XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ABS/Trac Light Scenario

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another ABS/Trac Light Scenario

Recently I've been wrestling with an intermittent ABS/Trac light warning.
Checked battery-healthy. Cleaned Wheel sensors ala the good Rev Sam (they were filthy so I assumed mission accomplished after cleaning)..but to know avail. The ABS light does not come on at startup, and when warnings are illuminated, a shutdown and restart will clear. After culling all the wisdom so generously shared by all on the forum, I eventually realized the light is triggered when I crank the steering wheel full left. As I don't have a code reader that will tell me which wheel, I'm at somewhat of a loss as to which wheel is causing the problem. Me thinks it might be the right front. Prior posts seem to indicated problems in the harness, yet while cleaning I didn't see any obvious indications. Help Mr. Wizard!!
The patient is a 98 vert.
Thanks all.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Platinummaker,

Without getting codes read, you really are shooting in the dark when it comes to diagnosing this fault.

That said:

I had the same issue with my XK. Eventually I took her into the dealer and they determined the fault was caused by the wiring from ABS sensor on front wheels (both sides).

At full lock the wire pulls at the connection if there is not enough slack and this triggers fault light. The wires are zip tied to control arm, try removing zip ties and see if this alleviates issue (you can do this without taking wheel off). If so, great, put on some new zip ties allowing enough slack and enjoy.

With you getting the fault at full left lock, I would suggest the left side is the culprit.

Another cause could be a break in the cable due to flexing. You can buy replacements from the dealer. I removed my cable and spliced in some wires soldering the joints and covering with electrical tape and heat shrink wrap.

The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (11-21-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

You've narrowed it down to just a few suspects, as Dave said. Now: how to tell which side ...

First thing I'd try is to wiggle the harness section that leads to one of the front sensors in an attempt to trigger a fault. With luck, this will work on one side of the car, but not the other. Or ... you could do a resistance check to each of the front sensors while exercising the steering lock-to-lock (the procedure is in the stickys somewhere).

So let's say we find out which side. Then we're down to a broken wire or stressed connectors. (It's been reported that the wires inside these sections can fail while things looks fine from the outside, so we can't rule that out.) Clean and re-seat the connectors, re-do the zip ties per Dave's post, see what happens. If no joy, it's very likely a broken wire inside.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I would buy a link harness and (Carefully) replace one side (pick one).

Save the old harness and if the fault returns, You picked the wrong side OR....................
They are BOTH faulty?????

bob gauff

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM

Guys,
Thanks for all your help. I will be attempting to remedy said warning lights this weekend and will advise of my findings. Bob as you have suggested I will probably purchase a new link and keep in the ready position.
Thanks again

Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks so much for your guidance on my recent ABS warning light scenario. As you suggested, left front wire harness the culprit. With hard left turn to lock, harness would tighten enough to cause intermittent disconnect and corresponding light. Cut tie wraps, repositioned cable and installed new tie wraps...problem solved, mission accomplished and now Miller Time.
Thanks again especially Dave, Dennis and Motorcarman.

Davebc (11-24-2013)