XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR

Old 12-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR

I actually love the look of my 2005 XKR but I'm desiring a little more reliable horsepower. The 2010 XKR with the 5 liter supercharged v8 is calling my name. The local dealer recently took one in on trade in. It's black with 33k miles on it and is lovely. I prefer a silver coupe but this one is nice too...

I test drove the car and the power and handling is heads and tails above my car. But the body lines of the 10 just doesn't compare in my opinion to the 2005 XKR. But they look as starting to grow on me and I know that I will still own a beautiful car with a performance that I'm desiring its such a tough call because I got my car at a good rate and I know that I could sell it to a neighbor for $3000 more than I paid for it.

I'm at a crossroads I really don't know what to do I want to keep my 05 because of the beautiful last generation of the car but I want the newer body style with everything it has to offer what am I going to do?!

I can't afford both... I wish I could! Should I keep my XKR and fight the bug or give in to my speed vice? Or should I just wait and by a 2011 XJR next fall or so and keep my XKR?

Juke

Old 12-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The x150 is no doubt a better car in every measurable way, but it lacks the looks and a bit of the Jaguar soul I think.

I had similar thoughts and decided to spend the difference on upgrades to increase the power. The best of both worlds, the performance and the looks.

OTOH, I wanted a project so the time and effort that goes into it is part of the fun.

There is no right answer to a dilemma like this, and no one can decide for you which aspects are more important. All I can say is that it is possible to have the power and the looks in the same package.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Juke,
As I have posted on many occasions, I have both, a 2002 XKR convertible and a 2010 XKR coupe. I love both for different reasons. Unquestionably I love the look of the first generation xK8/R better than the 2007+ models. It is more derivative of the XKE, it is smoother, lower, more sensuous and more stunning to look at, and garners more compliments than any other car I have ever had.
I even prefer the old world opulence of its interior, and the dash cover is nicer in my opinion.

Having said that, the 5.0L cars (especially the supercharged ones) have seemingly endless power, incredibly tight suspensions (that don't jiggle or get unsettled going over speed bumps, humps, or dips), have paddle shifters and a transmission that shifts almost immediately upon command, rev matching while downshifting, and seats that hug you while adjusting 87000 ways. The 20" wheel option, while filling the wheel wells nicely, does not give as good a freeway crusing ride as the 18"s of my 2002 and transmit considerable amount of noise into the cabin from the extremely low profile tires.

So both have their merits which is why I couldn't give up my 2002.

Tough choice. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf1354-1280x960-.jpg   2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf1363-1280x960-.jpg   2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
GalaxyDriver (12-27-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking 2005XKR vs 2010 XKR

Originally Posted by Juke
I actually love the look of my 2005 XKR but I'm desiring a little more reliable horsepower. The 2010 XKR with the 5 liter supercharged v8 is calling my name. The local dealer recently took one in on trade in. It's black with 33k miles on it and is lovely. I prefer a silver coupe but this one is nice too...

I test drove the car and the power and handling is heads and tails above my car. But the body lines of the 10 just doesn't compare in my opinion to the 2005 XKR. But they look as starting to grow on me and I know that I will still own a beautiful car with a performance that I'm desiring its such a tough call because I got my car at a good rate and I know that I could sell it to a neighbor for $3000 more than I paid for it.

I'm at a crossroads I really don't know what to do I want to keep my 05 because of the beautiful last generation of the car but I want the newer body style with everything it has to offer what am I going to do?!

I can't afford both... I wish I could! Should I keep my XKR and fight the bug or give in to my speed vice? Or should I just wait and by a 2011 XJR next fall or so and keep my XKR?

Juke

I would vote for upgrading the 05 XKR, after-all, you say "you are in it right", so use that equity to build what you want! (But then, I am a gearhead!) Worse case scenario, shop for a 2010XKR that someone overestimated their ability, but it and do the transplant. This would give you all the "raw" materials. Then, as Dr Frankenstein said, "it's alive!"

Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Juke,
I forgot to ask, do you take or desire to take your cars to track day events? If the answer is yes, then there really is no choice. The older generation's suspension is far too loosey goosey for even restrained much less enjoyable track driving. The 5.0L XKR's are nimble, great handling, confident and powerful cars that simply overwhelm the earlier generation's capabilities.

If, however, a short spirited run through a mountain pass or canyon road is the extent of your performance driving, then you can still have loads of fun in your 2005. As I said earlier, I love my 2002 and enjoy driving it as much as my 2010 but not for its performance capabilities, but more for its grand GT experience.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There's ALWAYS something quicker or faster.....don't throw away the heritage of your XK8/R

Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz Cat
There's ALWAYS something quicker or faster.....don't throw away the heritage of your XK8/R
+1, the X100 has class.

Mark

Old 12-26-2014, 03:07 AM

Wow, you guys make me feel like I'm the luckiest guy alive for owning my XKR. Actually that's the joy I get when I look at her. Simply amazing... but the 10' is a outright beast. I'm agreeing that our cats are special in everyway.

I have approx $5000 that I can spend on upgrades to make it faster and keep her but I'll hate to clearly void my warranty. And from what I've learned here simple bolt ons will not cut it for our cars.

Maybe I'm going thru mid life crisis in my mid 30s... Maybe I'll just spend the 5k on a nice old muscle car with a big engine to play around with. And go as fast as I want to cheap and easy.

Juke

Old 12-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I consider myself fortunate as well, not just because I can afford it, but also of the shear enjoyment I have had now for so many years and hoping for more. The shape inside and out, is still appealing to me, and on top of that my power needs are fulfilled as well ;-). There isn’t any modern car in the same price range (or even higher) that would come close to consider, most are more soulless imho (sorry, even the x150).

There are some good improvements you can make, that will not affect the GT qualities (which is prime, next to power) yet provide you with better handling and last but not least engine upgrades available can push it beyond the XKR-S power. But $5.000 in total will not do that, although you may want to reconsider that budget, as the newer cars have a yearly depreciation close to that.

Not sure what your needs are if you also consider a 2011 XJR, a total different car again. I do like that one as well, however I have no need for a saloon, and the XKR is just without any doubts the better looking one for me.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Keep the 2005. There will never be a better looking coupe than the pre 2007s. All cars beginning about that time frame look like they belong on the NASCAR race track. Don't forget about the big dips going into driveways.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
I consider myself fortunate as well, not just because I can afford it, but also of the shear enjoyment I have had now for so many years and hoping for more. The shape inside and out, is still appealing to me, and on top of that my power needs are fulfilled as well ;-). There isn’t any modern car in the same price range (or even higher) that would come close to consider, most are more soulless imho (sorry, even the x150).

There are some good improvements you can make, that will not affect the GT qualities (which is prime, next to power) yet provide you with better handling and last but not least engine upgrades available can push it beyond the XKR-S power. But $5.000 in total will not do that, although you may want to reconsider that budget, as the newer cars have a yearly depreciation close to that.

Not sure what your needs are if you also consider a 2011 XJR, a total different car again. I do like that one as well, however I have no need for a saloon, and the XKR is just without any doubts the better looking one for me.
+1 I couldn't agree with you more. The X100 style is a car that only comes along once in a great while and it's classic lines will still be appreciated long after the X150s are rusting in junk yards. Not that the X150s are bad cars but they look so much more ordinary than the X100s.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
tberg (12-27-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by avos

How much money do you need to turn my XKR into a reliable fire breathing Dragon? Because $5k ain't certainly pennies for me.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

You didn't mention the price of the '10 XKR you were looking at but I will wager it is in the 40-50k sort of range. And your 2005 would probably fetch 20k, give or take.

It will cost you the difference to get what you want.

You can buy the performance or you can build it, but you will be in for the same money either way.

If you choose to build, those with the newer cars will call you crazy for "investing" in upgrades that don't increase the car's value. If you choose to buy it, those with the older cars will call you crazy for eating the depreciation.

If you keep either car 5 years, it will end up costing you the same in real dollars, so the question really is: at the end of it, which car do you want to see in your driveway every morning?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
...so the question really is: at the end of it, which car do you want to see in your driveway every morning?
+1 Well said.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

...so the question really is: at the end of it, which car do you want to see in your driveway every morning?
No surprise here, but on the XK forum they're essentially asking him (the OP) 'which car would you rather drive every morning'. But they are saying some flattering things about our cars.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:09 PM

so the question really is: at the end of it, which car do you want to see in your driveway every morning?
Damn..... discussion made. Simple, sweet and obvious. I had a smile once I read and answered your question. Thanks!

Juke

Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Juke,
For me, the answer to that question, "Which one would you rather see sitting in your driveway, everyday?" is my 2002 XKR, period. Unfortunately, I have an emotional attachment to its shape, its curves, everything about its aesthetics....
that gives me the same pleasure today as it did when I bought it 5 years and a 100,000 miles ago. For that reason alone, I will never get rid of it, it will be passed on to my kids someday when I'm gone. Besides, what could I get for it if I got rid of it, $8000 or $9000 tops? about the same as a 10 year old soulless Camry?

And now for the big but...., there is simply no comparison in the performance driveability between the first generation cars and the newer models, especially if you're talking about the 5.0L supercharged ones. Gone is all the jiggling, the bottoming out, the (feels like) ten separate movements of the front end suspension over the smallest bumps, the hard, non-compliant shocks that ride harder than my 1972 De Tomaso Pantera's. And the rush of power flowing from that 500+hp engine is thrilling, and when coupled with a sharp shifting, paddle controlled, rev matched transmission in sport mode with dynamic performance engaged, combine to make a vibrant, super quick, fun sports car with all of the luxury of a Jaguar thrown in for good measure. That is not easy to ignore. And by the way, the newer cars are certainly not homely, they're handsome, more modern looking cars that while not quite as "classic" as ours, are certainly beautiful in their own right and far more sensuous than anything BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or Porsche have to offer.

I chose both because I wanted the beauty and the special feeling I had while driving my 2002, and the brawn of my 2010 and its capabilities that allow me to go from the street to the track and back without skipping a beat.

And finally, I think the newer generation XK/XKR's will be sorely missed once the last of the new ones are gone. The GT class has been one in which Jaguar has excelled for a long time, and one into which the F-type will not venture. At the rate of depreciation on these cars, they represent unprecedented value, quirks and all.

Drive your 2005 proudly (and then pick up a 2010-2015 when the prices capitulate).

Attached Thumbnails 2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf0403-1280x960-.jpg   2005 XKR vs 2010 XKR-dscf1241-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Well you're in a great position to be in. If I could afford the newer XKR I'll go for it in a great beat. The style of the car especially the coupe has made me a fan.

I love the old XKR styling more but the benefits of the new car overall would push me to that side IF price wasn't an option.

But you are a lucky guy. You own a car I want soooooo go by the newer cat and sell me your ride with warranty for $17500 today! Forum discount right?.....