XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed surging when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 6 speed surging when cold

I've read much about it. Mine is doing it when it's cold and goes away after it warms up. Maybe 5-10 miles. Why is this. It was doing it for about 2-3 miles but when I had the fluid and filter changed it got worse. The surging happens when cruising in 5th and 6th.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Loxmth
I had the fluid and filter changed it got worse.
Can you provide details about the fluid change? What fluid did you use (ZF LifeGuard6 or Mercon SP or Jaguar)? Was this done by a reputable place (there is a very specific temperature-based refill procedure)? Is there an event that led you to this fluid change, or is it general maintenance?

If all of this was done right, one option is to reach out to the dealer (or independent with the right software tools) and perform a re-set of the transmission adaptations. Could be an hour labor, it involves driving the car through a set of specific steps, as guided by the diagnostic software. When this is done, the transmission is set to re-adapt the shifting for the next 100 miles (re-learn the specifics of _your_transmission), and quite possibly smooth everything out. As usual, there is no guarantee, especially if there is any kind of underlying condition. Those same software tools would be able to also read any type of fault codes from any of the control modules and point you into another direction.

Once down that path, the dealer can also possibly update the TCM software itself if there is a version newer than yours. Folks also have mentioned that ECM software updates have smooth shifting as well.

Have you had any codes come out recently, especially ABS/traction control? These systems are all connected and shifting rely on a number of inputs seemingly unrelated to the transmission.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
MediaBobNY (07-08-2017)
Old 11-12-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Can you provide details about the fluid change? What fluid did you use (ZF LifeGuard6 or Mercon SP or Jaguar)? Was this done by a reputable place (there is a very specific temperature-based refill procedure)? Is there an event that led you to this fluid change, or is it general maintenance?

If all of this was done right, one option is to reach out to the dealer (or independent with the right software tools) and perform a re-set of the transmission adaptations. Could be an hour labor, it involves driving the car through a set of specific steps, as guided by the diagnostic software. When this is done, the transmission is set to re-adapt the shifting for the next 100 miles (re-learn the specifics of _your_transmission), and quite possibly smooth everything out. As usual, there is no guarantee, especially if there is any kind of underlying condition. Those same software tools would be able to also read any type of fault codes from any of the control modules and point you into another direction.

Once down that path, the dealer can also possibly update the TCM software itself if there is a version newer than yours. Folks also have mentioned that ECM software updates have smooth shifting as well.

Have you had any codes come out recently, especially ABS/traction control? These systems are all connected and shifting rely on a number of inputs seemingly unrelated to the transmission.

The right procedure for the change was done as to the fluid I'm not sure. I know it was not the Mercon SP as we spoke about changing fluid only once or twice more with it. I did have a trans fault a couple of times before the fluid change and it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd. It went away after a hard reset and we found a loose connection in the block near the spare tire. At this time there is a DSC fault. He tried to figure out what it is but his reader won't tell him exactly what the problem is. Not sure if he is able to do the TCM/trans update.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I had a german shop service the trans once. They used Red Line fluid. I was never convinced they set the fluid level right or that the Red line was truly suitable. But they did bunches of 6HP26 trannies on BMWs and Mercs, so I let them use it.

Afterward, the surging was quite bad and there were other problems that I'd never had before. I did another service myself 10 or 20 thousand miles later. I used Mercon SP and meticulously set the fluid level. I barely have any cold morning surging now and all the other anomalies are gone. Read my thread on the experience. Search for Mercon SP.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Loxmth
I did have a trans fault a couple of times before the fluid change and it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd. At this time there is a DSC fault.
I would definitely focus on getting this DSC issue resolved. Typically, it involves getting the right code reader that can interrogate the control module beyond standard OBD. These modules are pretty good at pointing you in the right direction. If you get to find out, feel free to post them here.

Barring that, check and clean all 4 ABS sensors. All it takes is removing each wheel and remove the screw holding the sensor. The sensor can then be cleaned. Also, while there, check the reluctor rings, especially on the driver/rear as it serves as road speed for the transmission shifting logic. There have been reports of these rings coming loose and reporting all kinds of codes, including putting the transmission in limp-home mode. The ring needs to be solid with the axle.

Loxmth (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully your is not a sign of a PCM failure like ours; we have surging in 5th and 6th at all temps and have learned to live with it due to the $4k+ estimate to replace TCM. Driving with the trans in 4th or 5th around town helps.

Going to do a trans fluid change soon as the "moaning" from the trans is getting worse.

Can't say this car does not have "character"!!!!

Loxmth (11-14-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

With regard to the DSC failures. I found that every time I cleaned my sensors the warnings went away, ... for awhile. It was easy to believe that dirty sensors was the cause and cleaning things made them better. However, it was merely the act of disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor that was making the difference.
It wasn't dirt on the sensors - it was the electrical contacts within the front connectors. There were two factors:
1: The pins weren't as tight within the connector as they could have been. I bent them ever so slightly, so that they'd be pressured against the inside of their female receptacles. And I filled the connectors with electrical grease.
2. Jaguar didn't leave enough slack in the wires from the upper control to the wheel hub. At full lock turn, the wires were being pulled from their connectors. I cut the OEM tie-wraps and repositioned the wires 1" closer to the wheels.

I haven't had a warning in over a year and 20K+ miles of driving. You can easily get to the fronts by just turning the wheel out. No tire removal necessary.

Last edited by scardini1; 11-13-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Loxmth (11-14-2016)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Loxmth,

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm suffering the same surging with the same attempted repairs you did.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

May be the well-known torque converter thing for which there's no viable fix (unless you count replacement). Seems pretty harmless.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Steve-in-ct
Loxmth,

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm suffering the same surging with the same attempted repairs you did.
Nope. Heard some talk about reflashing the trans computer and changing to the Ford fluid. Got another problem worse then that. I've posted many times about it but no help.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Mine still does it very slightly when cold. Oddly, it is "not" worse in the winter months. Pretty much the same, year 'round. It did lessen substantially after I changed out the fluid to Mercon SP. I have another fluid change coming up - maybe it will improve again.