XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Wheel Speed Sensor Quality ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts
Default Aftermarket Wheel Speed Sensor Quality ?

The 4.2 XK8/XKR (and perhaps the 4.0 as well) uses the XR822753 wheel speed sensor on all four corners. So does my 2005 S-Type 3.0. Our local Jaguar parts department just now quoted me $258 each which is absolutely insane for this simple little device. SNG Barratt sells an aftermarket version for $60 each (before our 10% forum member discount is applied). I have had one of those on the right rear wheel of my 2005 S-Type for two years now and it continues to function perfectly....

On ebay I see vendors offering 4 of the aftermarket wheel speed sensors for less than $50 for the entire set. Some sets come with a 1-year warranty, some sets come with a 30-day warranty. These are all advertised as brand-new. I would bet that they are Chinese knock-offs, but I would not be surprised if the SNG Barratt aftermarket version is also sourced from China....

Has anyone here tried one of these $50 ebay sets? If so, how long have you had them on your vehicle and have they functioned properly with no spurious codes being thrown?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't vouch for the long term performance, but I recently bought a wheel sensor on ebay for my 2001 XK8 for £12 with free p&p. Although it claimed to be from the UK, I could tell from the vendor's details that it was likely to be Chinese. It turned out to come from Hong Kong. Since fitting it I have covered close to 1,000 miles and it has been fine. I have not had any spurious codes.

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Likewise, I cannot vouch for any particular E-Bay item but I have one (1) of the back up sensors on rear and and E-Bay A/M MAF sensor that has performed well for a year now. $15 for the B/U Sensor (Chinese vendor) and $18 for the MAF is not too much to try. Would not hesitate to try these inexpensive items and would probably try a set of less expensive coils also. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The following 2 users liked this post by kstevusa:
Jon89 (02-14-2018), RJ237 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Has anyone here tried one of these $50 ebay sets?
There are limitations and edge cases to everything, but eBay sellers with high sales count tend to treat their feedback like gold. To me, feedback 99% and above indicates a pretty reliable vendor. These guys are not going to throw that away with a batch of quick sales of garbage parts. So check the feedback, especially the bad ones. Even if you get problem parts, these vendors will likely make it right. Worst case, you pay shipping, which has to be cheap for this. I have taken "risks" on _new_ eBay parts like these before, and have yet to be burned. Just my thoughts.

Jon89 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback. My wife's 2006 XK8 is intermittently triggering a C1155 code which is a front left speed sensor circuit failure. I suspect the harness connections simply need to be separated and cleaned again with electrical contact cleaner spray along with using Reverend Sam's toothbrush-scrubbing technique on the sensor itself. That has always cleared up the intermittent ABS dashboard warnings on her car in the past. But it is good to know that some of you have experienced excellent results with the cheap ebay sensors. If I wind up needing one, I will go that route. Thanks again....

Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would say start by swapping the sensors left-to-right and see if the code changes to follow the sensor. As you said, it is more likely the harness...

Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

..... On ebay I see vendors offering 4 of the aftermarket wheel speed sensors for less than $50 for the entire set. Some sets come with a 1-year warranty, some sets come with a 30-day warranty. These are all advertised as brand-new. I would bet that they are Chinese knock-offs, but I would not be surprised if the SNG Barratt aftermarket version is also sourced from China.....
The important consideration for me when looking at spares options is that a replacement part is either OE or equivalent. That's very different from just fitting with no guarantee of standards or performance.

I'd be equally amazed if the OE Jaguar sensors didn't originate in China regardless of what it may say on the label.

The S N G Barratt aftermarket version probably does too but I'd be spending my money either with Jaguar or this respected aftermarket parts supplier safe in the knowledge that if it does go wrong, there's a better probability of replacement or refund than from some unknown ebay seller.

Having stoked things up, I'm off now to don my flame suit.

Graham

Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

fmertz,

I do not yet suspect the sensor because the issue is intermittent. I can clear the code and the amber ABS dashboard icon may stay dark for days. Or it may illuminate and then turn off again within a mile or two of driving. Or it may clear by turning off the ignition, waiting 30 seconds or so, and then restarting the ignition. My previous experience with this fault has always been a dirty sensor or dirty sensor connection at the wiring harness. If I get to the point where I suspect the sensor, I will indeed swap it to another wheel position and see if the fault code follows the swap. No point buying a new sensor until the current one proves to be faulty....

Graham,

No need to don a flame suit. If I decide to roll the dice with a 100%-rated ebay seller, I can order just one sensor for $12 to $15. I think that would be worth the gamble even if I cannot get a refund. Several folks here have reported good success with the Chinese cheapees. I just despise paying $60 to anyone when the $15 ebay version may indeed be up to the job. And by the way, the Jaguar supply chain accountant responsible for pricing their version at $258 each should be marched out behind the barn and shot before sundown....

Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. My wife's 2006 XK8 is intermittently triggering a C1155 code which is a front left speed sensor circuit failure. I suspect the harness connections simply need to be separated and cleaned again with electrical contact cleaner spray along with using Reverend Sam's toothbrush-scrubbing technique on the sensor itself. That has always cleared up the intermittent ABS dashboard warnings on her car in the past. But it is good to know that some of you have experienced excellent results with the cheap ebay sensors. If I wind up needing one, I will go that route. Thanks again....
Testing for circuit resistance at the ABS pump plug will tease out any issues, all 4 circuits should be within an ohm or 2 of each. There is a pin out diagram on jagrepair dotcom , dead easy. Normally its the fronts that go first as the hole that they fit in corrodes and crushes the sensor. The rears fit in an alloy housing so corrosion isn't an issue

Jon89 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Yesterday afternoon my wife reported that the amber ABS dashboard warning light began staying illuminated constantly while she was driving her car. My i930 scanner showed the same C1155 code pointing to the left front wheel speed sensor. So I jacked up the front end, pulled the left front wheel, then removed and cleaned the front left speed sensor using Reverend Sam's toothbrush-scrubbing technique. The last time all four wheel speed sensors were removed and cleaned was early last April. I also sprayed a bit of electrical contact cleaner into the wiring harness plug and let it dry for a few minutes before reinstalling the sensor. I then used my i930 to once again clear the code....

A 10-mile test-drive with plenty of stops and starts proved to be drama-free. We shall see if that continues as the car will probably do 300 miles or so this week....