XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XKR: Battery recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2000 XKR: Battery recommendation.

Hi,

Long time no chat. So, I'm getting the year 2000 XKR ready for use this Summer, and the 6 year old battery seems truly dead after this latest Winter without use (I'm trying to figure a trickle charger; the one I bought says "no extension cord", and I would need to use one). Home charger pack didn't work. I plan to have AAA do an industrial jump (I know about grounding the battery), but I think this time I might need new battery. I'm not hands-on. I dread having the car towed 50 miles to nearest dealer. AAA claims to offer battery service on site, but I suspect they don't carry what I believe is a non-typical unit for this car. I would like to order battery. I figure the physical act of placing it in car should not be too bad. If AAA won't do it, I can check other local service. Obviously, I am amenable to most advice here, but at very least I'd like recommendation for BEST BATTERY for 2000 XKR. When last swap 6 years ago, the dealership charged 600+ for the whole process. I've seen online shops claiming deliverable batteries to match the car for $140. I have no idea. I appreciate any input. Thanks

Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by david i
Hi,

Long time no chat. So, I'm getting the year 2000 XKR ready for use this Summer, and the 6 year old battery seems truly dead after this latest Winter without use (I'm trying to figure a trickle charger; the one I bought says "no extension cord", and I would need to use one). Home charger pack didn't work. I plan to have AAA do an industrial jump (I know about grounding the battery), but I think this time I might need new battery. I'm not hands-on. I dread having the car towed 50 miles to nearest dealer. AAA claims to offer battery service on site, but I suspect they don't carry what I believe is a non-typical unit for this car. I would like to order battery. I figure the physical act of placing it in car should not be too bad. If AAA won't do it, I can check other local service. Obviously, I am amenable to most advice here, but at very least I'd like recommendation for BEST BATTERY for 2000 XKR. When last swap 6 years ago, the dealership charged 600+ for the whole process. I've seen online shops claiming deliverable batteries to match the car for $140. I have no idea. I appreciate any input. Thanks
Where in the USA are you? Maybe a nearby member might assist.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM

I split time between NYC and Wisconsin (long story), but the car winters at my parents' home in central NJ, Toms River.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Go to your local Advance Auto parts. This battery fits: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

An AGM type like this is a good idea for cars that are idle off-season. They can handle the partial discharge much better. Order online and pickup and you should be able to get at least 20% off.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Jaguar recommends H8!

Get the best H8 you can find and if you don't use the car much you should try a 'battery-tender' to keep the battery charged or just disconnect it during periods of 'NON-USE'.

bob

Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

You can't go wrong with the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Right size, good price, good warranty, and working very well for me.

it bears pointing out, you can go wrong by trying to cheap out on the battery with these cars. The electrical system does NOT tolerate drops voltage. On these cars especially, a battery tender is a smart move whenever the car is not being driven overnight or longer.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9849

Z

Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Go to your local Advance Auto parts. This battery fits: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

An AGM type like this is a good idea for cars that are idle off-season. They can handle the partial discharge much better. Order online and pickup and you should be able to get at least 20% off.
The guys at Advance Auto will even install it for you at no extra charge.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Other things to consider

Hi,

..... I'm not hands-on..... I appreciate any input. Thanks
Another David (seems to be lots of us)

A few other things to consider as you wake your car from its hibernation with a new battery.

1. You may need reset the window travel top and bottom limits
2. You’ll need the deck radio unit’s access code
3. When you have the new battery, don’t immediately turn the key to start. Engine will rev like mad. Put key in, turn to ancillaries on, and wait for 10seconds for all control units and relays to check themselves. Turn off and then start the car.
4. Common problem with our X100 cars in that the fuel pumps go bad after long term storage. You should hear the fuel pump “whirring noise” priming the fuel rails before the engine cranks.

Note you can still work on the car with a bad battery by providing power by jump leads or using the aux charge point in the engine bay... if you’re not hands on, probably best to wait until the new battery is in.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 AM

Thanks, but I don't think Advance Auto will come to my house. I can check with them.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Another David (seems to be lots of us)

A few other things to consider as you wake your car from its hibernation with a new battery.

1. You may need reset the window travel top and bottom limits
2. You’ll need the deck radio unit’s access code
3. When you have the new battery, don’t immediately turn the key to start. Engine will rev like mad. Put key in, turn to ancillaries on, and wait for 10seconds for all control units and relays to check themselves. Turn off and then start the car.
4. Common problem with our X100 cars in that the fuel pumps go bad after long term storage. You should hear the fuel pump “whirring noise” priming the fuel rails before the engine cranks.

Note you can still work on the car with a bad battery by providing power by jump leads or using the aux charge point in the engine bay... if you’re not hands on, probably best to wait until the new battery is in.
Thanks. The window I knew. The others I'll do now. Had fuel pumps redone last Summer. Should be an interesting Monday. Turns out AAA does have a compatible battery. I'll explore with them a bit more. The service will only install its own, not another (even if better) battery. I'd be happy to spring for a local supplier to do home service. Just never havbe asked if any can do that.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

..... I'm not hands-on. .....
David,

If you can open the luggage compartment, you can fit a battery.

From your earlier reply, you already know about resetting window travel limits etc after a battery discharge or disconnect.

Graham

Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 AM

Yeah, with annual jump starts I caught on at least to the window thing.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR

+1: Mine is going strong after more than 4 years. I used a coupon code for $50 off (just under $150). I also use an AGM type BatteryTender.
One last thing that I can say that Steve probably is to humble or professional to say, is that that battery works great with the Jagwrangler:
Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
You can't go wrong with the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Right size, good price, good warranty, and working very well for me.

it bears pointing out, you can go wrong by trying to cheap out on the battery with these cars. The electrical system does NOT tolerate drops voltage. On these cars especially, a battery tender is a smart move whenever the car is not being driven overnight or longer.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9849

Z

Would be a very funny line if it wasn't so true!

The following 2 users liked this post by scottatl:
DavidYau (06-09-2019), zray (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I am very surprised no one has mentioned the CTEK battery charger. Simple to use and very well designed. A lot of reviews and magazines recommend them. As does your Leno? Over there. I will see if I can find a Youtube video for you.

This is the much older, and bigger CTEK. Will see if I can find a newer one for you.

This is the one I have. Also recommended by Leno on another video somewhere.......

How to use it.

Last edited by frankc; 06-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM

So, I'm back in my family's hometown. Advance Auto has the battery mentioned above, but will not do installation even at their shop "pro install only" Next call to AAA which does have an appropriate battery. If I can get the car jump started, I will pursue the Platinum battery and take it to shop. If can't jump the battery (home battery pack failed), will have AAA put in new one and then consider upgrade. Thanks for info folks.