XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Rear Lights - only 3rd brake light lit - always!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Check Rear Lights - only 3rd brake light lit - always!

2000 XKR Convertible - 108,897 miles.

A couple weeks ago the check rear lights notice appeared intermittently when signalling right AND braking. Then it was anytime the right turn signal was on. And it blinked fast, like a bulb was burnt.

Visual check of the right rear bulbs appeared good. Bought some bulbs anyway (they are 13 years old!) and pulled the cluster again to see if any were out. One glass bulb was missing this time - the base was still in the socket! Replaced that one. That was easy.

Not so fast. Still got the warning - sometimes. Replaced more bulbs. better for a few days. Then started alerting any time the right signal was on, but when I had the cluster out, they all worked fine. Grrrrr...

Then the alert appeared when in reverse (back up lights lit and brake applied). then began alerting even without the brake applied, when in reverse.

Yesterday the "check rear lights" alert was on all the way home from work. Checked when I got home and right AND left clusters were completely dark (no tail lights or brake lights) and the third brake light (on the boot lid) was lit, even without the brakes activated. GGGGGRRRRR??????

Same thing today. I'm guessing it's something with a wiring short or a switch somewhere. In the early stages the alert went away when I released the brake. Then it required releasing the brake and accelerating slightly. Made me think some movement or momentum was in the equation. My dreadful fear is that it is a short in a wiring harness as it rubs somewhere deep within the car.

What do you think?

Am I going to burn out something running it with the third brake light lit continuously? I'm guessing that might be a fail-safe to proved some kind of light to the rear when the others fail.?.?

Oh, BTW, got the green drip, too.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Inspect the ground connection (black wire ) on the connectors...they are known to burn up. Attached is the fix.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tail light fix.pdf (309.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Inspect the ground connection (black wire ) on the connectors...they are known to burn up. Attached is the fix.
Thank You, Steve! Will report what I find.
Love this place.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

+1 on White XKR's recommendation - had the same issue several months back before I started using the forum religiously. Dealer wanted over $1500 to replace BPM but forum saved me by following the fix above.