Apparently minor missing/broken trim can often be unavailable or cost a fortune to replace.

If you are planning on going ahead with this Jaguar (or any Jaguar) and saying on the forum, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

I recently picked up a 2002 xkr coupe with 132K on it. I've driven nearly 700 miles without an issue. Seems reliable to me. ;-)

Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Kirk--didn't notice where you are located and/or where the car is located. I would guess that west coast cars are generally more babied than east coast ones or where there is inclement weather. I understand that rust can be an issue depending on location.

Doug

Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 AM

The car is a 3 owner car. California and Arizona. No rust. Not a lot of service history available unfortunately. The throttle body was replaced pretty early on, but no other repairs and only a one routine service listed on carfax. I don't know the engine serial number, but from the date of manufacture I believe it likely has plastic tensioners, so I'll have to dig into that. If I get it (which seems likely unless some other person beats me to it), I'll post pictures. Regardless, thank you all very much... your help is much appreciated.

-kb

Old 12-17-2016, 09:43 PM

OK, so I didn't buy it... Way too many issues. So, the hunt continues... Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully, I'll be back.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Where is the car? Arizona?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Kirk.B,
My gorgeous 2002 XKR has well over 160,000 miles on her and is more reliable now than when I bought it with 60,000 miles. Of course, along the way, it had every single malady known to afflict these cars including secondary tensioners, timing chains, shifter solenoids, supercharger rebuild, shock mounts, green shower, etc.......However, if these repairs and upgrades have been done by the previous owner(s), you stand a very good chance of having a car that will be reasonably trouble free for well over 200,000 miles. A couple of years ago, I purchased a 2010 5.0L XKR coupe so I could prolong the life of my 2002 convertible. The X150 is a much more sophisticated as well as more powerful ride, but I think the X100 is more beautiful and always brings a smile to my face when I drive it. Good luck in your search.

Attached Thumbnails 120K XKR... Trouble?  Or Good Deal?-dscf1778.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cabel (01-24-2017)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Are you looking for a coupe or convertible? Looking around the country there are some absolute killer deals on XKR's on craigslist, with most OBO.

Probably everyone you look at will have some issues (which is generally why they are selling) but I've seen a lot of ads lately where the original owners are just too old to get int/out of them easily. The 50/60 years old original owners are in their 70's/80's, now.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:46 PM

@Ungn,

Looking for a coupe. Found a fantastic one in Florida... but, unfortunately I'm in Oregon and the logistics are too difficult. I'm patient, something will come along. If I wait another month or so, I think I can raise my price range a bit also, which will help. Currently I'm at about $10K. End of January, I think I can go $15K. There seems to be a pretty bright line between these two price ranges for XKR.

What are you thoughts on the older style (4.0/5 speed) vs. newer (4.2/6 speed)?

The car I was looking at is in Portland, OR: 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe for sale at Braidia and TNT Auto Group in Portland, OR | Used Cars Portland, OR Auto Dealer Portland, Oregon

Incomplete list of issues are:

Check Engine Light
Air Bag light
Electric mirror adjustment very sticky... sort of works but not really.
Electric seat adjustment does not work
Moisture condensed on windshield indicating moisture in cabin
Defroster doesn't work (air can't be directed to windshiled
Heated seats don't work
Smells faintly of burning oil when driving (indicating external oil leak)
Needs Tensioner update
Door locks don't work properly (I nearly got stuck in the car because it wouldn't unlock)
Rear-view mirror missing
Dome light console disconnected and dangling from wires
Stereo doesn't work properly (no AM reception, and generally sounds bad)
Dead battery in 3 days, even though battery is new (voltage leak somewhere)...

I'm sure there's more wrong than that, just don't remember. Just too much to take on for me. I can handle a lot, but this car has more broken than not broken.

On the upside, engine sounded and ran well, and transmission appeared to be working correctly, though I never got it through all gears on test drive...

Old 12-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Check the Phoenix Arizona Craigslist.

With all of the snow/cold in Portland, wouldn't it be nice to take a short trip to Sedona?

Old 12-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

4.0 vs. 4.2, by the time the 4.2L engine came out in 2003, most of the major engine bugs of the 4.0L had been solved. These include the major one, the replacement of the plastic secondary tensioners with metal ones. In that sense, the 4.2 has some advantages. However, the 5 spd. tranny of the 4.0XKR (not of the XK8) is a Mercedes Benz sourced unit and is a more hearty unit than the 6 spd ZF unit of the 2003-2006. The 2001-2002 cars are going to be less expensive and offer great value so long as the tensioners are addressed.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk.B
@Ungn,

Looking for a coupe. Found a fantastic one in Florida... but, unfortunately I'm in Oregon and the logistics are too difficult. I'm patient, something will come along. If I wait another month or so, I think I can raise my price range a bit also, which will help. Currently I'm at about $10K. End of January, I think I can go $15K. There seems to be a pretty bright line between these two price ranges for XKR.

What are you thoughts on the older style (4.0/5 speed) vs. newer (4.2/6 speed)?

The car I was looking at is in Portland, OR: 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe for sale at Braidia and TNT Auto Group in Portland, OR | Used Cars Portland, OR Auto Dealer Portland, Oregon

Incomplete list of issues are:

Check Engine Light
Air Bag light
Electric mirror adjustment very sticky... sort of works but not really.
Electric seat adjustment does not work
Moisture condensed on windshield indicating moisture in cabin
Defroster doesn't work (air can't be directed to windshiled
Heated seats don't work
Smells faintly of burning oil when driving (indicating external oil leak)
Needs Tensioner update
Door locks don't work properly (I nearly got stuck in the car because it wouldn't unlock)
Rear-view mirror missing
Dome light console disconnected and dangling from wires
Stereo doesn't work properly (no AM reception, and generally sounds bad)
Dead battery in 3 days, even though battery is new (voltage leak somewhere)...

I'm sure there's more wrong than that, just don't remember. Just too much to take on for me. I can handle a lot, but this car has more broken than not broken.

On the upside, engine sounded and ran well, and transmission appeared to be working correctly, though I never got it through all gears on test drive...
there was a fantastic seafrost in florida. a lovely car, AND a coupe!!!
but i am in Ca as well, and don't want to make that trek. my hunt continues as well...

Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
4.0 vs. 4.2, by the time the 4.2L engine came out in 2003, most of the major engine bugs of the 4.0L had been solved. These include the major one, the replacement of the plastic secondary tensioners with metal ones. In that sense, the 4.2 has some advantages. However, the 5 spd. tranny of the 4.0XKR (not of the XK8) is a Mercedes Benz sourced unit and is a more hearty unit than the 6 spd ZF unit of the 2003-2006. The 2001-2002 cars are going to be less expensive and offer great value so long as the tensioners are addressed.
Where did you get this info about the Mercedes tranny being better than the 6-speed?? It's simply not true. The newer 6-speed is better in every way, including reliability and drivability. Prices reflect this.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a silver 2002 coupe in sedona for $9300 with only 65K miles.

It looks like it had "older owner syndrome" with some questionable things in the photos, but its hard to fault a 2002 XKR Coupe with 65K miles and a clean title for less than $10K.

He also has a Black 2000 convert XKR with 88K miles for $8700.

They have been on CL for months, so he may ready to deal.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
Here is a silver 2002 coupe in sedona for $9300 with only 65K miles.

It looks like it had "older owner syndrome" with some questionable things in the photos, but its hard to fault a 2002 XKR Coupe with 65K miles and a clean title for less than $10K.

He also has a Black 2000 convert XKR with 88K miles for $8700.

They have been on CL for months, so he may ready to deal.
sheepskin seats? yikes!
what would it cost to replace the convertible hosing to avoid the dreaded green shower? im sure the Az heat didnt help with the rubber parts...