XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATS Shocks Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CATS Shocks Replacement

The XKR has just turned 80,xxx, so it seems to be time to look at replacing the shocks. I've got the CATS system, and the replacements seem to be going for about $500 - $600 per wheel.

I've been reading the threads here, but I wanted to get the latest insight.

What options are there if I want to keep the CATS functionality? My car guy said there is a Bilstein option that is a wee bit cheaper that the Jag option. Has anyone used Bilsteins? Do they have a model that functions with the CATS?

What are the current prices? Anyone finding any deals?

Also, Avos mentioned someone in The Netherlands who would rebuild the Jag shocks. Being in the US, I don't want to have to ship the shocks to Europe, so is there a US alternative for rebuilding?

Thanks,

-lux

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Although I am doing a complete suspension refurb including H&R springs, it feels as though my CATS shock still seem to be well functioning. While replacing the lower shock bushings, I noticed the Identifying stampings just above the shock mount, most noticibly, the Jaguar leaper, and low and behold, BILSTEIN, made in Germany.
These appear to be the OEM Cats shocks on my 2000 XKR. I wonder if they are the same on your 02 lux?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 PM

I'm sure I'm still running the original shocks. My car guy mentioned that Bilstein made replacement shocks that maintained the CATS functionality and were about $100 less per shock, I believe. But, I had this conversation with him about a month ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy in recalling the details.

Last edited by hypoluxo; 03-31-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Am not aware of any new replacement shocks, but you can have then rebuild in the US :
Service

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Bilstein also has an online parts catalog:
Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

The Bilstein part numbers can help you search for more resellers but you won't get away for less than $350-400 per wheel either way. All of the shocks are made by Bilstein so it's just the differences in dealer markup that you see.

The down side of a rebuild is that the car is out of commission for a couple weeks while you wait, unless you just happen to have a spare set laying around.

If you do talk to Bilstein about a rebuild, you will need the actual part numbers from the shocks on the car for them to quote you a price and lead time. They won't be able to tell you anything from the Jaguar numbers or the online catalog number.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Another thought - usually, the lower shock bushing goes - pushing for replacement of the entire CATS shock. If you see no evidence of oil leakage from the shock - I believe they now sell the shock bushings (check SNG Barrett) just press the replacement in...

Just my $0.02

Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI: When I first purchased by 2002 XKR coupe, the front suspension felt sloppy on city streets so I blindly looked into my CATS shocks and inquired with Bilstein about having them maintained. Three to five days later a Billstein rep called me and told me my part numbers indicated the shocks could not be refurbished or worked on in any way by them in an official capacity

So AVOS found a special route for the shocks that most of us would never find

My previous owner then clarified he had replaced the front shocks with new OEM units and that ended my inquiry on shocks. It turned out the key element were the lower control arm bushings.

While I have to have the softer setting of the Jag CATS to survive the numerous rough asphalt patches on normal city streets here in Denver CO, the firm setting is handy in the corners. Unfortunately they don't react fast enough. In my case, I am about to have someone create a switch so I can manually change their state on the fly when I know I am going to be taking some corners. Drive in the firm state all the time and you will find your car becomes bouncy.

If I were to go with new shocks, I would seriously consider non CATS as before the 2010 model they were simply 2 stage, and slow to react; 2010 introduced fast reacting, continuously variable shocks that really worked quickly enough.

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Personally I wouldn't want to go without CATS, as it does add more smoothness which I prefer to have as well (so less bumpy compared to just 1 setting i.e. the stiff mode all the time), that’s why I opted for a general stiffer setting whilst remain the CATS function.

I wouldn’t think that Billstein themselves would change settings whilst refurbishment, but I know now while doing mine it isn’t for just any good shop to do (even just the refurbishment). Not that I want to promote stiffening (but it feels sooo much better) and can imagine with a slowly tired old shock it will even make a good difference going to stock levels gain.

Last edited by avos; 04-02-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the input and links, guys. I'm going to check out the Bilstein options.