XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XKR: Battery recommendation.

 
  #1  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2000 XKR: Battery recommendation.

Hi,

Long time no chat. So, I'm getting the year 2000 XKR ready for use this Summer, and the 6 year old battery seems truly dead after this latest Winter without use (I'm trying to figure a trickle charger; the one I bought says "no extension cord", and I would need to use one). Home charger pack didn't work. I plan to have AAA do an industrial jump (I know about grounding the battery), but I think this time I might need new battery. I'm not hands-on. I dread having the car towed 50 miles to nearest dealer. AAA claims to offer battery service on site, but I suspect they don't carry what I believe is a non-typical unit for this car. I would like to order battery. I figure the physical act of placing it in car should not be too bad. If AAA won't do it, I can check other local service. Obviously, I am amenable to most advice here, but at very least I'd like recommendation for BEST BATTERY for 2000 XKR. When last swap 6 years ago, the dealership charged 600+ for the whole process. I've seen online shops claiming deliverable batteries to match the car for $140. I have no idea. I appreciate any input. Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 PM
WhiteXKR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington VA USA
Posts: 7,485
Received 2,718 Likes on 2,013 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by david i View Post
Hi,

Long time no chat. So, I'm getting the year 2000 XKR ready for use this Summer, and the 6 year old battery seems truly dead after this latest Winter without use (I'm trying to figure a trickle charger; the one I bought says "no extension cord", and I would need to use one). Home charger pack didn't work. I plan to have AAA do an industrial jump (I know about grounding the battery), but I think this time I might need new battery. I'm not hands-on. I dread having the car towed 50 miles to nearest dealer. AAA claims to offer battery service on site, but I suspect they don't carry what I believe is a non-typical unit for this car. I would like to order battery. I figure the physical act of placing it in car should not be too bad. If AAA won't do it, I can check other local service. Obviously, I am amenable to most advice here, but at very least I'd like recommendation for BEST BATTERY for 2000 XKR. When last swap 6 years ago, the dealership charged 600+ for the whole process. I've seen online shops claiming deliverable batteries to match the car for $140. I have no idea. I appreciate any input. Thanks
Where in the USA are you? Maybe a nearby member might assist.
 
  #3  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I split time between NYC and Wisconsin (long story), but the car winters at my parents' home in central NJ, Toms River.
 
  #4  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 PM
WhiteXKR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington VA USA
Posts: 7,485
Received 2,718 Likes on 2,013 Posts
Default

Go to your local Advance Auto parts. This battery fits: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

An AGM type like this is a good idea for cars that are idle off-season. They can handle the partial discharge much better. Order online and pickup and you should be able to get at least 20% off.
 
  #5  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Decatur,TX
Posts: 7,848
Received 4,115 Likes on 2,694 Posts
Default

Jaguar recommends H8!

Get the best H8 you can find and if you don't use the car much you should try a 'battery-tender' to keep the battery charged or just disconnect it during periods of 'NON-USE'.

bob
 
  #6  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 PM
zray's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: on the road in NE Oklahoma
Posts: 780
Received 291 Likes on 192 Posts
Default

You can't go wrong with the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Right size, good price, good warranty, and working very well for me.

it bears pointing out, you can go wrong by trying to cheap out on the battery with these cars. The electrical system does NOT tolerate drops voltage. On these cars especially, a battery tender is a smart move whenever the car is not being driven overnight or longer.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9849

Z
 
  #7  
Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 PM
rothwell's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Land O Lakes, Florida
Posts: 1,393
Received 636 Likes on 385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
Go to your local Advance Auto parts. This battery fits: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

An AGM type like this is a good idea for cars that are idle off-season. They can handle the partial discharge much better. Order online and pickup and you should be able to get at least 20% off.
The guys at Advance Auto will even install it for you at no extra charge.
 
  #8  
Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM
DavidYau's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 575
Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Other things to consider

Originally Posted by david i View Post
Hi,

..... I'm not hands-on..... I appreciate any input. Thanks
Another David (seems to be lots of us)

A few other things to consider as you wake your car from its hibernation with a new battery.

1. You may need reset the window travel top and bottom limits
2. You’ll need the deck radio unit’s access code
3. When you have the new battery, don’t immediately turn the key to start. Engine will rev like mad. Put key in, turn to ancillaries on, and wait for 10seconds for all control units and relays to check themselves. Turn off and then start the car.
4. Common problem with our X100 cars in that the fuel pumps go bad after long term storage. You should hear the fuel pump “whirring noise” priming the fuel rails before the engine cranks.

Note you can still work on the car with a bad battery by providing power by jump leads or using the aux charge point in the engine bay... if you’re not hands on, probably best to wait until the new battery is in.
 
  #9  
Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Thanks, but I don't think Advance Auto will come to my house. I can check with them.
 
  #10  
Old 06-08-2019, 02:42 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DavidYau View Post
Another David (seems to be lots of us)

A few other things to consider as you wake your car from its hibernation with a new battery.

1. You may need reset the window travel top and bottom limits
2. You’ll need the deck radio unit’s access code
3. When you have the new battery, don’t immediately turn the key to start. Engine will rev like mad. Put key in, turn to ancillaries on, and wait for 10seconds for all control units and relays to check themselves. Turn off and then start the car.
4. Common problem with our X100 cars in that the fuel pumps go bad after long term storage. You should hear the fuel pump “whirring noise” priming the fuel rails before the engine cranks.

Note you can still work on the car with a bad battery by providing power by jump leads or using the aux charge point in the engine bay... if you’re not hands on, probably best to wait until the new battery is in.
Thanks. The window I knew. The others I'll do now. Had fuel pumps redone last Summer. Should be an interesting Monday. Turns out AAA does have a compatible battery. I'll explore with them a bit more. The service will only install its own, not another (even if better) battery. I'd be happy to spring for a local supplier to do home service. Just never havbe asked if any can do that.
 
  #11  
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 AM
GGG's Avatar
GGG
GGG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 108,826
Received 10,231 Likes on 8,412 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by david i View Post
..... I'm not hands-on. .....
David,

If you can open the luggage compartment, you can fit a battery.



From your earlier reply, you already know about resetting window travel limits etc after a battery discharge or disconnect.

Graham
 
  #12  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Yeah, with annual jump starts I caught on at least to the window thing.
 
  #13  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Dr. D's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Near Charlotte, NC
Posts: 478
Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR View Post
Go to your local Advance Auto parts. This battery fits: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

An AGM type like this is a good idea for cars that are idle off-season. They can handle the partial discharge much better. Order online and pickup and you should be able to get at least 20% off.
+1: Mine is going strong after more than 4 years. I used a coupon code for $50 off (just under $150). I also use an AGM type BatteryTender.
One last thing that I can say that Steve probably is to humble or professional to say, is that that battery works great with the Jagwrangler:
Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top
 
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-09-2019)
  #14  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 330
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zray View Post
You can't go wrong with the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Right size, good price, good warranty, and working very well for me.

it bears pointing out, you can go wrong by trying to cheap out on the battery with these cars. The electrical system does NOT tolerate drops voltage. On these cars especially, a battery tender is a smart move whenever the car is not being driven overnight or longer.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9849

Z

Would be a very funny line if it wasn't so true!
 
The following 2 users liked this post by scottatl:
DavidYau (06-09-2019), zray (06-09-2019)
  #15  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malvern, England
Posts: 1,018
Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

I am very surprised no one has mentioned the CTEK battery charger. Simple to use and very well designed. A lot of reviews and magazines recommend them. As does your Leno? Over there. I will see if I can find a Youtube video for you.

This is the much older, and bigger CTEK. Will see if I can find a newer one for you.


This is the one I have. Also recommended by Leno on another video somewhere.......


How to use it.

 

Last edited by frankc; 06-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.
  #16  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

So, I'm back in my family's hometown. Advance Auto has the battery mentioned above, but will not do installation even at their shop "pro install only" Next call to AAA which does have an appropriate battery. If I can get the car jump started, I will pursue the Platinum battery and take it to shop. If can't jump the battery (home battery pack failed), will have AAA put in new one and then consider upgrade. Thanks for info folks.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mannymux
XJS ( X27 )
3
05-28-2015 09:09 PM
LondonXK8Boy
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
10
09-12-2014 02:51 PM
Rick Padilla
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
3
08-12-2014 07:06 AM
1100me
X-Type ( X400 )
4
08-09-2014 01:49 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 XKR: Battery recommendation.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: