XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I make my iPhone 5s work in my pre-wired 2003 XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can I make my iPhone 5s work in my pre-wired 2003 XK8?

I apologize in advance for the probable length of this post, but here it is:

A couple of weeks ago, I flew down to Miami and bought my first Jaguar -- exactly the car I was looking for -- a 2003 British racing green convertible with tan top, no GPS, and less than 60K miles (this one had 13.5K miles!). I am such a lucky and happy man! I immediately added ten percent to its total mileage by driving it on a leisurely trip back to Oklahoma. Everything works fine, but . . .

According to the VIN info tool (last six characters: A31083), it's pre-wired for the phone option, which on some level I guess means that an old Motorola V60 can be added to it for full functionality with hands-free operation. Naturally, even though I have a couple of old V60s, I'd rather use a modern phone, like my iPhone 5s that uses a bluetooth interface. Naturally, I'd like to be able to preserve all the functionality of hands-free operation, automatic muting of (my Alpine) audio system, and the buttons on the steering column and radio.

I've scoured this forum and others for relevant threads, and the upshot seems to be that there is no simple single solution (the technology having been modified month-by month apparently), but there are a bunch of alternative methods for adding limited functionality, or better functionality while adding extra stuff to the existing infrastructure (like Parrot screens, e.g., which I'd rather not do). It is also not clear just what the pre-wiring in my car actually supports: just the old V60? maybe a bluetooth module? is there a microphone up there somewhere already? just what is actually in there, and how do I get to it?

So I'd like to ask afresh: Is there some way to activate all the built-in hands-free functionality using my iPhone?

It's a pleasure to walk (drive?) among you all.

Best regards,
Mike

Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

It's possible to set the car up with a hands free bluetooth system, but not without some amount of work.

It's highly unlikely that you have a hands free microphone, I've only ever head of these with the factory bluetooth option, which came very late in the production run (05-06). These systems can sometimes be found, but usually at some ridiculous cost.

That said, the wiring and connectors are in place for a mic up by the overhead console and a phone connection with radio mute, etc, in the center console. It is possible to build up your own connections and wire in an aftermarket bluetooth such as a Parrot system.

This was one of the first mods I did and several years on it still works well. My car also has the nav screen so part of the project was to make something useful out of that but the bluetooth aspect should be exactly the same in your 2003.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-screen-70526/

I still have a few of the connectors and pins if you are interested in taking the project on.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Even if you found a late production XK8/R bluetooth parts car and moved the audio system over to yours, there is no guarantee it would work with an iPhone 5. I've heard that those bluetooth cars are hit or miss in terms of connectivity. I don't even think it is possible to connect an aftermarket bluetooth adapter to one of the older systems that did not come with that option. The mid-2000s saw lot of significant changes in car audio to include ditching optical drives altogether.

How badly do you want to keep the stock system? It is possible to do a makeover and keep the original parts if you think some future buyer might be interested in them.

I ask because if you want bluetooth it's probably best to start fresh with a whole new system. If you stick with the single-din stock radio size, your options will be a bit more limited but it is still possible (that's what I did). Now that i see some people were able to fit a double-din radio in the console by moving the row of switches for hazard, heated seats, etc. into the center armrest cavity I definitely would have gone with that route. There are far more head units available with in the double-din form factor, all of which should be iPhone compatible. Personally I don't understand the attachment to the stock audio system - it wasn't all that great when the car came out and like all electronics, it doesn't get any better with age.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Killer Blutooth kit for audio and iPhone w/o changing your factory dash install

Dealer service guru (ex Coventry UK master mechanic) convinced me to scrap the JAG OEM approach and to go 2014 Blutooth after market

Parrot MKi9200 blutooth hands free car kit for phone and digital player connectivity.

Just had it installed in my 03 XK8 convertible under dealer recommendation and supervision.

Full hands free...AND full cable plugin harness as well
(1) Has full IPhone 4 cable (I use) that needs the iPhone plug adapter for durect cable plugin,
(2) has USB plugin also,
(3) has RCA plugin fir other MP3 players
(4) has SD card
= full iPhone/iPod/MP3/USB/SDcard access fir all your tunes.

Separate LCD screen with full display on what's playing and menu access to your address book and playlist
FULL Voice activated phone in and out with auto audio cutout om incoming outgoing calks full integration into your audio system without disturbing anything in your factory OEM system installation

Phone mikes (twin) strategically installed on the dash just below the top edge and just under top of steering wheel visually (convertible placement)

master control "joystick" and green / red button module mounted on centre console just in front of the convertible top switch (alternatively it can be steering wheel mounted so that you have thumb action access just like the "prewired" old OEM button.

Highly recommended
PM for pics and additional details if required
(

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Addendum

Blutooth phone intuitively
Audio plays either via handsfree Blutooth or by way of cable harness per above.
Blutooth audio streamed from your iPhone/iPod/ Smartphone/MP3 player sounds good

BUT

Frequency response and audio slam dynamics are noticeably better when you use the plugin harness approach to use just like the CD changer button approach .

Tge only catch is that the iPhone/iPod won't charge automatically while you use the harness
Okay ... If you want to charge and play at the same time then use the Blutooth streaming (wireless) approach while you plug a charger in through the cigarette lighter

Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM

2nd addendum

mini removable full .colour LCD screen dash mounted on a mini USB slidein mount that permits you to slide it off / remove and put it into it's own velour sleeve that goes into the glovebox or your pocket ,

I believe that you can pair up to 10 different phones

Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mikerocosm, I just got back to OKC from El Paso with mine. We should find some time for a meet and greet.