Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 XK8 will not start with new battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XK8 will not start with new battery

Hello all and a Happy New Year.
i have a 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible with 50,000 miles. The car is green and tan and is pretty sharp. However, the last few weeks, it has frustrated me to no end. I don't drive the car much so subsequently, i'm on my 3rd battery in as many years. I just replaced the battery again with a new one that registers approximately 12.5 volts. The car is parked on an incline (if that matters). When i insert the key and turn it, all lights go on showing full power but does not click or turn over. I moved the shifter to neutral, following other bits of advice seen on this forum and still no luck. I tried changing the batteries in the key fob and still no luck. Does anyone have a trick that would work or is a trip to a Jaguar mechanic inevitable at this point?
As a side note, the level of expertise on this forum is always impressive and i end up reading issues that don't even pertain to me so I'm very glad to be part of this forum.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

A car that is not often driven can suffer corrosion of the ground connections, particularly the ground strap at the lower right rear of the engine to the frame.But you may have to check all connections, both +/- starting from the battery. The remote has nothing to do with starting the car and the 97 does not have a chip in the key, so that's one problem out of the way. You really should have a battery maintainer, even a solar one would work if the car is parked outdoors.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 PM

I want to thank you for clearing up the part about the key remote. That’s a separate topic but I’ve changed the batteries twice and it still won’t work.
I have been struggling with this problem for a few weeks. The car started a bout three weeks ago. I started it but did not drive it, which was dumb of me. The next time, is when this issue began. I checked all the connections that are obvious to me and cleaned them all. It feels like a lockout of some sort. A friend said that it sounds like a main computer problem. It’s strange that all light go on the dash and the power is there but no clicking and no engine crank.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM

By the way. I bought a battery tender a couple of days ago when I purchased my new battery. I did not hook it up yet because I was focused on starting the jag.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

With this problem, first thing I would do is check the tightness of the ground connections on battery and the the trunk wall (there are a couple in addition to the one from the battery.) These may be behind the trunk lining. My lining is removed so I don't recall if there is an opening in the lining.

Second thing to test (if it were me), if the first doesn't work, is to place a Volt-Ohmmeter or circuit tester across the big fuses in the "power module." I think that's what they call it...it's the small box in the trunk that connects to the battery with two sets of large capacity fuses.

Third, I would look at all relevant small fuses (should be identified on the top of the trunk fuse box).

Fourth, I'd swap relevant relays, identified by schematic. (You should be able to find one in the forum or a link to a schematic.)

Fifth, make sure the big wire strap that connects to the transmission is attached. (I say fifth, because I don't like to roll around on the ground, but that's just me.)

Sixth: Call an Indy mechanician.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2019, 01:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb 97 XK8 will not start with new battery

I'm certainly no mechanic, and I have the utmost respect for those on this site who have enlightened me over the last several years. Still, I wonder why no one has suspected a solenoid/starter issue here. In my old days, no click (from the solenoid) and no turnover from the starter suggested that they were probably defective, or were not getting power to them. Wouldn't a simple multimeter reading at the solenoid confirming that it is being supplied with power be in order? And, my son-in-law solved a similar problem recently on his Buick SUV by hitting the starter with a hammer (Old school - apparently dead spot in the starter).

Love my 2006 XK8 convertible with 100,000 miles on it.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I completely agree with all the above but two more things to try..............

Put the car in Neutral then try, it could be the switch in the gear lever system that thinks the car is still in gear so it wont start.

Open the bonnet/hood. If your standing in the same direction as the car on the right hand side there is a black box. Remove the cover. Underneath you should see some Brown relays in the shape of a T. If you look at the diagram below you will see the fuel pump relay. Just swap it over with another one of the brown ones you know is working. Then try again.

Whilst searching for the above diagram for you I came across this one, take a look at 10

Last edited by frankc; 01-08-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Default 97 xk8 will not start with new battery

I wrote a reply yesterday but somehow got lost in the forum probably due to me not posting it in the right place.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I tried many of the things suggested on this thread and many others that i read in the last few days/week. Nothing has worked so far and i may be taking the car to a Jaguar mechanic (ouch). i will keep all interested parties informed of what happens.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Don't take it to a dealer.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Have you checked the brake switch?

Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Do you mean the handbrake switch. FYI. The hand brake handle went limp after i "unstuck" the brake that was stuck on.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

No, the switch off the brake pedal. Not sure if there is a safety feature where your foot needs to be on the brake for the starter to engage. If the brake is faulty, the car may refuse to start. You can do a quick test and (gently) press and release the brake pedal several times to get a bit of life back in the switch. Or not...

Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

If the brake lights do not come on when you depress the pedal with the ignition on, that could be the problem.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 PM

Same thing happened to me recently on my 2001 XKR. I checked and rechecked battery charge and voltage levels throughout the chassis. Everything was always in order but all I would get is a "click" when trying to start the engine. The car had started just fine a week ago, but I had let the battery drain down while working on the roof wiring harness, and after recharge it would not crank. Turns out there was a little 5A fuse in the driver's side facia fusebox that blew when I charged the battery. That fuse (#6) powers the key transponder. Replaced the fuse and it instantly started. Attached is the applicable page from the roadside emergency manual:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fascia Fuses Drivers Side.pdf (23.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:17 PM

To all that have made suggestions, i finally brought the car to a Jag shop. I will get back on this thread once i find out what was wrong.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried them all.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM

First update, to those interested. I got a call from the shop today letting me know what their repair path is. The service guy said that there is no communication between the car and the communication module. They will be sending that part out for repair. Apparently this part goes bad from a power surge.
I will continue to update, if this is appropriate, as information becomes avavilable.
In the meantime, if anyone can opine on this preliminary diagnosis, it would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Mmmm. I'm curious as to what exactly is meant by 'the communication module', and also what led the service guy to this diagnosis (methodology, codes, etc).

Old 01-21-2019, 01:59 PM

i posted an update to this issue yesterday but i do not see it on the forum. does anyone know how this happens. am i doing something wrong? i'm just trying to keep anyone interested in the results of this dilema.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe they mean the ECU, but I would think a jag shop (dealer/indie?) would know the correct term.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:15 PM

The shop did indentify the part as the ECU (engine control module). the word is that it is fatal for a car of this value. does anyone have any idea as to how to overcome sending this beautiful cat the the trash heap?

Quick Reply: 97 XK8 will not start with new battery