Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air in cooling system? -tanngo

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts
Default Air in cooling system? -tanngo

So, I just received an email from our friend Luigi (tanggo) from Argentina. He asked me the following:

Originally Posted by tanngo
Hola amigo , necesito una ayuda y me cuesta hacerlo en idioma inglés , podrías ayudarme ?
Hoy salí a la ruta con 2001 xkr , 20 mil millas . Termostato cambiado hace unos meses . Revise los niveles y estaban Ok . Me llamo la atención que en frío al destapar refrigerante bidón sentí un puff de presion ... En frío . Nivel Ok . Le hice 30 km en ruta fuerte ... Y me encontré con luz refrigerante bajo ..recién comprobé y bajo , Datos adicionales .. Hace unos días solucione una pequeña fuga por las mangueras que entran a reservorio , cambie las abrazaderas , termostato nuevo hace 1000 millas , pérdidas no veo ninguna .. Mi pregunta es ... Es normal escuchar ese puff en frío .. ?? Tengo aire en sistema ? Gracias
Here's the translation:

Originally Posted by Translation
Hi pal. Today I had a trip on my '01 XKR with 20k miles. I had changed the thermostat a few months back. I checked the coolant levels and they were ok. What caught my attention is that when I opened the coolant reservoir when the car was cold, I felt a puff of pressure. The level was ok. After 30 km of hard driving (I think that's what he means), I was greeted by the low coolant message. I checked the coolant level and indeed it was low. Additional data: a few days ago I fixed a small leak on the hoses that go into the reservoir, I changed the clamps and I swapped in a new thermostat about 1000 miles ago. My question is: Is it normal to hear a puff when engine and cooling system is cold? Could I have air in my cooling system? Thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The cooling system is low volume and high circulation rate to achieve a fast warm up.

With the thermostat closed, coolant returns directly to the pump through the bypass on the thermostat housing. With the thermostat open, coolant returns to the pump via the radiator.

As the cooling system warms up, coolant expands and excess goes from the Expansion Tank to the Atmospheric Recovery Bottle in the front wing under positive pressure. As the system cools down, the coolant contracts and fluid is drawn back from the Atmospheric Recovery Bottle into the Expansion Tank to maintain the correct level.

With a completely cold engine, there should be no excess pressure in the system.

Graham

Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, I understand .. is the first time I feel a puff ... slight air pressure, water movement .... after driving and low liquid .. google traductor

español --- ok , entiendo , es la primera vez que siento puff... al abrir la tapa . leve aire , agua en movimeinto , luego conducir unos km y liquido bajo nivel . no veo fugas , termostato nuevo , hace poco cambiar abrazaderas por pequeñas fugas en tanque de expansion ...

gracias giandaniel .

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

You could have some air in the system after fitting the new thermostat.

Did you fit it with the 'pin' at the top, like this:

Air in cooling system? -tanngo-thermostat-giggle-pin.jpg

This helps air to bleed.

Graham

Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, this started I do, after removing a few small leaks in hoses ... 200 cm3 were missing me. I will complete and test ... ok thermostat. air may be so long in system ....