XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)

I am planning to attend a wedding in Massachusetts in August 2013. I decided that instead of flying from Florida, that my wife and I would drive the XK8. It will be by far the longest trip with the car. But my question here isn't really about the car (I will find the thread someone started a while ago about a spares and tools kit to bring), rather, I am seeking advice about the Blue Ridge Parkway. I plan to take some extra time on the way up and not take I95, but instead drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am sure many here have driven the Parkway, but does anyone have any suggestions or advice? For instance, is it feasible to stay on the parkway for its' entire length, or are there sections to stay away from for any reason, or, does it make sense to get on further north and not at the beginning or get off further south not at the end? Does anyone have any stops, places, towns, historic sights, etc that you feel just should not be missed or skipped (or tourist traps that are a waste of time for that matter)? If I take the parkway north to the end, has anyone ever continued north like I am on into Massachusetts, and thus, any suggestions on the route, such as "avoid" certain roads/highways etc? After the Blue Ridge ends, we probably would be wanting to get on the highways into Massachusetts, or maybe head into Amish Country, not sure. I know i can plan all of this on the internet, but just throught i would try to include experienced resources from here as well.

Also, if anyone lives along the route, I was wondering if maybe through PM's I could get some contacts in case I have a car issue or something and need assistance? I am not asking for handouts or anything and wouldn't want to impose on anyone, but I think that if someone from the forum was travling through my general area and had an issue, I would be willing to offer guidance on where to go locally to get help etc, or possibly bring them a tool if needed, that's all I am thinking...

On that note, maybe it would be interesting to have some sort of "Help Registry" that we could sign up for. For instance, if we would be willing to help out or just meet passing fellow XK8/XKR owners as they travel through are area, we could sign up. I am not sure how that might work with people being concerned about privacy etc, but maybe there is some merit to such a system, and maybe it can be "locked" with only "approved access" or something...just thinking out loud on this. I think there are some of these for Harley owners (I can't remember for sure about that and I gave up the Harley for the Jaguar). But it might be interesting to have a database. Maybe we could have local forum member contacts; a section showing what the member is willing to offer (such as meet other passing members, tools/garage for emergencies; seach the internet for them; temporary lodging, etc). The database could have GPS coordinates of members, and names of local dealers and indies, nearest POI' that local members recommend along the route?

Finally, I might be interested in trying to put together some sort of casual "meet and greet" somewhere along the route in the Blue Ridge Parkway and maybe other forum members would be interested in driving the road, meeting at a restaurant somewhere along the way, seeing each others cars, putting faces to screen names, etc if there is interest. I am not the best Social Activities director out there so if someone else really wanted to manage that then by all means I would be happy to let them... Just some food for thought.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 01-18-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I live at the south end in the Georgia mountains and have ridden the parkway all the way, in pieces, mostly on a motorcycle. Absolutely beautiful drive. You must understand that the Parkway is a 45 mph roadway and when you tie in the Skyline Drive extension into VA this is about a 3-4 day trip. Well worth it but it is for the enjoyment of the ride, not for getting somewhere. Might be best enjoyed in one day bites.

The Honda GoldWing GWRRA organization publishes an inch thick book of owners with various offers of assistance indicated but that might be a little much for this forum's members. A quick post with questions or requests for assistance would surely get a quick response.

There has been several efforts over the years to organize a ride/meet without success. I would sign on for something south of Asheville.

If I can help, holler

tp

Last edited by test point; 01-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Testpoint is right...it's an amazing drive, but you have to understand what you're in for. If you've got the time to really slow down for a few days and enjoy it, you'll be very pleased with the experience. Otherwise, just choose a section and do it for a day or an afternoon.

I'm in Greenville, South Carolina - about 50 minutes south of the Blue Ridge Parkway as it crosses over Interstate 26 south of Asheville, NC. I'd be happy to help out or meet up if I'm available.

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I am in Winston Salem, north-western NC, about an hour from the NC / VA border.

+1 on the other comments. There is a lot to see on and just off the Parkway. I too, enjoy it with the motorcycle or with the top-down.

If I am availbale I would be glad to meet or help!

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
WGS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least on the Skyline Drive, watch out for deer on the road. There are times of the year and times of the day when they will be out roaming.

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Like others have said---the speed is probably a factor in making good time on the parkway, but if that's not a consideration the beauty is unbelievable. As my signature says I'm in A'ville about 5 miles from the parkway. I've got tools and a garage but to be serious haven't needed to do much work on my R except for the normal maint. Would love to meet up with you if around during that time. If there's interest we could pull together a forum get-together in the area. Keep us posted on the proposed dates.

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

We are 5 minutes off I 26 about 90 miles south of Asheville, in Newberry SC about 35 miles west of Columbia SC. You can count us in or if you need assistance. we love the Brevard NC area and stay at a B&B at least once a month, great staging area for cool weather mountain runs. Also some of the best waterfalls in NC. Jim

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I live just north of Charlotte in the Lake Norman area.
Have spent a lot of time on the Parkway and collectively have ridden it all, also mostly on motorcycles.
If you have the time you will love it.
I would definitely be interested in a meeting of the cats for lunch. A good suggestion might be the Pisgah Inn on the Parkway maybe :30 to :45 minuets south of Asheville. They have a large parking area for the cars to gather, fantastic view and the food in the restaurant is really good.
A don't miss is a pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch in Mt. Airy NC ( Andy Griffiths hometown)not far off of the parkway. You will not forget it!
Check your Private mail.
2x

SteveJacks (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Berlin,

I'm heading over to Brevard Tuesday evening to check out the new Oskar Blues Brewery I'm looking forward to enjoying the Dale's Deviant IPA . They don't serve meals yet but understand that's coming in the future. We'll have to meet up one these days.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Mountain sounds like a plan. This month is a mess due to all the probate issues, traveling to the Greenville area almost every weekend. I hope to have everything resolved by mid March and we will be ready for a weekend get away in your neck of the woods!!!! Would love to see some of the area east and north of Ashville. Will send a pm soon. Jim

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Berlin, sounds like a plan--good luck with probate---it can be a long process depending on the state. By the way a group of friends and us (my wife & me) stop by Oskar Blues for a visit last night and guess what---the tap room is closed because they're having an employee Christmas party???? So we're like where did you post this on your website---oh, we posted on Facebook and of course looks at me and says "I take it you're on Facebook all day--right?" He of course was joking and felt bad we had driven from Asheville to check out the brewery. After a few minutes of bantering back n' forth we got a quick tour of the tap room and he felt bad, so he gives a case of Dale's Pale Ale along with some tee shirts! He was very nice and told us to come back another time which we will at some point. We ended up having dinner at Square Root in downtown Brevard and must say the food was excellent along with ale from Oskar Blues.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I started this thread several months ago with the idea that while driving our XK8 from Jacksonville FL to Massachusetts and back via the Blue Ridge Parkway, that maybe some members could do a meet and greet some where along the way, maybe halfway in the mountains or something. I am sorry to all who responded then that I didn’t follow through and set up something. While we did make the trip, and we did take time to visit various places all along the way, we still were on a tight schedule, and I needed the flexibility to make small changes to the itinerary/route when needed and when it made sense, therefore, I felt it was best to not set up a meet. While I did have a general route planned, it was in pencil, and along the way, some things led us out of our path and even though we strayed, we tried to follow the general plan. In the end, I admit it would have been nice to meet up with other XK8/R forum members, I know now it would not have been all that feasible.

As I said, we did make the trip with the XK8, and I was alittle apprehensive, in the back of my mind, about taking this car. But this is what I bought it for and I have not really had any issues with it (since apparently resolving the multiple bad fuel pumps - see my old posts about that if interested), so we took the car, with the acceptance that if something did happen mechanically, if I couldn’t deal with it with what I brought with me, then we leave it and rent and finish the trip.

With all of that said and out of the way, I have one sentence to sum up the experience: What a great car to take for this trip! We had no problems whatsoever. It is such a driver’s car, so easy to cruise on the highway and back roads, and easy to drive in the twisty turns, and fantastic on the long steep grades, and comfortable, as well as plenty room (although everyinch of the trunk was filled). We started out with 87,272 miles on the odometer. When we returned 14 days later, the odometer read 90,956 which is a total of 3,684 miles in exactly 14 days. 132.1 gallons of gasoline (and ½ quart of oil) were used which averages out to what in my opinion is an amazing 27.9 miles per gallon. I drove the speed limit most of the way, and with the speed of traffic in the fast lane in the busy areas around New Jersey and New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts, at times cruising at 85 mph. I also am surprised at how good the fuel mileage was while in the Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountains. When I said this is what I bought the car for, I also feel like this is what the car was made for: cruising, mountains, and going up steep grades etc. What a great drive with so much power it was nearly effortless with plenty of reserve power on long steep grades.

One of the best things I did for peace of mind last year was install WhiteXKR’s Real Gauge coolant temp and oil pressure products. It was as I said a great peace of mind to see that in outside temps of the mid-80’sthroughout the entire trip, I knew exactly what my coolant temp was, particularly while going up those steep hills for miles and miles. The car never over-heated even though on 2 occasions I watched that temp needle closely, it got beyond that certain point, although elevated, not overheated, and stayed there. Again, knowing is so much better than guessing. Thank you Steve for agreat product!

Another interesting observation about the car is that the more I drove it, the better it ran. This surprised me because I felt that the car ran very well before. So, each day we drove no more than about 6 hours. Day one was highway to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to Cleveland TN via Maggie Valley NC (BTW, the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley is a must see if you enjoy antique motorcycles and cars). All seemed normal, car ran perfectly fine. I noticed a little bit of soot on the rear bumper when we left Cleveland Tennessee and drove to Asheville North Carolina via rugged mountain highways, some of which as I mentioned were very long and steep grades…one uphill climb was probably 15 miles. But when we left, I thought to myself that the car seemed to have more power, was smoother too. When we got to Asheville there was even more soot on the back of the car. I truly believe the long runs up hills burned out carbon inside the engine. I have no other explanation for it. I didn’t use any fuel additives throughout the trip either. Anyhow, throughout the rest of the trip, I was continuously amazed at how well the car ran.

This is a long post, so I won’t bore you with all of the rest of the details, but we saw some amazing places on this trip: White Water Rafting on the Ocoee River in Cleveland TN, the Wheels through time Museum in Maggie Valley NC, the great aquarium in Atlanta, The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, Monticello in Charlottesville VA, the Blue Ridge Parkway and SkylineDrive, Amish country in Lancaster PA, and Gettysburg, the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts, and all of our friends and family that still are in Massachusetts. Oh and one more thing, I only saw one other XK8 the entire 2 weeks – it looked like a 2006 based on the trunk lid shape, was dark gray, convertible. It was in Gettysburg PA sitting at a tire shop with the spare tire mounted passenger rear. Other than that, no other sightings. I did get alot of looks and comments though.

I attached a couple of pics of the car (wife thinks I am nuts taking pics of the car, oh well, she doesn't understand)

Attached Thumbnails Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)-img_4464.jpg   Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)-img_4451.jpg   Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)-img_4458.jpg  

Last edited by SteveJacks; 09-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
sklimii (09-08-2013), WhiteXKR (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I live in Hickory NC, about 40 minutes from the parkway. Spent every summer growing up at our family cabin. I've also taken my XK8 on the parkway and LOVE it! Each year there is a Jaguar meet at Little Switzerland and its awesome taking the parkway to get there! Out of the way for me, but worth it!!
Great photos!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

So, anyone want to try again for a Jaguar/Forum meet somewhere around Asheville . . . sometime just before the crush of the leaf season. I still live within an easy day's drive from there and am very flexible as to time.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by test point
So, anyone want to try again for a Jaguar/Forum meet somewhere around Asheville . . . sometime just before the crush of the leaf season. I still live within an easy day's drive from there and am very flexible as to time.
Throw out a date!!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

October 14 - 15. Mid week and some color but no traffic. Nothing worst than driving the Parkway at 30 mph behind a minivan.

Someone near Asheville please scout a hotel/motel. The Grove Park Inn is, of course, the top tier but there are many other really nice destinations.

Would some local person suggest one or more meeting places to assist in defining the forum member interest?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default Third effort!

There has been several unsuccessful attempts, over several years to have a casual 'meet' somewhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lets try one more time.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

There has been several unsuccessful attempts, over several years to have a casual 'meet' somewhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lets try one more time.
I think you should start a committed thread.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

I would be happy to but would like to have:

Date - October 14 - 15
Suggested Lodging in Asheville area:
Suggested meeting place -

No idea of how many may show up as the previous answer has always been zero. Thinking of a Golden Coral/Ryan's Steak House for a dinner. Eight or 20 would not cause a problem there.

If we can use this thread to hammer together those details then we can post a commitment thread.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I would be happy to but would like to have:

Date - October 14 - 15
Suggested Lodging in Asheville area:
Suggested meeting place -

No idea of how many may show up as the previous answer has always been zero. Thinking of a Golden Coral/Ryan's Steak House for a dinner. Eight or 20 would not cause a problem there.

If we can use this thread to hammer together those details then we can post a commitment thread.

I will be home for those dates, so let's see what we can do.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway trip (and other stuff too)