XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top not alligned

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top not alligned

The convertible top moved to about 0.5 cm (1/5 of an inch) forward. This means that it is not aligned anymore with the windshield and it is closing with difficulty. I do not understand how it happened.
I had a look at the top and I didn’t see any way to trim its position. I asked a Jaguar garage and they told me that they never did it. Worrying…
Does anyone had this experience ?
Thank you

Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Either there is a joint connection loose or the top frame has been bent by manual operation. There are two 'pins in the top that should align with two 'holes' in the windshield top rail. I assume that you are saying that the pins/holes are not aligned. One side or both sides?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM

You are right: the 2 pins are not alligned with the 2 holes: the right/left alignment is perfect but both pins are about 1/5 inch forward compare to the holes. I can close the top but I need to stop it before it completely closes and align it by hand....

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The rams must fully extend and lock into place before the roof will latch. With the roof not completing the sequence I would recommend checking the fluid level in the reservoir and that the petcock is closed.

Alignment is not perfect. That is why the claw in the center pulls it into position.

Last edited by Gus; 04-22-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Add alignment
Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Being 'forward', the lifts/rams surely are fully extended. That is rather strange for it to be overshooting the holes. Any chance that section of the top (the front) was stressed by placing something on top of it? Also, make sure the hinges are fully allowing it to unfold...being just after winter, maybe its binding a bit or resisting the rotation of the hinge pin in that regard.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I agree with h20, This sure feels like some sort of unusual stress has deformed the top.

BFed,
Has anyone unusual had access to the car, like a repair shop or something like that? Any massive snowfalls? (only half joking on that second one)

We may have to invent some sort of procedure to try to reshape the top. No idea pops into my head as to how that might be done. A little scary to contemplate.

Last edited by Dennis07; 04-23-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

BFed,

Before you become overly concerned with the roof alignment you need to know if any work has been performed on the latch, latch hose where the header was removed or relocated. The header may have been installed and not aligned properly. It could also be a few loose bolts.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM

I had my car about 5 years ago and the top was functionning very well. It always sleps in the garage and I do not use it too often especially in winter and never under the snow (!). About one year ago I needed to help it close by gently pulling the roof down using the handle. On the first time I put the top down this year (3 weeks ago), it did not close and stayed blocked. Fluid level was OK.
I cannot think about any stress the roof had since I bought it. I ckecked the metal hinges that are behind the back seat and everything seems normal; no rust, no moving pieces...
I could envisage what Gus said: some lose bolts that made the roof move with road bumps. I could check the bolts that are fixing the top to the bodywork. Does anyone know were they are?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I need to ask a few questions as we go along to better understand the situation. First do you have Skype or are you able to use it? It is a video conference using your computer.

In your last post you make a comment that leads me to believe that you had to manually open or close the roof. If this is the case how did you get the roof down? The roof operation has an interlocking system to prevent the roof from opening unless you unlock it first. If you forced it in any way you may have created the problem you now have. If you are attempting to close the roof manually it may not line up properly. Can you give me a little more history so I can better understand the problem?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 AM

Gus,
I have input my skype code in my profile. We can discuss with pleasure. I am at GMT + 1.

About one year ago, I had to close the roof manualy by following the procedure in the user manual and had no problem doing it. That was the only time I did it (except for the very recent event where I had to close it manually because the roof was not aligned).

I recently look at the Jaguar documentation but there is no mention of how to adjust the top neither on how the top is attached to the car body...

Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BFed236
Gus,
I have input my skype code in my profile. We can discuss with pleasure. I am at GMT + 1.

About one year ago, I had to close the roof manualy by following the procedure in the user manual and had no problem doing it. That was the only time I did it (except for the very recent event where I had to close it manually because the roof was not aligned).

I recently look at the Jaguar documentation but there is no mention of how to adjust the top neither on how the top is attached to the car body...
I was out of town and was unable to respond to your note. Check your Skype for a message.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Default Top fixed

I got my car repaired by a Jaguar dealer. They never had the case before. They foud out that it came from the pump that was did not deliver enough power. Instead of changing the pump that costs about 2000USD, they did adjust the mechanism (not sure exactly what...).
Thanb you all for your suggestions !

Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I got my car repaired by a Jaguar dealer. They never had the case before. They foud out that it came from the pump that was did not deliver enough power. Instead of changing the pump that costs about 2000USD, they did adjust the mechanism (not sure exactly what...).
Best to let sleeping dogs lie of course, but I can't make any sense out of their explanation to you. How a weak pump could move the top into a position too far forward ... beats me.

Every bone in my body says someone, when you weren't there to see it, put something heavy on the top while it was raised.

But glad it's fixed in any case.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The pump is what it is and know on no adjustments. I think that was a knee jerk reaction from them. As for the adjustment I could understand if the cables were broken or elongated or the frame was bent or one of the pivoting joints were broken or worn but they should tell you what it was. Just thinking outside the box but it could also be something jammed between the joints. Sure would like to know.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 94 XJS, but my top falls short of the nipples making the holes. Anyone know a fix for that??

Tony

Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Since us XK8/R folks do not know how the referenced issue happened or even how it got fixed I would suggest that you would be better served on the XJS forum.