Sponsored by:

Announcing 2003-2006 XKR XJR High Flow Catalyst Downpipes $710

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Announcing 2003-2006 XKR XJR High Flow Catalyst Downpipes $710

Hello Everyone!

Great news - we got some lift time with a 2004 XKR and were able to develop a number of products for the 2004-2006 XKR, starting with high flow cats being released today and a few exhaust configurations to follow. So...

We’re proud to offer our Nameless Performance Factory Fit Performance Downpipes for the 2nd Generation Jaguar XKR and XJR Supercharged V8 Coupe and Sedan. Configurable with 200 cell catalytic converter or full-race catless design for your days out at the track, these superior quality components also feature a reasonable price tag at $789/set - over $2000 less than a factory set and a whole lot less than the competition.

For JaguarForums.com members, use the checkout code JAGFORUMDP (all caps) for 10% off - a $79 savings per set for the first ten sets sold. Beyond that, we will return to our 5% discount rate for forum members.

Features:
  • CNC Mandrel Bent T304 Stainless Tubing w/ Optional Brushed Finish
  • 3/8" Thick CNC Laser Cut T304 Stainless Plate Flanges
  • CNC Machined T304 Oxygen Sensor Fittings
  • T304 Stainless Factory Location Gusset Brackets.
  • Weld Studs on Manifold Connection for Ease of Assembly.
  • Upper and Lower Heavy Duty .090 Copper Gaskets and all hardware included.

Configurations:
  • Track Pipe: Track days only, consult with local authorities before installing on street driven vehicle. This configuration removes both catalytic converters for off-road use only.
  • 200 Cell Catalyst: Featuring a spun metallic honeycomb design to prevent fatigue cracking seen in ceramic units, these cats flow massive amounts compared to the factory design and still do a fine job at meeting emissions standards and avoiding check engine lights. Unlike factory catalysts, these do not use expanded vermiculite packing material that can be blown out by the high exhaust gas temperatures of the Supercharged XKR/XJR engine.

Here's a quote from one of our customers regarding his installation of our catalysts for the previous generation XKR:

"I am replacing the stock catalytic converters with with 200 cell high flow cats from Nameless Performance. Without a doubt the configuaration and design of the stock cats is the most restrictive portion of the exhaust.

Here are photos of the NP cats next to the stock units. You can see how much less restrictive the NP design is. Add the reduced cells/inch count vs. the stock units to also improving the exhaust flow, along the special pricing offered by NP, made this any easy decision as the first performance mod to my car.

The NP units are really well made and fit perfectly in place when I test fit them."

We're stomping at the pedal to start cranking these out, get em while they're hot. Nameless Performance 2003-2006 XKR Downpipes

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

A few questions. Will these impact California cars in terms of being CARB legal and passing smog inspection? What is involved in the install--would this be a 15 minute job for a muffler shop? Finally, what are benefits (horsepower/torque/mileage) if replacing only the cats in an otherwise stock XKR?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Doug,

Alldata, a commonly used shop rate calculator shows this to be a two hour job. I think a competent tech could easily do it in two hours. I would not trust this job to a national chain muffler shop unless you personally know the tech you are working with. That being said, I know of a lot of local independent exhaust shops who would be perfectly capable of doing the job.

You shouldn't see any change in mileage using this design, and horsepower should go up more than 11hp at the wheels. The reason I say this is that both our track pipe and catalyst dyno tests for the 1st generation XKR showed 11hp gains at the wheels, and the 2nd generation XKR has a more restrictive catalyst design (both in the hard exit transition and the inlet bend). To give you an idea of how much better these units flow, the entire casting of the inlet on the factory catalyst could fit inside the open area in our pipe. And the casting is .25" thick. And has a massive creased bend angle in it. I'll try to go out and snap some photos today or tomorrow and post them up.

Additionally, both of our first generation baseline dyno tests were done on vehicle that had already been modified with catback exhausts. From our experience, the removal of restrictions in the exhaust system adds power to a point of diminishing returns. Because of this we chose two modified vehicles to use in order to baseline our power gains - in an effort to be as conservative as possible.

As for California and CARB inspection, I am a little fuzzy on this. So, our catalysts have the CARB approval stamp on the boxes, but from what I know, any catalyst that uses the words high flow or performance in the marketing description are illegal in CA. I have yet to get a tangible response from CARB in regard to the use of a CARB approved universal catalyst that is then assembled to fit a vehicle. As an example, if the catalytic converter in Bob's 1989 Plymouth Voyager goes out, Bob goes to Midas, has them order up a universal cat and weld it into the pipe where the factory cat was. Effectively, this is what we are providing in a turnkey solution for the XKR. From what I can gather though, if we are selling an off the shelf product, they may look at it differently.

Tough call. Personally I'd be happiest never selling a catalyst into California, because I'm fearful of dealing with the regulatory zombie that is CARB.

Jason

Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

It depends on the shop that you go to when you get the smog inspection that is required every couple of years. But things like headers that are 'easily' spotted on a visual could trigger a fail. But if everything basically looks okay visually, and if the readings are all within permissible, then the car passes.

I would think that, once installed, your cat/downpipes end up looking more or less stock (if the technician can even see them) and I would also guess that emission readings are not negatively impacted.

Doug

Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  19.3 KB

another great looking product Jason....get em while they're hot with the bigger discount guys

Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

How different are the 4.2 cats from the 4.0 cats? I thought they were identical, but it looks like the brackets are different, although the cats themselves look the same. Basically, I'm trying to find out if your earlier cats will fit work in an 05 XKR with a Macleod exhaust.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

I guess what I would also like to see are some hard numbers from a dyno run. Most of the aftermarket goodies that were offered for my Corvette had pretty good documentation of actual measured performance differences for stock versus whatever goody was being touted.

I am far from an expert but I had heard many times that a significant reduction in exhaust backpressure can actually reduce low-end torque but ultimately increase peak horsepower.

Is this the case for these downpipe/cats? Again, actual torque and horsepower charts across the rpm range comparing a stock vehicle with one that has the downpipe upgrade would be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I can pretty much guarantee that these cats are more restrictive than the 2000-2002 variants in that they have a far more restrictive bend in the upper neck. We made 11hp at the wheels with both the high flow cats and track pipes in that application. Such similarities I am confident going with those results. I'd be willing to put $50 toward a baseline or modified dyno run to anyone who collects both runs, but honestly, based on the similarity of engines, engine management and the fact that the 2003-2006 is more restrictive (I will post photos of the upper casting to give example), I'm confident that claiming 11hp at the wheels on the later model vehicles is conservative.

One other note, both tests that resulted in 11hp gains on the 2000-2002 XKR were done with a baseline of factory cats and performance exhaust. Because the removal of exhaust restriction produces asymptotic gains, doing baselines with a performance exhaust is also conservative relative to doing a full factory baseline with the gains of only one performance modifier in the exhaust system.

I'll dig up steve and brian's dyno charts on the two first gen cars with our cats onboard vs. factory cats.

Jason

Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SteveM
How different are the 4.2 cats from the 4.0 cats? I thought they were identical, but it looks like the brackets are different, although the cats themselves look the same. Basically, I'm trying to find out if your earlier cats will fit work in an 05 XKR with a Macleod exhaust.
They are not the same. They are VERY close, but the brackets are different, the clocking and exit flange are in slightly different location and the flanges are different. Additionally, the outlet pipe is not as long, meaning the face of the flange is further toward the front of the car than the earlier generation flange location. Because of this difference, we chose to use the 45 degree outlet catalyst body for optimal flow.

I know who you're talking about with the Macleod exhaust and our 1st gen cats, we're just going to swap out a set of these for him free of charge and get a set of simple stub pipes dialed in so that you can hook the two together pretty easily. Should work out great!

J

Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by nameless
As for California and CARB inspection, I am a little fuzzy on this. So, our catalysts have the CARB approval stamp on the boxes, but from what I know, any catalyst that uses the words high flow or performance in the marketing description are illegal in CA. I have yet to get a tangible response from CARB in regard to the use of a CARB approved universal catalyst that is then assembled to fit a vehicle.

From what I can gather though, if we are selling an off the shelf product, they may look at it differently.
Too difficult to send them a registered letter?

Last edited by xenophobe; 05-06-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions tests

thanks for the new product; what is your experience in emission tests? I put some high flow cats on my Porsche 928 S4 and every year have hassle getting it through the test.