XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 XK8 Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 1999 XK8 Paint

My '99 XK8 coupe still sports her original paint in good condition. She was obviously kept out of the sun since the Phoenix Red color is still bright and matches the inside painted areas well, e.g., inside trunk lid. However, there are ten or so spots on the body that look as though an unfriendly bird may have bombed her and the droppings weren't wiped off. They vary in size from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inches and are irregular in shape. They cannot be felt and are only noticeable in certain light.
I want to retain the original paint, so a respray is not an option. I have waxed her several times but no joy: the spots remain.
Did Jaguar use a color and clear coat paint on '99 XK8s?
Would a careful clay bar application likely help or might that damage the finish?
I drive her frequently and don't want a concours finish, but the spots bug me. I will appreciate any thoughts on how I might remove them.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,297 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I have had good success removing residue spots (including hardened pine tree tar and bird ****) on automotive paint with rubbing alcohol, an old cotton diaper, and some very careful but sustained elbow grease. Have you tried this approach?

The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Bird poo can be very acidic and will eat through the clear coat in less than 24 hours.

I've had good results by GENTLY rubbing the offending area with toothpaste (mild abrasive) to feather the edges and then follow with polish and then wax.

If the toothpaste isn't abrasive enough, then you'll need to use the finest wet & dry sandpaper (use wet) available, followed by the polish and wax.

The bird poo normally does not eat entirely through the clear coat if caught in time. It's only when left for days/weeks that it eats through to the base coat.

The key word here is GENTLY!

Cheers,

Stu

jimmiejag (03-17-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

a good auto body painter can spot repair and blend the clear coat.

The following 2 users liked this post by CorStevens:
Jeagar (03-21-2018), jimmiejag (03-18-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiejag
However, there are ten or so spots on the body that look as though an unfriendly bird may have bombed her and the droppings weren't wiped off. They vary in size from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inches and are irregular in shape. They cannot be felt and are only noticeable in certain light.
I want to retain the original paint, so a respray is not an option. I have waxed her several times but no joy: the spots remain.
Did Jaguar use a color and clear coat paint on '99 XK8s?
Would a careful clay bar application likely help or might that damage the finish?
I drive her frequently and don't want a concours finish, but the spots bug me. I will appreciate any thoughts on how I might remove them.
I own a high end detailing shop in Silicon Valley.
Yes, the 99 has base/clearcoat
Unless the spots are left over residue a claybar will not remove them. As a guess and it was already mentioned that the clear coat is etched. Your fingers will not find very tiny imperfections.
Without actually seeing them, my best guess is the spots need to be compounded, then polished.
Go to your local auto parts store and get Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, you can use it by hand if you don't have a buffer and a cutting pad.
If by hand use medium type pressure and work the product after a minute or two, gently ease up on the pressure while still working the product. Work until it is almost gone.
This product has what they call diminishing abrasives. The compound starts out as big chunks(relatively speaking), which removes the etchings, and as you work it, it breaks down into a very fine abrasive/polish as you ease up and breakdown the product, it will polish up the surface to a nice shine.
If they do not disappear then they need to be buffed or wet sanded out.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 03-21-2018 at 03:00 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Grzldvt:
jimmiejag (03-21-2018), rsdmitch7 (04-04-2018), StuG (03-21-2018), Ungn (04-04-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
a good auto body painter can spot repair and blend the clear coat.
This is in my opinion the best suggestion. Get a quote from a pro shop. It might be reasonable and you will get it perfect again.

If the car is in good condition, a X100 definitely deserves being brought back to flawless state.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try the toothpaste method first, followed by compound then fine sandpaper. If none of those work, I will try a good body shop. While the bird crap spots aren't terrible, they are a distraction from a near perfect finish.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jeagar
This is in my opinion the best suggestion. Get a quote from a pro shop. It might be reasonable and you will get it perfect again.

If the car is in good condition, a X100 definitely deserves being brought back to flawless state.

Wow! Auto paint shops must be dirt cheap in your area.

Since bird droppings, tree droppings, acid rain, etc., are a recurring problems, how often (in your opinion) should the OP have the clear coat resprayed/repaired by a pro shop? Every three months, six months, twelve months?

Do you think it would be better to have a professional painter on a retainer or just to list him as a dependent on ones income tax return?

I'm always amazed at how easy it is to spend someone else's money.

This is a DIY repair. It's called paint correction.

Stu

Last edited by StuG; 03-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StuG:
Grzldvt (03-22-2018), MediaBobNY (04-06-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StuG
Wow! Auto paint shops must be dirt cheap in your area.

Since bird droppings, tree droppings, acid rain, etc., are a recurring problems, how often (in your opinion) should the OP have the clear coat resprayed/repaired by a pro shop? Every three months, six months, twelve months?

Do you think it would be better to have a professional painter on a retainer or just to list him as a dependent on ones income tax return?

I'm always amazed at how easy it is to spend some else's money.

This is a DIY repair. It's called paint correction.

Stu
Maybe I just think the car deserves whatever price it is to bring it back to perfection? I really like the X100. I'm not getting into it because I can't afford a X150 or some other similar car. It's because I truly like the car. Gorgeous!

I said get a quote. Sometimes you think it's a lot of money and it's not. I'm not sure his car needs the clear coat resprayed. I once had what I thought were deep scratches on my paint and I took it to a shop to get a quote, expecting it would probably be too expensive. I was so surprised by how affordable it was that I left the car right there to have it done and took a taxi home. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to lay off the caffeine. It might give you a stroke.

Overreacting much are we?

Last edited by Jeagar; 03-21-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimmiejag
Thanks for the replies. I will try the toothpaste method first, followed by compound then fine sandpaper. If none of those work, I will try a good body shop. While the bird crap spots aren't terrible, they are a distraction from a near perfect finish.

Hi Jim,

Please get back to us and let us know what works/worked for you.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar
Maybe I just think the car deserves whatever price it is to bring it back to perfection? I really like the X100. I'm not getting into it because I can't afford a X150 or some other similar car. It's because I truly like the car. Gorgeous!

I said get a quote. Sometimes you think it's a lot of money and it's not. I'm not sure his car needs the clear coat resprayed. I once had what I thought were deep scratches on my paint and I took it to a shop to get a quote, expecting it would probably be too expensive. I was so surprised by how affordable it was that I left the car right there to have it done and took a taxi home. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to lay off the caffeine. It might give you a stroke.

Overreacting much are we?
Will dive in one more time, based on the OP's description, if our suggestions don't work, then take to a highly recommended detailer in his area. I have yet to find respraying clear coat be an inexpensive option.
In fact I have a Model S coming in and I quoted her $250 - $350 to remove all the bird etchings just on the hood, if she wants a ceramic coating put on, then it will be $650. She told me a quote to sand and reclear the hood, was $1500, which was no surprise to me at all and did not include putting a ceramic coating on the hood.
So let's see where the OP finally solves the problem

StuG (03-22-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim,
I went out to YouTube and found a number of fearturettes on the fine art of bird crap removal. Find one that makes sense to you and give it a try.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately, Spring isn't happening here in the Midwest US. It was 29 degree F this morning and, just to add a degree of difficulty, our electrical power went out last night when a branch snapped off and pulled our supply line down. Just replaced the line this morning. So, I've not had a chance yet to try the toothpaste/compound fixes.
I will post when Mother Nature gets her act together.
Global warming?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Default Some Positive Results Removing Bird Crap Residue from Paint

As noted, I finally got a break in the weather here and tried the toothpaste method to remove the effects of bird poo on my coupe. The results were that some of the marks were reduced, but it took quite a bit of work. So I next tried a mild polishing compound, just a step below rubbing compound in "gritiness", and the results were good. I have reduced several of the most noticeable spots and am sure that more time and elbow grease will produce a good result.
Thanks for the replies!

Grzldvt (04-08-2018)