Sponsored by:

AC blowing half cold/half hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:20 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Default AC blowing half cold/half hot

The center AC vents now blow left side cold, right side warm. The AC does not seem as cold as it was.

Curious as I did 2 things:

1 - Are there any temperature/AC sensors in the upper console? I just mounted a mic in there like this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...onsole-145758/

2 - The other day I had the system cleaned with the BG Flush

Could be unrelated, but before I start driving myself mad, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
dsd

Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

The center vent has no regulation for temputure between sides. It is fed by a common duct.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
The center AC vents now blow left side cold, right side warm.
Mine does the same. I ended up doing basic detective work, but have not gotten around to fixing it. The system has 2 blowers. I ended up unplugging the fuses for the blowers, one at a time (driver side door jamb/facia). The driver side seemed fine (the cold side), but the passenger side seemed "blocked". The blower works (motor ok), can be adjusted for speed (resistor/transistor ok), the fresh/recirc works, but the air flow sounds different. It sounds like there is an obstruction of some kind in the duct between the blower and the air box. Or is it a leak? The next step I believe is to remove the glove box and follow the noises.

In the meantime, I refilled the system with a cheap gauge/can from the parts store. It restored the cooling ability on the driver side (ice cold), but the passenger side is still warmish.

There is a PDF around that can guide you through running the diagnostics from the control panel. It can show codes for specific errors. It did not point me to anything. The asymmetry is the symptoms steers me away from individual sensors, etc. It has to be related to the passenger side blower and duct. Let me know if any of this makes sense, and what you come up with.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Thanks! At least I know I didn't block a sensor in the upper console. I wonder if the cleaning unmasked a leak that was clogged with goo :-)

I will keep you all posted but keep suggestions coming in, they are appreciated.

Thanks
dsd

Old 09-08-2016, 03:16 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Checked codes. There was a 23 and 44. I cleared those as I don't know there provenance and they have not returned (showing 0). I assume if these were still issues these would be rethrown?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW, when that happened on my truck, I had a freon leak. As the gas dissipated, the vents became as you described.
Changing the hose and new freon was the fix.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

If there are two blowers, one for the cold deck and one for the hot deck, then the air has to be 'mixed' at some point to reach the desired temperature ranges in-between Maximum A/C, and Maximum Heat settings. Is there not a 'Damper Mixing Door' further inside that should close off completely, one way or the other, if you want only the coldest, or hottest air possible, and bypass this mixing box? If this Damper Door sticks in a partially closed/opened position, the hot deck air will bleed into the system in Maximum A/C mode, when it should be completely closed off, introducing the warmer air.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
If there are two blowers, one for the cold deck and one for the hot deck...
There is one blower per side, one driver side, one passenger side. Each one pushes air into the main box. The air then flows over the A/C evaporator, then the heater matrix. From there, there are flapper doors that direct the air around to the various outlets. The thing is that those flapper doors act on the entire air flow as they are across the entire air box. There is no left or right flapper. So, the armchair analysis suggests that the right/cold, left/warm is somehow caused by the separate feeds not doing the same thing. This is sort of confirmed by turning each blower off individually (pulling fuses) and listening for air flow. Driver side is plentiful and quiet, the passenger side is weak and noisy. Time to open this up, I suppose...