XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

badge replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default badge replacement

As you can see in the highlighted area, the Jaguar badge has been pried off the silver backing oval which is still attached to the front quarter panel.

I have ordered and received a replacement but it involves also replacing the silver oval which is still attached to the front q panel. Before I crawl under there and try to get behind the liner, does anyone have previous experience messing with these? If so, anything I should pay attention too? Any suggestions? I would like the car to be as beautiful as possible because in short order she will lead our Mayday parade and carry our Queen. No big deal you say? :O We have the oldest and longest running MAyday celebrations in North America - right here on our little island...

Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

You take the wheel off and then the wheel liner comes out. Easy enough to do. You should be able to see everything clearly after that

The following users liked this post:
Rigelprime (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM

thanks Hare. Seems simple enough...should be able to do that in the carport

Old 04-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Those are just held on with adhesive. You should be able to get some fishing line behind an edge and gently work it around to separate it from the fender.

Rigelprime (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

On my 1997 the badge is pressed with 2 clips holding it in place. You tke one of those thin cards from the grocery store club or an old hotel plastic key. Insert it between the chrome on the front side and push to the rear while prying out with a piece of plastic or wood. The tang should release and the badge pop out.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

This should be the same for the badge.

IXLLER8 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Slight digression but might be of interest ...............

on UK cars, the amber direction indicator is in that position, and the two indicator lamps in the front and rear bumpers (fenders) are just "dumb" amber reflectors. But ........ the wiring is the same for all cars so behind that badge, there's a connector, just as there are two behind my front and rear reflectors.
So - as in the link above - should be possible from outside the car without any major surgery - I can change the bulb in mine without removing wheel and wheelarch-liner.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

That is how I removed the badge in my x308 XJ, there is a signal indicator in the UK cars but in the US cars it is Badges. Why? I don't know.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Your assessment was correct. It was held in place with foam backed adhesive and on the back was a wire pair and connector which had a wire U clip attaching it to the badge oval. Removing it took some small amount of paint in a couple of spots - even though I was very careful and in other areas it left a wicked adhesive that I threw fingernail polish remover at - didn't work but that's ok I didn't like the color of my last pedicure KIDDING!!!) and finally acetone and elbow grease cleaned it up. Now I am just waiting for touch up paint to cure. Will check it in a few hours but it will be an easy install from here.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Something that I should have mentioned is that you could have just removed the inner leaper from the new badge and glued it into the old badge. Sorry.

Occasionally those leaper inserts will show up on ebay without the badge for a much cheaper price too.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 PM

it was too well stuck to remove the leaper but the other bit worked out ok. in fact I had enough time to clean and seal the convertible top as well. Can't wait to see how she looks out in the sun working on her gives me the exercise I need...