XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put all new seats in that were different color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone put all new seats in that were different color?

I have my eye on a nice black on black 98. The only problem is I don't like black interior. There is a local guy on craigslist parting out his wrecked XK8 that has tan interior. Was thinking of getting the BoB and just swapping out the seats. Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I fully understand your aversion to black seats, particularly in hot-weather climates. But if you do indeed install tan seats, be sure to store your original seats for reinstallation when you decide to sell the car. The vast majority of potential buyers will require a matching interior....

Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I fully understand your aversion to black seats, particularly in hot-weather climates. But if you do indeed install tan seats, be sure to store your original seats for reinstallation when you decide to sell the car. The vast majority of potential buyers will require a matching interior....
My thought was to replace the carpet as well. Not sure how difficult it is to replace the back seat, does it just pop out?

OR I just stick with the BoB and not worry about it.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Quite easy to do, just depends how easy the bolts come undone on the seat runners.... The tread plate cover can be a pig sometimes but there is plenty of info on here

If you go for a 2 tone look get the door cards as well and swap the cappings that way you could get away without changing the carpet

Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Quite easy to do, just depends how easy the bolts come undone on the seat runners.... The tread plate cover can be a pig sometimes but there is plenty of info on here

If you go for a 2 tone look get the door cards as well and swap the cappings that way you could get away without changing the carpet
That's what my 2008 BMW 528 has. Black carpet with dark tan seats and two tone door panels. It looks sweet! How about the rear seats? Do they come out easily?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they come out very easy just 2 nuts and 2 self tappers

Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes they come out very easy just 2 nuts and 2 self tappers
Hi Tony ,
Just the man , to save me ringing you tomorrow and stopping you "working" ....... I'm about to upgrade my rear speakers , I take it that the rear quarter trims come off easily once the back seat is removed ?? or have Jaguar secured them with some of their infamous " Hidden" fasteners ????

All the very best mate ,

NikasilNik

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 725 Posts

@NikasilNik, they come out easily, but yes there's one hidden fastener. Once you remove the rear set bench and backrest you can proceed to remove the quarter panel. There's one hidden fastener on the inside near the area of the backrest. Near the door, the panel is kept in place by the door moulding, if I recall correctly.

All you have to do is pull the quarter panel at you lightly to realize where it's being held. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's fairly easy to remove.

Oh, I almost forgot, you have to remove the leather squab at the top of the quarter panel before you remove the rest. It's held in place by 3 screws. One is near where the door shuts, the other is at the end of the squab and the last one is a big torx screw that also holds the seat belt in place.

@notopm3 Is the XK8 you are eyeing a coupe or a convertible? What about the wrecked one? I don't know if the rear seats are different, but I don't think it's farfetched because, from my understanding, the coupe has more rear legroom. (not that it makes much of a difference for any doomed passengers)

Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
@NikasilNik, they come out easily, but yes there's one hidden fastener. Once you remove the rear set bench and backrest you can proceed to remove the quarter panel. There's one hidden fastener on the inside near the area of the backrest. Near the door, the panel is kept in place by the door moulding, if I recall correctly.

All you have to do is pull the quarter panel at you lightly to realize where it's being held. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's fairly easy to remove.

Oh, I almost forgot, you have to remove the leather squab at the top of the quarter panel before you remove the rest. It's held in place by 3 screws. One is near where the door shuts, the other is at the end of the squab and the last one is a big torx screw that also holds the seat belt in place.

@notopm3 Is the XK8 you are eyeing a coupe or a convertible? What about the wrecked one? I don't know if the rear seats are different, but I don't think it's farfetched because, from my understanding, the coupe has more rear legroom. (not that it makes much of a difference for any doomed passengers)
I am looking at a coupe, but the seats are from a wrecked vert. The guy said he'd sell me the front and rear seats for $600.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Rear seat from a convertible will not fit a coupe!!!!

@ Nik
The quarter panel is held in via a screw in the coat hook, another where the seat belt comes through the panel, look behind the strap, top seat belt bolt anchor under the cover, the belt slide adjuster knob needs to come off, with a small screw driver look underneath it and push up a tab with he screw driver and pull it off, a section of door seal, just pull it away and of course the rear seat itself..... But give me a call Nik if you want

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Rear seat from a convertible will not fit a coupe!!!!

@ Nik
The quarter panel is held in via a screw in the coat hook, another where the seat belt comes through the panel, look behind the strap, top seat belt bolt anchor under the cover, the belt slide adjuster knob needs to come off, with a small screw driver look underneath it and push up a tab with he screw driver and pull it off, a section of door seal, just pull it away and of course the rear seat itself..... But give me a call Nik if you want
Cheers mate , I'll give you a ring at any rate ,
want to get some work done shortly depending how you are fixed

Very best wishes

NikasilNik