XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best location through firewall to feed wires & tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 05:24 PM
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Best location through firewall to feed wires & tubing?

My plan is to add a couple gauges and idiot light and could use a hint as the best location to route wires from engine into the cabin. It is bitter cold in the garage so I don't want to waste a lot of time doing detective work.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

You will find space in the area of the brake pedal.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Check out this thread post 4

Check out this thread (link below) post no4
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hrough-225270/

The real gauge mod is on my to do this for 2020.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys.

I'd seen the epsiode on the real oil pressure readout and that was pretty slick.* Two things come to mind when thinking about penetrating the brake bellows, how much time I've spent squeezed in upside down working on those switches, and how every single time I climb into the drivers seat, the struggle to get my size 12 right shoe out from under the brake pedal! Routing it trough in that area is doable, but have to make darn sure the brake pedal, throttle and my big footsie don't tangle with small tubing & wires.

At this time, my intention is to bring in both a boost/vacuum gauge as well as a vacuum gauge temporarily to study the behavior of the intake both upstream and downstream of the blower. Intent is to delete the blower bypass (done it before) as well as insert a 1 psi pressure switch on boost side to activate intercooler pump (pump off with no boost) and light up a tiny LED under boost.

*I thought about bringing in actual oil pressure and water temp gauges but really don't see an area where two to four gauges can set permanently.

Last edited by jrnsr; 01-22-2020 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (01-22-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

FWIW, some of those data points are available over OBDII, so there is the option of starting with a software gauge on some kind of screen, starting with your phone. Also add the option of recording values and examine them later, eyes on the road and all that. If it is very temporary, you can route hoses under the hood seal and tape a gauge to the windshield. I have done this before for a day with a fuel pressure gauge. Did not want to route fuel in the cabin. Also, I believe our setup for oil pressure is based on a switch, not a real sensor, so a sensor would have to be added. You can find the Jeep Wrangler site and locate the installation instructions for the real gauge setup for a lot of detail.

The intercooler pump runs all the time I believe. Is this too noisy that you want to turn it off? FWIW, folks have identified a cheaper replacement pump (Bosch?) that is almost an exact fit.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM

fmertz,

Thanks for the input. The engineer in me wants to know what going on under the hood and have added gauges to lots of cars in the past, including taped outside in front of the windshield temporarily. I also love the Jag interior and do not want to clutter it up. I have wanted to set cell phone or tablet in for OBDII wireless Bluetooth feedback, but haven't had a chance to really drive it yet with critical repairs required and now salty, snow covered roads.

My experience with the blower bypass is not good. In another car (without cruise control) with the same supercharger, trying to cruise at a steady 70 mph was not possible. The bypass would slowly speed it up or slow it down. It would try to accelerate on a curve unexpectedly (not gross, but just subtle). The argument for less parasitic loss is a pretty weak reason for the bypass and I don't want less torque at low rpms. Give me a linear throttle response rather than a sudden bump in the power curve. The fly-by-wire throttle might provide a stabilizing feedback not possible with the typical hardware gas pedal. Before eliminating the bypass, the two gauges will shed some light on the behavior of the throttle body and the bypass, even better than sticking a camera in the intake to watch the butterfly. I like the idea of an LED alerting me to boost while driving, which will likely be tucked away permanently in some nook and cranny.

As for the intercooler pump, it a parasitic drain for the majority of the time. It needlessly wears the pump out. A pressure switch will kick it in when pressure rises to around 1 psi. I'd like to stick thermocouples in upstream and downstream of the intercoolers to see if the ambient temperature coolant is actually heating the air/fuel when there's no boost. The heat exchangers may actually be cooled by the intake vacuum without the circulation.

Last edited by jrnsr; 01-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (01-23-2020)