XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Jaguar XK8 Won't Start With New ECM Ordered From Jaguar Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2001 Jaguar XK8 Won't Start With New ECM Ordered From Jaguar Dealership

Hello, I have a 2001 XK8 coup with 101k miles on it. The car was misfiring on bank A. Numbers, 1, 2 ,3, and 4 cylinders. I had the ECM unit sent off for diagnosis to AutoECM in Grand Prairie, TX. They said after bench testing it had a faulty processor causing the O2 upstream sensor to dump more fuel causing it to idle rough. They said they couldn't fix it and shipped it back only charging me $100 to bench test it.. The Jaguar dealership ordered me a matching numbers new EMC ($1,610.00) programmed from Jaguar in the U.K. and it arrived last week after ordering it back on June 3rd. The dealership called and said they installed the new one, programmed my keys to it but it'll turn over and won't crank. They said they put my old ECM with the faulty processor back in and it'll crank and run. But again with the new programmed ECM from the UK it will turn over but won't run. What do you think is going on? They said they were going to reorder me another ECM from the UK. They seemed baffled why the new one won't start the car except saying the EMC could have been defective or dropped during shipment and was damaged. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-24-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-24-2020, 12:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,823 Likes on 12,178 Posts

I can see JLR supplying a "dealer configurable" ECM for your VIN but not one already pre-programmed to "plug & play" in the vehicle.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
bherr (08-27-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

+1

The dropped/damaged is maybe 0.1% chance as they're very rugged. If it's not badly dented it didn't happen.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
+1

The dropped/damaged is maybe 0.1% chance as they're very rugged. If it's not badly dented it didn't happen.
I didn't get to see the new EMC. So I'm just having to take their word but the EMC is warrantied since I bought it through their dealership. That's why they are ordering another one.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would have to agree that Jaguar being able to supply a pre-programmed ECM "on the bench" is unlikely. AFAIK, an ECM has to be programmed on the car's network so it can see the other modules it is connected to. In other words, I believe the dealer has to completely code the ECM, starting with the VIN, and then on to the options that were present on your particular car. Might be worth having this conversation with them before wasting a bunch of time shipping things.

Other option is to reach out to ASI (autoecu) and get their input. They often come up as a trusted repair company with apparently a ton of experience with our ECMs. The point being that your ECM is already programmed...

Old 08-24-2020, 01:23 PM

Good Morning, I received an update from the UK this morning that your module was programmed in the UK yesterday and is awaiting shipping today from the UK. I will hopefully have tracking information by Monday for this. I will reach out to you again on Monday to give you an update on your order.

Thank you
www.unipartlogistics.com Customer Service Assistant Manager, North America
Originally Posted by GGG
I can see JLR supplying a "dealer configurable" ECM for your VIN but not one already pre-programmed to "plug & play" in the vehicle.

Graham
Howdy!
This is the email I got from the person from UniPart Logistics who handled the shipment from the UK to the Jag dealership. I assumed it was pre-programmed since the parts salesman said it was brand new.

This is from July 10th above

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,823 Likes on 12,178 Posts

Unless I've missed something buried away in Jaguar SDD that isn't available directly though the user interface, a new ECM must be programmed on the vehicle and that would certainly explain why the vehicle would NOT START with the replacement but then DID START with the original refitted.

I suspect Unipart have ordered a replacement dealer configurable ECM matching your VIN range and the dealer has failed to realise this must still be programmed. They will eventually realise this but never admit it.

Graham

Steven Lenkowsky (01-09-2023)
Old 08-25-2020, 05:07 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Sheesh, if only there was some sort of garage authorised and trained by the manufacturer you could take the car to. You know they could probably charge a lot of money, may even be able to put the manufactures name over the door as they would be the experts...

oh, wait....

DavidYau (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Unless I've missed something buried away in Jaguar SDD that isn't available directly though the user interface, a new ECM must be programmed on the vehicle and that would certainly explain why the vehicle would NOT START with the replacement but then DID START with the original refitted.

I suspect Unipart have ordered a replacement dealer configurable ECM matching your VIN range and the dealer has failed to realise this must still be programmed. They will eventually realise this but never admit it.

Graham
Thanks for responding, Graham. Jeez, I guess the parts guy at the dealership didn't realize what you stated above when he originally ordered it. Surely the technician noticed the mistake and that's why they ordered me another ECM. The tech did say he had experience working with Jaguar since 1987. Also, shouldn't the guys in the UK have realized the configured part would have to installed in the car itself to be programmed so it'll crank and run and sent instructions saying so? Should I call the dealership this morning and if so what questions do I need to ask the service manager or technician? Should I ask them do they have the software (even though they programmed the keys to it) to program a 2001 XK8? Reason being is I waited almost 2 months for the part to arrive from the UK. and it was for nothing. I don't want them to make the same mistake twice when the reordered ECM comes in again.

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-25-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguar XK8er
Also, shouldn't the guys in the UK have realized the configured part would have to installed in the car itself to be programmed so it'll crank and run and sent instructions saying so?
It's been that way for 20+ years so why would they repeat instructions that have not changed...

Sadly you have a not-very-competent dealer.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's been that way for 20+ years so why would they repeat instructions that have not changed...

Sadly you have a not-very-competent dealer.
This is my first Jaguar so I didn't know it's been that way. I'm at a loss what to ask the dealership to do. It's 2 hours away from where I live so I just can't drive there on a whim. I just want my car fixed. It was running like it came off the showroom floor prior to the EMC going faulty. Apparently all they have to do is put the new one in the car and upload the software so it'll turn over and run. Hopefully Graham can give me some pointers how to proceed with the service manager.

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-25-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Received 7,900 Likes on 4,772 Posts

They need to perform an IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

Everytime you replace the ECM with another unit (new or used) you need to perform an IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

You should have just found a good-used ECM from a car with the same VCATS part no. and suffix.
An 'indie' shop with the correct diagnostic tool can perform the IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

I had a customer drill a hole right through his ECM trying to open the bonnet latch.
I found a good-used ECM and configured it to his car in about half an hour.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
They need to perform an IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

Everytime you replace the ECM with another unit (new or used) you need to perform an IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

You should have just found a good-used ECM from a car with the same VCATS part no. and suffix.
An 'indie' shop with the correct diagnostic tool can perform the IMMOBILIZATION SET-UP.

I had a customer drill a hole right through his ECM trying to open the bonnet latch.
I found a good-used ECM and configured it to his car in about half an hour.
Thanks, motorcarman. What's an Immobilization Set-up? Let me ask you something else, since the car is still at the dealership, can they still try an Immobilization Set-up on the recent new EMC I ordered from the UK? I don't know if they sent it back yet.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:41 AM
Received 7,900 Likes on 4,772 Posts

If the replacement ECM (any replacement, new or used) is installed without the immo setup, the engine will NOT start.

WDS or IDS is connected to the car.
Go to SETUP and CONFIGURATION
Security
Immobilization Setup
Follow on screen prompts.

Jon89 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If the replacement ECM (any replacement, new or used) is installed without the immo setup, the engine will NOT start.

WDS or IDS is connected to the car.
Go to SETUP and CONFIGURATION
Security
Immobilization Setup
Follow on screen prompts.
You'd think the technician at the Jaguar dealership would know this since he's been working for Jaguar since 1987. Nevertheless, your saying the Immobilization Set-up needs to be done despite the keys turning over the starter?

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-25-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Received 6,260 Likes on 5,460 Posts

I'd suggest giving the dealer this info and hopefully they still have the unit. Please keep us updated.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

You'd think the technician at the Jaguar dealership would know this since he's been working for Jaguar since 1987. Nevertheless, your saying the Immobilization Set-up needs to be done despite the keys turning over the starter?
You would sincerely hope & expect them to know. And yes.

The starter has a hefty cable which makes it awkward to interrupt if immo checks fail, whereas injectors are easy not to bother activating.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

The dealer should just talk to Jaguar in the UK and sort it out between them. That's what you're paying for, and shouldn't have to give the dealer advice from an owner's forum!

The following 2 users liked this post by bladerunner919:
DavidYau (08-25-2020), TedV (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
The dealer should just talk to Jaguar in the UK and sort it out between them. That's what you're paying for, and shouldn't have to give the dealer advice from an owner's forum!
Yes, I don't want to **** the technician off at the dealership where he won't care about fixing the car. Nevertheless, I did pay $1,600.00 for the ECM and expect them to get the car running like it was before it went faulty.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Received 6,260 Likes on 5,460 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Yes, I don't want to **** the technician off at the dealership where he won't care about fixing the car. Nevertheless, I did pay $1,600.00 for the ECM and expect them to get the car running like it was before it went faulty.
I agree but they obviously don't have a clue, I'm pretty sure Bob has given you the correct advice, I'm sure you could find a diplomatic way of suggesting that to them otherwise you will be going down the same rabbit hole when the next ECM shows up.

Last edited by Norri; 08-25-2020 at 12:45 PM.
TedV (08-26-2020)

Quick Reply: 2001 Jaguar XK8 Won't Start With New ECM Ordered From Jaguar Dealership